Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

e2 Membership

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

petebfrance
4 Aug 2014 - 10:17 AM

Not sure that 'Inspiration' is the right word, really. I think it was an 'inspired choice' and rather nice, but tbh I only ever looked at what was there when I decided to try a bit more exploring 2 years after I joined, and was surprised to find useful stuff there that I'd have expected to come under a more prosaic heading like 'techniques' or whatever..... Yes, I'd seen that sort of useful stuff before and wondered where it was hidden away on the site.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Aug 2014 - 10:17 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
4 Aug 2014 - 11:25 AM

Quote: Come to think of it, one really has to go looking for stuff on this site. It might be me, but most of what I've found useful has been right under my nose, and I've accidentally stumbled over it. Am I an exception, along with cat, or would a better organised site be in order? I'll wager that whatever cat wants out of the site is already here, but like so many other things, is not readily apparent.

Quote: I know we can go to the Inspiration tab and do a search but perhaps a better way of promoting the feature and an easier / more intuitive way of searching is possible ?

Quote: 'Search ...' box is my friend, but sometimes the results it returns are either completely out of date (although still useful reading) or just kind of random.

I recently made the mistake of pointing out in one of these ongoing threads that navigating this place is a nightmare and my remark, as is usual in these forums, was met with sarcasm, scorn and derision.

TanyaH
TanyaH Critique Team 11587 forum postsTanyaH vcard United Kingdom48 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2014 - 11:49 AM

Hopefully not by me, Jester - and if it was, then it certainly wasn't intentional in any way Sad (My sense of humour isn't always perhaps as 'normal' as it should be, and does get taken wrong ...)

Sometimes it takes a few goes of someone/several someones saying things for it to filter through people's brains, and realise that the person who originally said it (or subsequently added to that particular thought) actually had/has a point ...

Last Modified By TanyaH at 4 Aug 2014 - 11:49 AM
keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023175 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2014 - 11:56 AM

That's because in comparison to similar sites it's very easy to navigate.

I don't get why people find it difficult. The menu is easy to view and well segmented and there's a structured site map.

Jestertheclown

Quote: Hopefully not by me, Jester

No, that wasn't a pop at you Tanya, or indeed, at anyone in particular; it was more an indictment of the kind of response that I've learned to expect on here.

Chris_L
Chris_L e2 Member 1251 forum postsChris_L vcard United Kingdom
4 Aug 2014 - 3:28 PM

Quote: I recently made the mistake of pointing out in one of these ongoing threads that navigating this place is a nightmare and my remark, as is usual in these forums, was met with sarcasm, scorn and derision.

Perhaps your mistake was to claim that navigating epz is a nightmare, which is different from saying that you personally find it difficult, it's something you've said for years so what would make it easier for you, what actually is it that's a nightmare, do you feel that some items are in the wrong menus, do you think some menu items are badly named / too ambiguous?

TanyaH
TanyaH Critique Team 11587 forum postsTanyaH vcard United Kingdom48 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2014 - 3:41 PM

Blush ... I've kind of got a confession to make now ... Having decided to do a bit of 'research' about how hard / non-intuitive / otherwise the site is to navigate and find information on, I thought I'd go off over lunch and have a wander round to see what I could find ... And I actually found a heck of a lot of information on techniques that is extremely interesting for me at the moment, as I'm trying to deepen my knowledge of PS and Lightroom ... And yes, there's probably a book somewhere that has all the bits of information in it that I'd ever want ... But ... *cough* ... I've just learned how to 'make' a rainbow in PS, among other things ...

Maybe not a ground-breaking or an earth-shattering technique in itself, and yes I'd rather be out and capture one in reality ... but hey, it may come in awfully useful one day in one of my composites that I'm learning about Smile

So although I still think that there sooooo much information on here it's hard to find it without getting waylaid by other interesting stuff along the way, I've gotta admit that when I do find it, it's very useful ...

I think I'm going to tape my mouth shut for a while ... Smile

Last Modified By TanyaH at 4 Aug 2014 - 3:43 PM
Chris_L
4 Aug 2014 - 4:01 PM

The Related Content feature, to the right of your screen, is meant to help you discover stuff that is relevant to the subject you're reading about. It's not bad for a machine-generated widget (news needs more improvement which I've posted about).

It would be great if epz had a human editor in the forums, kind of like a mod but different. If this is a magazine then maybe it needs this kind of approach.

