Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Ease my Pain...The Clicks...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jjmills
jjmills  9153 forum posts Scotland
8 May 2007 - 11:45 PM

Quote: I'm not trying to be helpful. Just don't understand your point. Your pain would be eased by knowing some people get a lower click/view ratio ?
Seemed to me you were implying "here are my 2 worst shots - please ease my pain by clicking on them"

My mistake.

Sorry missed that...

No it is not about one or two shots that score low I am sure everyone gets that but it is about the longer view...What do you get across 32 images (The Stat Page display) as a guide as to where you are good, bad or somewhere in the middle.

My pain comes from not knowing what people really think, good enough to view but not good enough to click.

Ease my Pain...

John

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 May 2007 - 11:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RogBrown
RogBrown  73006 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2007 - 12:30 AM

John
I've also been wondering what the average click rate is. I've just worked out that, out of 26 uploads, I've had 1244 views & 354 clicks - that's 28.45%. What interests me is, do 71.55% of people who view my photographs think they're crap, or are there a lot of people who just view everyone's stuff & don't bother clicking at all. I'd really like to know. Then, again, there are an awful lot of "click groups" on here, where people click on each other's shots whether they're any good or not.
Rog

User_Removed
9 May 2007 - 12:44 AM

Sorry! .... Just can't get passed 100 views without falling asleep.Wink Works better than Sheep [;-D

Last Modified By Dave at 9 May 2007 - 12:44 AM
looboss
looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2007 - 12:49 AM

I'm just wondering if these views are a result of search engines and indexing robots crawling??

MediumSizeUnavailable

I think it's a brilliant idea !!!!

okay, not really, but I wanted to be constructive Smile

jjmills
jjmills  9153 forum posts Scotland
9 May 2007 - 8:26 AM

Quote: I've also been wondering what the average click rate is. I've just worked out that, out of 26 uploads, I've had 1244 views & 354 clicks - that's 28.45%. What interests me is, do 71.55% of people who view my photographs think they're crap

So I am not alone...

Ease my Pain...

elowes
elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
9 May 2007 - 8:55 AM

d
Quote: o 71.55% of people who view my photographs think they're crap

Possibly but equally possibly not.

Perhaps they just find them uninteresting.

Very subjective.

It seems that, often, those who have a thing about clicks are those who get a lot rather than those who get little or none. Perhaps your click buddies are taking a break?

I have no idea how many have viewed my images but my click rate is averaging not very many. Still, I have been published in local rags, magazines and used on web sites so I'll not worry to much.

I'll rush off now to wash my mouth out with soap and water having mentioned the dreaded no no of click buddies; no hold it, I'll wait until the sun is over the jolly old yard arm and wash it out with a glass of wine.

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108378 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2007 - 8:57 AM

OK then.
The moderators regularly trawl through the gallery to make sure that there are no problems like pictures wrongly catagoriezed, no unsuitable material, no dodgy links or comments etc
If those visits are counted then you views will go up and the votes will not, so skewing the ratio.
I do not read anything in to the statistics at all.
If people like my photos then that's fine.
If they don't then that's fine too.
I am not going to loose as sleep over it.

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
9 May 2007 - 9:37 AM

You don't sleep anyway, Doug. Wink

User_Removed
9 May 2007 - 10:20 AM

oh the torment of the creator! is my work good or bad i need reassurance to keep me from going mad & chucking my gear into the dock or at least up for grabs on e bay. this is nothing new van gogh was so troubled he turned to absinthe for solace cut of his ear & eventually took his life.

these sites proliferate the myth something is only good or bad because somebody else says so. rubbish. you took the image it was you who saw it it was you who thought it good enough to post is it bad? no. it may not appeal to the majority taste it may have some technical failings but it ain't bad & no number of stats will say otherwise.

you can of course follow the herd. what i mean is you can find out what images get most votes & then start posting similar images then compare. what then signifies good or bad could be down to technical performance rather than artistic merit.

surely art/photography is beyond good & bad? nietsche said that which is done out of love always takes place beyond good & evil. if you love what your doing then why worry if its bad or good. if you think its good then fine. think about it. if you really believe that votes = good no votes = equal bad then with such a low ratio votes to views i think you would no longer be posting &/or be selling your gear.

the world sells itself as a meritocricy but it ain't! merit counts for a row of beans. once again these sites engender the negative feedback because of the voting system. this adds halos to some & horns to others. sure competition is acceptable however in an artistic environment it endgenders panic not purpose (for some). creative people love to be stroked. votes stroke them. you don't get votes say to some i'm no good!

figure out want you want this site to be for you then find your purpose & then you can find peace. think of a view as a yes; someone saw your thumbnail & liked it enough to see it larger. votes are bonuses. but remember publishing opens the door of an abyss. people love to judge & are better complaining & criticising that they are at rewarding or praising even though they crave the latter themselves.

remember that its not about good or not about bad its about taste. you like or you don't like. and to those of you so concerned about technical perfection/frailties then sure within the conventions of photography sharpness dof focus movement all these things will matter but are not essential in arriving at the final statement of i like or i don't like. after all pin hole holga mobile phone images grain no grain all have a place on this wall.

my purpose is to take photographs. to experiment with light colour & form. to capture a moment & discover the undiscovered. i am not a landscape photographer i am not a wildlife photographer i am a documentor of my visions what ever they are where ever they be. i love what i do & know that i can improve technically but the search is the beauty the seeing is the winning & the taking is the pleasure.

don't give us another useless statistic. please!

malum
malum e2 Member 10622 forum postsmalum vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2007 - 10:31 AM

I'm sure my average view to click ratio is terrible.
I'm also sure that it is not a reflection on the quality of my shots but rather a reflection of the lack of sophistication of my audience. :lol

DaveU
DaveU e2 Member 81339 forum postsDaveU vcard England121 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2007 - 10:34 AM

Yup, and my shots are brilliant too but you'll only come to realise that 100 years after I'm dead.

randomrubble
9 May 2007 - 10:47 AM

One of my favourite images...

Outside epz - judges choice for best slide in exhibition at my camera club annual exhibition, print sold, printed in a magazine...

Inside epz - 19 Views, 2 clicks 10.5%

Cephus
Cephus  92129 forum posts England
9 May 2007 - 11:14 AM

I really must get out more!

User_Removed
9 May 2007 - 2:25 PM

david is that because you use a torch? or are you on the right side of the moon?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.