Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Ecuadorian Embassy: should the government forcibly enter?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

thewilliam
16 Aug 2012 - 11:03 AM

Should our government respect the sanctity of the Ecuadorian Embassy?

Yes, there is a UK law that allows them to disregard diplomatic status, but should this be invoked to arrest and extradite Julian Assange?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
16 Aug 2012 - 11:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014007 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2012 - 11:05 AM

Quote: Should our government respect the sanctity of the Ecuadorian Embassy?

Yes, or we have no right to expect the same for any of our embassies anywhere in the world.

robthecamman
16 Aug 2012 - 11:09 AM

who cares

mikehit
mikehit  46105 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2012 - 11:15 AM

Quote: Yes, or we have no right to expect the same for any of our embassies anywhere in the world.

+1

There are several unsavoury regimes who would simply see 'UK no longer respects diplomatic status' and not look at the details of the case. And from then our embassies would be at risk if they disliked the views or actions of anyone in the building.

robthecamman
16 Aug 2012 - 11:33 AM

it is on behest or for the yanks is it

gwynn56
gwynn56  259 forum posts England
16 Aug 2012 - 11:47 AM

seems that in the background someone pulling the strings , they go to this length to extradite this 1 person , but look at all the ones they having trouble to deport

mikehit
mikehit  46105 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2012 - 11:53 AM

Quote: who cares

Quote: It is on behest or for the yanks is it

And you don't care about that?

robthecamman
16 Aug 2012 - 12:19 PM

haaa

JohnParminter
16 Aug 2012 - 12:21 PM

Quote: Should our government respect the sanctity of the Ecuadorian Embassy?

Honestly its of no importance.

There's a test match going on......

Smile

robthecamman
16 Aug 2012 - 12:23 PM

honsety in polatics haaa

Jestertheclown
16 Aug 2012 - 12:44 PM

Might that be 'Honesty in politics?'

robthecamman
16 Aug 2012 - 12:51 PM

haaa need spell checker on here

thewilliam
16 Aug 2012 - 1:10 PM

I was interrupted by a customer's arrival!

My feeling is that diplomatic status should always be respected unless there's a compelling reason to do otherwise. If UK police do enter the embassy, none of our own diplomats will be safe anywhere.

I suspect that Uncle Sam has told Hague to extradite Assange because Uncle Sam wants to get even for the Wikileaks problem.

Laws tend to be used for purposes that Parliament never expected. Like the terrorism legislation used to arrest people like Mr Wolfgang who heckle at a Labour Party Conference.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53513 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
16 Aug 2012 - 2:02 PM

If we do 'storm' an embassy, then I think we would never have the moral high ground to insist our embassy's are set-a-part places and safe for overseas ambassadors etc.

Should we then also storm the US embassy for failure to pay millions of pounds in congestion charges - its not just the US either.
Have we been pressurised by the US into taking all the pain for their discomfort, it seems with this and with banking recently we end up looking stupid and asking the US how high should we jump?
The US is great but not when it comes across as bullying the UK or others.

Maybe with video conferencing we don't need embassies for anything other than visa'a anyway.

Last Modified By JackAllTog at 16 Aug 2012 - 2:02 PM
muzzeyman
muzzeyman  10293 forum posts United Kingdom
16 Aug 2012 - 2:46 PM

Assange is costing us (the tax payer) nothing and the UK Govt are hell bent on having him deported. Abu Qatada on the other hand is taking the f***king pi55 out of us and yet the tw@t is still here, and the Govt are cowtowing to Brussels and that 'human rights law'

Makes me sick.

Assange published secrets on the web - so what! who cares. We spied on the East during the Cold War for years and vice versa. Men like Kim Philby defected across the Iron Curtain - his 'knowledge' in the hands of the Soviets didn't cause an Invasion of the west nor topple the British Govt (although it did contribute some way in Athony Eden's demise)

Abu Qatada on the other hand is a deranged sick individual who would be happy tohave all of us, who are contributing towards his board and lodgings in this country, bombed and murdered. A man who has made no secret of his desire to see us infidels massacred! Yet continues to hold out his hand to recieve as many benefits as possible- that's the bit that really f**cks me off the most!

Don't see any black ops from the U.S storming his residence do we?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.