Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Ebay Prices

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
30 Jun 2012 12:26PM
What are your views on Ebay.

I take a gander every once in a while at market prices but sometimes these prices appear crazy.

One lens in particular has really got me rattled, a vivitar 19mm.

p1000829-.jpg

This is a lens I picked up in a charity shop for just a few pounds, LCE had one a few weeks ago for about 30 quid, yet on ebay these are showing up and I`m seeing prices averaging 80, one has a price that is just crazy at nearly 400.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=vivitar+19mm

What are your thoughts.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade e2
10 15.1k 216 England
30 Jun 2012 12:31PM
it's cool for cheaper light mods and stobist kit - you can get packs of 4 gels for tenner, things like that are amazing. you can get a cheapo shoot through brolly for 3 delivered... how they do that is beyond me...

but you're right about lenses...

maybe people inflate the prices to cover the ebay fees?

as for the auctions... well there's not a lot you can do about that really... if people are bidding high, so be it.
NaturesHaven e2
3 260 5 England
30 Jun 2012 12:39PM
IMHO E-Bat is not the be all and end all of prices.........I cannot see why people are using this site as a price comparison........there are better outlets for equipment......you may pay more or pay less in these outlets but you warranties and guarantees.

On E-Bay there are so many scams now you have to have PhD to get round them...do more of your own research on the web.........sadly people are always looking for cheap....you get what you pay for.....WinkWink Quality seems to be word from history.......SadSadSad

This is only my opinion others will disagree or agree........but thanks for looking and reading.TongueTongueTongue
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
30 Jun 2012 12:40PM
I`ve been tempted by an old Canon 85mm(not Ebay) but the prices are just madness.

Quote:sadly people are always looking for cheap....you get what you pay for

LOl I guess that`s why I`m always finding good bargains then, lol with people thinking a 5 lens must be crap and the one on ebay for 400 must be better Smile
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
30 Jun 2012 12:52PM

Quote:but you're right about lenses...

Not just lenses Ade, a rangefinder I picked up for 3.99 go for as much as 400 quid, sometimes more on ebay Sad
puertouk 3 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
30 Jun 2012 12:52PM
Be very careful purchasing electronic goods from ebay, as a lot of it comes from Hong Kong, so you'll finish up paying even more when it comes through customs. Also, you will not get a warranty with these goods. To me, it's constrictive practises by the manufacturers who will not give you a warranty and against EU law, but they get away with it.

The same goes for prices in the UK, as all the camera and lens prices are the same with all the retailers. I wonder why? You can go to purchase other goods in the UK and they will give you a discount, yet I have tried with camera retailers and have been told you pay that price and no discount is available. The only explanation is, the manufacturers have told the retailers they must not give discounts, otherwise they will not supply them. Yet, it's against EU regulations, so how do they get away with it? Maybe it's time people put this to their MP's to bring it up in Parliament.
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
30 Jun 2012 1:00PM
Ebay is pretty good.

Local charity shops rarely have camera gear and what they do have is usually junk and for what it is, not cheap.
Car boot sales are better, prices often similar to ebay, except you don't have to pay postage.
But you do have to get yourself to the boot sale, and probably tramp around several before you find anything.
There can be bargains, but also people trying to sell unusable items for the same price as a good one on ebay, and people charging collector prices.

On the whole, car boot sales can be diverting on a sunny day, but ebay has a lot more choice and it usually isn't a sunny day.

As to scams on ebay, I must be PhD material.
30 Jun 2012 1:04PM

Quote:maybe people inflate the prices to cover the ebay fees?
I don't see how you can. As anywhere else, you can inflate the price to whatever people are willing to pay, and if you have any sense you will. But if you inflate the price further to what you'd like, well, checking the red entries in completed auctions shows you what happens.
30 Jun 2012 1:09PM

Quote:a lot of it comes from Hong Kong
I select EU only. A few get through, but you just have to check where they're coming from. And check the postage.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
30 Jun 2012 1:09PM
You say charity shops are expensive, so why do people pay huge Ebay prices many times greater.
rossd 11 1.1k England
30 Jun 2012 1:27PM

Quote:Ebay is pretty good.

Agreed. I've had approx 140 transactions (of which approx 70% were for photo gear) over the last 7 yrs or so without any problems. Amongst the gear I've bought/ sold were lenses, flashes, cables, tripods and a photo rucksack. My 'best' buy was a Canon 100-400 zoom which I bought for 820 and sold last year for 945. I also bought a s/h Canon 50mm 1.4 lens from a shop in Monerey, US which worked out after postage etc at 140.

As for scams, well it's a case of using common sense; if something looks to good to be true then it generally is. Also, I use Paypal which gives you protection. Although Paypal is regarded as pricey you are afterall paying for a service as well as the convenience.

eBay all the way for me Smile
30 Jun 2012 1:35PM

Quote:You say charity shops are expensive, so why do people pay huge Ebay prices many times greater.

Generally speaking people don't pay huge prices on ebay. For the sort of thing I could find at a charity shop or car boot sale, there are plenty on ebay that don't sell at all.

You're lucky with you're charity shop purchase and it's nice to hear about it, but you're talking about unusual and extreme situations.

The equivalent happens on ebay as well of course, that goods offered with a poor description or photo will not get the attention, and will go for a fraction of the price of similar items. Like the car boot sale though, I don't find them every time I look.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
30 Jun 2012 1:41PM
On Amazon Marketplace you can find second-hand books going for wildly different prices..... and for no apparent reason sometimes, i.e. not even condition. One seller may have a book for sale at 10, another exactly the same book for 50.
rossd 11 1.1k England
30 Jun 2012 1:51PM
In the end, an item is only worth what a buyer is prepared to pay. However, with the large range of lens/camera body adaptors available, (as far as I know) you can fit lenses like the Vivitar 19mm to a range of cameras so obviously this will drive up the demand for similar items.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
30 Jun 2012 2:02PM
eBay is fabulous. Some people are stupid. Occasionally the two will clash.

I have had over 2500 transactions on eBay, both buying and selling, ranging from a 13,000 caravan down to a 0.99p flashgun. I have had only one transaction that went sour.

A perfect example is my Nikon D3s. I bought it, secondhand with 1400 shutter actuations, two years ago on eBay for 2850. When I decided to buy a Nikon D800 in February, I auctioned the D3s on eBay and got 2890 for it. That wasn't quite a profit as I had Paypal and eBay fees to pay but it did mean that I got almost 2 years of D3s use for the cost of the commissions and was able to buy a D800 and still have nearly 500 left over to spend on beer.

At the other end of the spectrum, I buy a lot of cheaper items like remote releases, filters, flash accessories, etc. on eBay direct from China and the prices and service are fantastic.

By the way, the one transaction that went sour was buying a pair of new Wrangler jeans from an English seller that turned out to be counterfeit and it took more time than the money was worth to get Paypal to reverse the transaction. But that was 3 or 4 years ago and involved only 8.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.