Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

"Earth-Like" Planet Discovered

spaceman 10 5.2k 3 Wales
5 Dec 2011 10:38PM
This may be of interest.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
5 Dec 2011 10:51PM
LOL....Grin Yes it is interesting, 600 light years away means that for the time being its safe from invasion by Earthlings....Smile

Though I suspect the developers and bankers are already looking to make a few quid, Tescos will have drawn up a scheme to buy all the land, That should keep the competition at bay until they have some lightspeed HGVs to shift the goodies to the awaitng and unsuspecting Aliens, Tony will be back on the scene with his name down for the Planet Presidents office....etc etc

Shares in any companies making rockets or spaceships will go through the roof, Buy now while stocks last......Wink
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2011 11:00PM
or if it were inhabited might just be bent double laughing at the mess that is earth Grin
Overread 6 3.8k 18 England
5 Dec 2011 11:05PM
Reminds me that you can buy legal plots of land on the Moon - I wonder if/when space stations and colonies come to fruition if anyone who owns these documents will be able to recoup their investment in them Tongue
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.6k 15 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2011 11:12PM
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2011 12:32AM

Quote:Reminds me that you can buy legal plots of land on the Moon - I wonder if/when space stations and colonies come to fruition if anyone who owns these documents will be able to recoup their investment in them Tongue

I don't know what you mean by 'legal' but as far as I am aware they are worthless. How can someone sell something they don't own and when there is no international consensus on land rights?
Overread 6 3.8k 18 England
6 Dec 2011 12:48AM
I thought NASA or something claimed rights (I mean America did plant that pretty flag right? Tongue) and sold of the plots as a bit of side investment in the venture or something.
oldblokeh 3 845 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2011 8:14AM
The Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space, including the Moon and Other Celestial Bodies explicitly forbids any government from claiming a celestial resource such as the Moon or a planet. As of October 2011, 100 countries, including the US and Russia, are states parties to the treaty, while another 26 have signed the treaty but have not completed ratification.

See: http://www.unoosa.org/oosa/SpaceLaw/outerspt.html
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2011 8:37AM
If you want a giggle, I found this on Wikipedia:

Adam Ismail, Mustafa Khalil and Abdullah al-Umari, three men from Yemen, sued NASA for invading Mars. They claim that they "inherited the planet from our ancestors 3,000 years ago". They based their argument on mythologies of the Himyaritic and Sabaean civilizations that existed several thousand years B.C.E

Gregory W. Nemitz claimed ownership of Asteroid 433 Eros, on which NEAR Shoemaker landed in 2001. His company Orbital Development issued NASA a parking ticket for $20.
thewilliam 6 4.7k
6 Dec 2011 10:09AM

Quote:How can someone sell something they don't own?

Stock market trading is all about buying what you don't need and selling what you don't own!
mikehit e2
5 6.8k 11 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2011 12:03PM
I can see what you mean, but its not really the same. Tongue
JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2011 1:00PM
I'd like to be the first to photograph some Kepler 22-b landscapes & wildlife. Now where did i put my x2 convertor....
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
6 Dec 2011 1:21PM
If it's 600 light-years away, all we know is it existed in the 15th century (Earth time). It may no longer be there! Grin
JackAllTog e2
5 3.7k 58 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2011 1:25PM

Quote:If it's 600 light-years away, all we know is it existed in the 15th century (Earth time). It may no longer be there! Grin

That's what they are saying about us, though they are enjoying watching that Shakespeare series on their TV's
oldblokeh 3 845 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2011 1:40PM

Quote:I'd like to be the first to photograph some Kepler 22-b landscapes & wildlife. Now where did i put my x2 convertor....

Tell you what... We'll send you off in a rocket at 99.9% of the speed of light, back at the same speed. Thanks to Special Relativity it will only seem to you like it takes about 54 years. Of course, it will actually be 1200 years later when you return, but look on the bright side -- your "1202 years on the site" will great in your EPZ profile. Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.