Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

eBay

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    joekinerman
    3 Jun 2013 - 3:30 PM

Hi I just wanted some opinions as I'm fairly new to all this
    I'm after a canon 6d rrp about £1600 I've found this one on eBay for almost 500 less, is it worth the risk? http://bit.ly/157lSuE
    I'd really love some advice.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Jun 2013 - 3:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
    mikehit  46189 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jun 2013 - 3:40 PM

The old saying "if it sounds too good to be true..." springs to mind. It might be genuine, but I am not convinced I would throw a thousand of my hard-earned pounds in his direction.

KevSB
    KevSB  101405 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jun 2013 - 3:44 PM

To assess the risk you need to ask them the following questions before making a decision

Is vat included in the price and do they provide a vat invoice
    Is there a full manafacturers garrentee

If not then if you have a faulty camera then cost in sending it back for repair to scource country.
    Run the risk of being charged weeks later by HM customs for vat.
    Run the risk when travelling abroad that serial numbers are checked and you will be liable for import tax at a later date.

If your comfortable with that then its possibly a good buy, only you know if you can afford to take that risk. There's as many tales of woe as there are successful purchases .

Your risk...your dicision

samueldilworth

KevSB:

Quote: To assess the risk you need to ask them the following questions before making a decision

Is there a full manafacturers garrentee

We know this isn’t EU stock backed by Canon because the listing says:

“A three year warranty is included from the date your camera is received. This warranty is a direct warranty from the seller.”

Which means it’s safest to assume there’s no warranty at all.

There are no bargains on the web for cameras from Canon, Nikon, etc. The profit margin for dealers with EU stock are wafer-thin. Anyone selling a camera for hundreds of pounds less than the big online retailers would straightforwardly lose hundreds of pounds per sale. All new cameras being sold at hundreds of pounds off are imports from China.

franken
    franken e2 Member 113058 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jun 2013 - 4:35 PM

I see that the seller has a 99.9% positive feedback so one would assume that there's not a lot of grief with what 's sold.

I notice that there's a 14 day refund if you are not satisfied.

Ultimately, the decision is yours.

Ken.

joekinerman
    3 Jun 2013 - 4:43 PM

So i understand that this may be an import due to the price but what is the issue with imports? Are they poor quality? The seller has great feedback. Stuck in two minds at what to do. There seems to be very mixed views.

Hugo
    Hugo  9637 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Jun 2013 - 4:44 PM

I too am looking at buying a 6D
    There are two types of discount sellers on eBay.
    1)Those than will ship you the camera from HK
    2)Those that already have the camera in the UK, but it came from HK etc.

Option 1 will save you £150 or so, but you could get customs charges, VAT on top. Or maybe you could be lucky, I've only once had to pay customs in 10 years of eBay.

Be aware that not all the 6d cameras on eBay are the same - some are models made for places like China etc where GPS isn't allowed (?) and some don't have wi-fi.
    I've bought lenses from these people before, no hassle, but their 6d is without GPS http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS-6D-DSLR-Body-Only-Full-Frame-Digital-Camera-...

Personally the warranty does not bother me that much, I've had quite a few cameras and lenses, risk of it "going wrong" in year 1 is very low, not a worry for me.

Google "kerso" who is someone in Scotland selling American imports, but not so competitive.
    I plan to either buy the 6D you've linked or from here http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/new-canon-6d-body-only-1167-p.asp

Do some Google searching, asses the risk (EG Simply Electronics = Too many upset people) and pay by credit card offers protection if it never shows up.
    Just be careful as to make sure it's a model GPS/Wifi!

If you were later looking to add a lens, I would buy it now with the 24-105 as good deals on the boxed kit.

Hugo
    Hugo  9637 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Jun 2013 - 4:46 PM

It won't let me edit my post, but the seller you linked too ships from the UK ( I believe) so no import duty - which is why I had them on my list.

joekinerman
    3 Jun 2013 - 5:46 PM

yeah ive also seen that one on hdewcameras but i thought id be safer with ebay as there seems to be a bit more protection with ebay/payal etc. what do u think your go for hugo?

indemnity
    indemnity  5328 forum posts
    3 Jun 2013 - 6:00 PM

If you go down the page, full details of the vendor's name and address in Devon UK are given. Might be an idea to drop him a message via ebay and clarify the warranty issue, and establish whether or not it's a parallel import.
    You have the security of ebay and paypal buyer protection.

joekinerman
    3 Jun 2013 - 6:15 PM

yeah all seems fairly legit. think i might go for it. i know its a risk but for a £500 saving its worth it i hope.

capto
    capto e2 Member 21000 forum postscapto vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jun 2013 - 6:40 PM

Checkout Procamerashop I've bought from them, excellent service and good communications. Their price for 6D body is £1,078.99.

simmybear
    simmybear  832 forum posts
    3 Jun 2013 - 6:56 PM

From the description it appears to be a fully specced 6d, Ive bought items that are clearly "grey" from ebay with usually the only downside being a two pin plug with a (very cheap) adaptor. The 99.9% rating on ebay is encouraging and if you read back thorugh feedback it will give you a good idea of where issues are raised. paying by credit card does give protection although that is not as clear as it used to be due to "rule" changes by credit card companies and loosening of Consumer Credit Act 1974 by subsequent legislation (another case of banks bleating to the Government "its costing us too much") - Dont forget in the first year - which is generaly the only guarantee period you get in the UK you may still be able to call on the credit card issuer if things go wrong - so you are not too badly off.

If as noted early the description is erroneous when you receive the goods again you could claim on e-bay protection as well. So risk levels may be less than they seem, but it is a large ticket item. Keep a screen print of the e-bay page as a reference.

On the issue of shipping in to the UK I have seen a number of situations arise the worst place seems to be from the US where customs always seem to place the full whack on the import but equally a friend shipped a battery grip in from HK and paid nothing even though the full value was declared - it seems hit and miss - if this item is shipped from a UK address I believe that should should have a defence in law against paying any duty because this is the liability of the original importer who brought it cross border, if it comes to you from HK but ordered "on your behalf" by a grey importer the situation is less clear althou many say they will repay any duty you end up paying. Again with 99.9% approval they probably do as they promise.

One last thing some importers do a lot of small stuff and the odd high ticket items so 99.9% might be based on importing say Li Ion batteries at £10 each not thousands of 6D's again check the feedback as to what their reputation is based on - Good Luck

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.