Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

EC's and Hc's now available sale ...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ketch
ketch e2 Member 6770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2009 - 10:47 PM

'
'
'
'
'
'
Well maybe not but here is a late night thought:

In the past it has been suggested that EC's are given for the best image in an uploaders PF. This was done I think when the panel was sitting and because of a huge reaction to the large number of EC's and HC's going to the same image maker uploading almost exactly the same image. Also I seem to remeber a criticism that once on the 'gravy train' then the accolades became almost overwhelming whilst ordinary mortals simply looked on.

This however is clearly not true, but how brilliant if after say a minimum of ten uploads 'the owner' paid our PF's a visit and gave us a small token of his recognition by way of a sort of 'best in personal PF class'.

This would measure our own shots aginst themselves rather than all the other uploads - now I think that could be extremely useful and encouraging - to know what image in your PF rates top honours (and hopefully why).

I think that our work at a PF level gets truly overlooked at the expense of the individual image (understandable maybe?) but lets get some credit back to stuff like development and experiential learning and general approach to image making rather than our ability to take one shot - maybe?

Last Modified By ketch at 11 Nov 2009 - 10:47 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Nov 2009 - 10:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82279 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2009 - 10:50 PM

Wow - now that would be a lot of work.

Overread
Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2009 - 10:55 PM

I like the idea and we did run something sort of similar through the forums a few months ago - and overall it worked rather well. It was just commenting on peoples profiles in general rather than ranking specific shots.

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2009 - 11:09 PM

I think that a few people on here needed more gold stars than the rest of their class to stop them sobbing into the Lego box.

Overread
11 Nov 2009 - 11:12 PM

I liked lego!
I probably still would if I had some of the technic stuff with gears and stuff (for some reason me and mechano never got on - the ruddy screws and nuts would never stay together especailly if I tried to make anything that moved!)

Sadly this modern lego is so simplistic - all big single parts make everything up not like in the good old days!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
11 Nov 2009 - 11:20 PM

Quote: This however is clearly not true, but how brilliant if after say a minimum of ten uploads 'the owner' paid our PF's a visit and gave us a small token of his recognition by way of a sort of 'best in personal PF class'.

I do like the idea of this and portfolio recognition...I go back in some portfolios that haven't had many, if any, HCs or ECs and as a collective some are truly amazing.

Trouble is some, as you've seen, take my view with a pinch of salt, so it's only amplifying that issue and would create more upset/headaches. And even if I was foolish enough to ignore the consequences (again) and go for it...we get about 80 new registrations each day...not all create a portfolio, but it's serious numbers.

What may be a better idea is all those who criticise my choice seem to know better, maybe they could help? They could make themselves known and then those who want a best shot picked from their newly growing portfolio could pm one of this new team that they respect and get them to select the best.

Everyone wins...until someone disagrees with that...so maybe we'll leave those ideas for now, but thanks Smile

And I love the old uncomplicated Lego...which maybe I should have considered when adding small complex extras onto ePHOTOzine.

Last Modified By Pete at 11 Nov 2009 - 11:21 PM
cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2009 - 10:17 AM

Lego was Ok, But Meccano was my thing, Except you just never seemed to have enough spare Nuts....Wink

So I'll make a bolt for the door.......///////////

ketch
ketch e2 Member 6770 forum postsketch vcard Turks and Caicos Islands50 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2009 - 4:32 PM

I absolutely adored lego and I think has really coloured my life (you should see where I live and the car I drive and I did have to have four strange lumps removed from the top of my head recently - they had some sort of squiggly writing on too!).

If just ten uploads creates too much work then maybe the PF rosette could be awarded after say fifty uploads. Could be a sort of rosette award for best in personal class. It could be Pete's choice or it could be a panel or a combination - whichever it should be accompanied by some sort of critical review of the entire PF perhaps (assuming it is accessible) .

This would be simple and enormously encouraging to everybody, but especially those without the covetted feedback of an HC and ER to keep them going on dark winter nights when they start to pine for the fijords.

I don't think I have ever criticised Pete's selections but I have offered to help with initial critique - never heard any more so I can't really take his criticism on this too seriously (dodgy critique technique and lack of technical prowess no doubt resulting in my neglect).

I think the tools you use to engage with the client group are quite brilliant and the way they are used is equally clever. But it is still possible to be very average and fall completely through the system, and not get the encouragement and feedback you see contemporaries enjoy - then lose heart and interest. Something like this idea might do much to reduce attrition rates. Just an idle thought...

mohikan22
mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2009 - 4:39 PM

Quote: Lego was Ok, But Meccano was my thing, Except you just never seemed to have enough spare Nuts....

So I'll make a bolt for the door.......///////////

i got ya coat ready....

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2009 - 4:44 PM

Quote: but I have offered to help with initial critique

Sorry Robert that offer must have got lost in a busy spot I usually reply one way or the other. If you want to help with critique there's the critique team you could join. Or have I missed the plot on this?

ketch
12 Nov 2009 - 7:46 PM

I think it was Ade M who suggested it (My Sea and Waterscape as a seperate category push was in full flow - please excuse the pun). Anyway I was more than happy to put my name forward so PM'd the team (may have been you) nothing came back, but you guys must have enormous amounts of 'incoming' and anyway I guessed that my particular brand of critique may not have been entirely in keeping with a purist approach so absolutely no offence taken - maybe just a bit discouraged).

Anyway back to the idea - or perhaps another similar one - how about a PF critique gallery - you have to put your current PF forward and then this get a pro/in depth critique. No rosettes this time but just a useful overall appriasal of uploads??

Pete
12 Nov 2009 - 7:58 PM

I'll check re email they usually activate anyone who wants to be in the selection team.

Quote: how about a PF critique gallery - you have to put your current PF forward and then this get a pro/in depth critique.

The idea could be done easily and you could initiate it if you want. Start a thread, ask people to submit a link to their worthy portfolios and then have a group who between them give a critique. Portfolios usually have an option to leave critique under them or, if not, you could have it in the special thread you create. As I've said before we have the tools and rooms in place just needs the members to pick them up.

Overread
12 Nov 2009 - 8:04 PM

I belive comments under profiles is an E2 feature only

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
12 Nov 2009 - 8:07 PM

Is it a bit like this one?

Pete
12 Nov 2009 - 8:09 PM

Quote: Is it a bit like this one?

Yes that's it like that...i'd forgotten about that... next!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.