The main job of that person would be to point folk to the correct epz technique or review that will help them with their forum post thus keeping them onsite rather than others just sending them offsite which is what happens most of the time. An editor.

pink
pink  111714 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2014 - 4:06 PM

Many years ago there used to be lots of fresh member articles posted on epz, a lot of them following group meetings/photo expeditions. Some of these accounts were very interesting and certainly gave you a chuckle over a coffee break. You don't really see this much now, is it that there are no group meetings anymore? Do we all still go out and take pictures? I know the groups are very quiet these days (already mentioned in this thread). For me some of the items I used to enjoy seem to have fizzled out!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318456 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
4 Aug 2014 - 4:10 PM

The thing is it's impossible to put everything so it's easy to find. If you did you would have everything shouting at you and you'd be bewildered and complain it was too messy. Go into a supermarket and you dont get hit with a sign at the door that says we stock carrots, soap, nappies, toothbrushes, sweetcorn, asprins, etc, etc etc, (list of etcs goes on until you reach the end of the 73,000 stocked items). Likewise you dont get all the 73,000 products in front of you either. No, you walk through the door and there's some aspect of what you are about to go and find. You then have to navigate around to find the various sections, and then when you are at the section you can filter down to what you want. Some people will never see the CDS and DVDs because they never make it past the pots and pans...etc. There probably wont be a toilet sign at the door either and there might not be a customer services or refund desk. Doesnt mean it's crap. You just would assume it would have such thing and go find it or ask.
A web site as vast as this one is the same.

Chris_L
6 Aug 2014 - 11:37 PM

Groupon showed the power of group buying. E2 members are a significantly large group, there are services that a single individual may use once a year if that, but as a group it could be a daily thing.

Was just reading one of the [many] copyright threads earlier.

I couldn't afford to hire a dedicated copyright lawyer to chase payment for images used without permission or to send cease and desist emails for me. Nor could most of the members here. Also there's a lot of legal areas that a photographer might want advice on.

Might be worth offering legal services to e2 members; even if it was just a once a week forum Q&A surgery or a discount on employing them to do other tasks.

I think you could offer other Q&A sessions (exclusive to e2 members) with experts from different areas of photography.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315622 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Aug 2014 - 11:51 PM

Quote: Many years ago there used to be lots of fresh member articles posted on epz, a lot of them following group meetings/photo expeditions. Some of these accounts were very interesting and certainly gave you a chuckle over a coffee break. You don't really see this much now, is it that there are no group meetings anymore? Do we all still go out and take pictures? I know the groups are very quiet these days (already mentioned in this thread). For me some of the items I used to enjoy seem to have fizzled out!

Are groups available to E2 membership only or are they open to all, I can find no information for this.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014921 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Aug 2014 - 5:24 AM

Not quite on topic re E2, but it pays to be creative; a number of years ago, I had to send my Nikon D70 in for repairs. They were very smug when I asked when I would get it back, six to eight weeks. I said, but this is my only camera, I'll miss all of the Spring season. That's the normal repair period, we're very busy. Not to even mention that Nikon didn't have a repair rep in my city of a million people, it had to be sent to Vancouver. I waited and waited, 4 weeks, 5 weeks, 6 weeks. Finally, I had enough, I couldn't even get any info on what was happening. Then I thought about the power of numbers, I typed out a big expose on Nikon's poor service and told the story about my case, posted it in a thread with a derogatory title about Nikon on here, and sent head office for Canada an email with a link to my article about them in the forum here. I told them we had over 20,000 active members, and millions of visitors, and they were getting plenty of publicity. I kid you not, first thing next morning, I got a call from the shop where I had bought my camera, and who had sent it in for repairs, my camera was ready to be picked up, SIR! I went in and the bill was $75.00 less than they had quoted. I quit Nikon anyway, Olympus guarantees a turnaround time of one week in Canada.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 7 Aug 2014 - 5:26 AM
catgirl73
catgirl73  6142 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Aug 2014 - 5:19 PM

Quote: Yes, I know we can go to the Inspiration tab and do a search but perhaps a better way of promoting the feature and an easier / more intuitive way of searching is possible ?

Would it be feasible to have a 'Learning Zone' ... ?? I know this is already available in a way, under the Inspiration tab (amongst others) but like Jeff above, I do sometimes find it non-intuitive to ferret out the information I want.

Yes, the 'Search ...' box is my friend, but sometimes the results it returns are either completely out of date (although still useful reading) or just kind of random.

I think TanyaH suggestion of a Learning Zone was a great idea. 1 tab, 1 hit for tutorials and tips. What I find is because I only seem to find time to come to the site maybe once or twice a week I do miss a hell of a lot of great stuff. It's just finding it all. A learning zone would solve this and make me sign-up again - absolutely.

Chris_L
19 Aug 2014 - 6:40 PM

I might be selling some equipment soon. It occurs to me that the epz classifieds are good because the people here are exactly the kind of people most likely to buy my stuff. What puts me off is that I don't think there's the audience that I would get from ebay, Gumtree, even Facebook.

I never look in there, I know I should and I know I probably miss some bargains.

I think it would benefit all if the ads were more visible. Perhaps a random ad once in a while as you browse the site.

Look how popular some of the sales and want groups are on Facebook. Perhaps you could allow e2 members to post ads in the forums. I think if I was selling a lens and I posted it in the lens forum it's more likely I'd get a sale there than from the Classifieds.

I don't know if others think classifieds could do with a shake-up?

Last Modified By Chris_L at 19 Aug 2014 - 6:40 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.