Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

"Earth-Like" Planet Discovered

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2011 - 10:38 PM

This may be of interest.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Dec 2011 - 10:38 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2011 - 10:51 PM

LOL....Grin Yes it is interesting, 600 light years away means that for the time being its safe from invasion by Earthlings....Smile

Though I suspect the developers and bankers are already looking to make a few quid, Tescos will have drawn up a scheme to buy all the land, That should keep the competition at bay until they have some lightspeed HGVs to shift the goodies to the awaitng and unsuspecting Aliens, Tony will be back on the scene with his name down for the Planet Presidents office....etc etc

Shares in any companies making rockets or spaceships will go through the roof, Buy now while stocks last......Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 5 Dec 2011 - 10:51 PM
answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012601 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2011 - 11:00 PM

or if it were inhabited might just be bent double laughing at the mess that is earth Grin

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2011 - 11:05 PM

Reminds me that you can buy legal plots of land on the Moon - I wonder if/when space stations and colonies come to fruition if anyone who owns these documents will be able to recoup their investment in them Tongue

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012601 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2011 - 11:12 PM

Does someone know something we dont... Grin

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2050328/Spaceport-America-Richard...

mikehit
mikehit  56324 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2011 - 12:32 AM

Quote: Reminds me that you can buy legal plots of land on the Moon - I wonder if/when space stations and colonies come to fruition if anyone who owns these documents will be able to recoup their investment in them Tongue

I don't know what you mean by 'legal' but as far as I am aware they are worthless. How can someone sell something they don't own and when there is no international consensus on land rights?

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2011 - 12:48 AM

I thought NASA or something claimed rights (I mean America did plant that pretty flag right? Tongue) and sold of the plots as a bit of side investment in the venture or something.

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3793 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Dec 2011 - 8:14 AM

The Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies explicitly forbids any government from claiming a celestial resource such as the Moon or a planet. As of October 2011, 100 countries, including the US and Russia, are states parties to the treaty, while another 26 have signed the treaty but have not completed ratification.

See: http://www.unoosa.org/oosa/SpaceLaw/outerspt.html

Last Modified By oldblokeh at 6 Dec 2011 - 8:16 AM
mikehit
6 Dec 2011 - 8:37 AM

If you want a giggle, I found this on Wikipedia:

Adam Ismail, Mustafa Khalil and Abdullah al-Umari, three men from Yemen, sued NASA for invading Mars. They claim that they "inherited the planet from our ancestors 3,000 years ago". They based their argument on mythologies of the Himyaritic and Sabaean civilizations that existed several thousand years B.C.E

Gregory W. Nemitz claimed ownership of Asteroid 433 Eros, on which NEAR Shoemaker landed in 2001. His company Orbital Development issued NASA a parking ticket for $20.

Last Modified By mikehit at 6 Dec 2011 - 8:38 AM
thewilliam
6 Dec 2011 - 10:09 AM

Quote: How can someone sell something they don't own?

Stock market trading is all about buying what you don't need and selling what you don't own!

mikehit
6 Dec 2011 - 12:03 PM

I can see what you mean, but its not really the same. Tongue

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2011 - 1:00 PM

I'd like to be the first to photograph some Kepler 22-b landscapes & wildlife. Now where did i put my x2 convertor....

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2011 - 1:21 PM

If it's 600 light-years away, all we know is it existed in the 15th century (Earth time). It may no longer be there! Grin

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
6 Dec 2011 - 1:25 PM

Quote: If it's 600 light-years away, all we know is it existed in the 15th century (Earth time). It may no longer be there! Grin

That's what they are saying about us, though they are enjoying watching that Shakespeare series on their TV's

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3793 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Dec 2011 - 1:40 PM

Quote: I'd like to be the first to photograph some Kepler 22-b landscapes & wildlife. Now where did i put my x2 convertor....

Tell you what... We'll send you off in a rocket at 99.9% of the speed of light, back at the same speed. Thanks to Special Relativity it will only seem to you like it takes about 54 years. Of course, it will actually be 1200 years later when you return, but look on the bright side -- your "1202 years on the site" will great in your EPZ profile. Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.