Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Editing for the Gallery

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
9 Aug 2014 6:05AM
Lately I've started to notice a huge difference in the quality of my images after I have uploaded them to the gallery. Tonight I edited an image of a dragonfly to post in my PF; I was very pleased with the detail and overall quality of the image, sharp, good contrast, colour, etc. After I uploaded, Whoa!!!, that's not staying there, and I replaced it with something else that doesn't require the detail the original post did. The colours were way off, the contrast was bad, it was full of noise, and lacked overall fine detail, a totally different image to the one I have in my LR catalogue. I've noticed some of this on other images just recently, but this was ridiculous, I wouldn't post images that end up taking some kind of complete washing out after uploading like this one did. I saw a comment someplace the other day in the Gallery Suggestion thread that said something to the effect, uploading images that have not been edited after they're saved for the gallery like most members. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be changing my workflow? I only know one way to do it; I open the image in LR, select Develop, and crop, set exposure, contrast, highlights, etc. Is there another way? Lately my images undergo some kind of transformation between my PC and the gallery, and I have no idea what causes it. Any ideas?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2014 9:09AM
I hate to ask the obvious, but have you checked the export settings in LR are correct? E.g. that you are outputting to the sRGB colour space? That you are selecting the medium you want sharpening to apply (if any)? Etc…
9 Aug 2014 9:34AM
There was a very similar query
HERE

which may be of help.
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2014 9:40AM
Did it actually upload to your gallery Denny or were you looking at it in the preview window?
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
9 Aug 2014 6:14PM
I was actually looking at it in the preview window. I didn't know there was a difference.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
9 Aug 2014 6:39PM
Thanks for your comments, I checked all of them. I am going to try original, see what happens. I didn't have limit file size checked, and the default was 100. I've checked it, and entered 300. Any suggestions.

You must understand that the settings ZI was using were entered in desperation because 6 months or so ago, I couldn't upload at all, I had to keep reducing quality, and turning everything off till eventually I was able to upload, and the quality has never been the same, but now it's unacceptable.
sherlob e2
9 Aug 2014 10:33PM
Straycat - here are the settings I use to export for web when exporting straight from LR5

lr-export-settings.jpg

Trev_B e2
7 130 66 England
9 Aug 2014 10:50PM
Adam has put his finger on the most likely cause, Lightroom has the colour space set to Prophoto RGB when exporting, this is a wide gamut colour space and some Web Browsers either can't handle it or need to be configured to do so, Firefox was oven such browser.

When I first started to use LR5 all looked fine on my Mac and through Safari, but other members remarked on the colour shift towards yellow, they turned out to be using Firefox and at the time Google Chrome.

I was under the impression that it was the industry standard for print labs, however Boots the chemist can't handle it either, so it's back to sRGB settings under the File Settings section in Export.

Trev
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
9 Aug 2014 10:58PM

Quote:Did it actually upload to your gallery Denny or were you looking at it in the preview window?

Would that make a difference K, I`ve never noticed.

I`ve always thought of the preview as being just that.
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
9 Aug 2014 11:05PM
No, shouldnt do just wanted to be sure of the process involved.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
9 Aug 2014 11:23PM
Trevor, I've always had the settings on sRGB. Looking at the Export Window, I had 72 pixels per cm set, changed it to 300/inch. I didn't have limit file size checked, and it read 100, so now I've changed it to limit file size to 400K. I think Lobsterboy gave me some settings several months ago when I couldn't upload. It worked, but the quality dropped. I'll give this a try later. Thanks folks, appreciate you taking the time.
Chris_L e2
1.5k United Kingdom
10 Aug 2014 1:14AM
I'm sure you've all missed something. K asked the question of whether the image looked bad after upload (in the gallery) or in the preview window to which Denny replied "I was actually looking at it in the preview window. I didn't know there was a difference."

I might be wrong, but when you upload from your browser and you see a preview it's just there so that you know you've chosen the right image, it's not indicitive of final quality afaik.

sRGB, ppi doesn't matter, e2 size and that's all you should have to do.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
10 Aug 2014 2:22AM

Quote:I might be wrong, but when you upload from your browser and you see a preview it's just there so that you know you've chosen the right image, it's not indicitive of final quality afaik.

I haven`t messed up in recent times but I`m pretty sure you would see in the preview if you had saved your image to the wrong color space, it loads in the preview as it would to the main gallery.
Chris_L e2
1.5k United Kingdom
10 Aug 2014 2:56AM
I just did a test, photo of a car and the grille (when in preview) didn't look as sharp as original, I think at that point I'm probably seeing the e1 version resized by the site. Denny you would have to upload your photo and let it get to the gallery for a proper test, be silly to condemn the result from the preview alone.
sherlob e2
10 Aug 2014 8:38AM
The preview on epz uploads is just that a pre-view. However I think it only differs in terms of its size - if an image is optimised for 1000px - presenting it at only 600px will impact on its look.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.