Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

editing software

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lemmy
lemmy  71939 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Nov 2013 - 3:18 PM

Quote: Canon/Nikon/Olympus/Panasonic to name a few, were all entitled to voice our own opinions

I confess I have never understood the emotion over pieces of hardware or software and rarely felt the need to convince other people of my choices. When I have felt that need, I perceive it to be when I am unsure of my choice and want to justify it to myself.

Quote: Tis your money my friend, you're feel free to spend it how you wish, some of us though can't afford to throw money away just

Surely you can't be saying that all those millions who have bought Photoshop have been duped into throwing their money away? I have Photoshop for very good reasons and I'd assume that most others have too. Should I assume that you have been duped into buying inferior software because you like PSP? No, I assume you have wide knowledge of both and have made an informed decision by your own lights. I don't know but I imagine that ePhotozine art editors use Photoshop - have they thrown their company money away on something that may or may not be an industry standard? I'd imagine they do know whether or not it is an industry standard - which it manifestly is - and that their money is not thrown away..

Just as a matter of fact because it seems to be widely misunderstood (Adobe's fault), Photoshop etc are not 'in the cloud'. All software and images remain on the computer. You merely pay a monthly fee by online means. Adobe have muddied the waters here since if paying online makes Photoshop a cloud application, then what you buy on Amazon is cloud too.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Nov 2013 - 3:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

c40uk
c40uk  182 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Nov 2013 - 4:05 PM

well all this is new to me ,but i know were your all coming from
i used to race bikes at a decent level , but club cyclists were all stuck on which make was best , colnago , pinarello, da rosa, ect ect , but at the end of the day you had to pedal the thing and go out and train more than the other guys to get the best results ,

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72328 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2013 - 4:35 PM

Quote: Well all this is new to me ,but i know were your all coming from
i used to race bikes at a decent level , but club cyclists were all stuck on which make was best , colnago , pinarello, da rosa, ect ect , but at the end of the day you had to pedal the thing and go out and train more than the other guys to get the best results ,

Cervelo was/is best! Wink

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2013 - 4:42 PM

Quote: i did use canon , but now i sold up and have gone to panasonic g6 , just got bk from a 3 hour walk and must abmit i didnt miss the dslr round my neck.

But is it a better camera system just because it's lighter around the neck than a Nikon or a Canon?.........Good as the G6 is, it opens up another whole new, errrr old argument Wink

Quote: Surely you can't be saying that all those millions who have bought Photoshop have been duped into throwing their money away? I have Photoshop for very good reasons and I'd assume that most others have too. Should I assume that you have been duped into buying inferior software because you like PSP?

At what point within this discussion have I said that PS or inferior to PSP ......The only real point I made is that PSP is a real viable alternative, especially if folks can be bothered to get their heads around the slightly different interface. I've made it perfectly clear I use both sets of software. Each has it's own faults and flaws, but when you factor in the costs of each, once again I reiterare the point, it's a bit of a no brainer, especially now that PSPX6 that can do I'd guess in my own estimation about 95% of what PS/CS can do, with the remaining 5% being of no real consequence or of little use to photographers. How many togs here be them amateur or pro can honestly say hand on heart that they use PS/CS's or for that matter PSP's capabilities to it's fullest extent. I like to think I know my way around both programs well, but I doubt if I ever use anymore than 65-70% of each of their capabilities and that's being optimistic.......Therefore both programs could be said to be somewhat of a waste of money, only the amounts involved with PS/CS seem to be far more out of proportion than they are with PSP due to their retail costs or for want of a better word "rental" costs now CS is on the Cloud, especially as there no guarantees that the current costs of CS on the cloud will not significantly increase in the future........I guess we'll see on that point in the long term, but I reckon my guess of it staying at 8 per month won't last long, hell even Adobe can't answer that Tongue

Jestertheclown
30 Nov 2013 - 4:48 PM

Quote: hell even Adobe can't answer that

Can't . . .

. . . or won't?

indemnity
indemnity  6331 forum posts
30 Nov 2013 - 4:49 PM

I'm a big Corel x6 fan. Upgraded from x4 recently and whilst the new version is good it doesn't have Nik efex pro plugin.
I see Capture 1 pro is charging ahead arguably as the best raw conversion software. I use this for 85% of needs then PSP. The beauty of having Mamiya/PhaeOne camera is you get the software and all upgrades free.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114521 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2013 - 4:54 PM

Quote: Can't . . .

. . . or won't?

Well you tell me Bren, but being the cynical so and so that I am I'd err more towards "won't" Tongue

Jestertheclown
30 Nov 2013 - 5:01 PM

You have to, don't you . . . ?

As I've said in the other thread that's running re. Adobe CC's apparent superdeal; if they're really intending to keep the rent as it is once your twelve months is up, or at least, very, very close to it, then surely they'd be shouting it from the rooftops, not deliberately refusing to confirm it, one way or the other?

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 30 Nov 2013 - 5:01 PM
arhb
arhb e2 Member 72328 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2013 - 7:00 PM

I think if I ran a company that made handsome profits for as long as Adobe have, I'd be reluctant to change course for more than a short while Smile

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012609 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2013 - 7:08 PM

I doubt many businesses would be able to tell you what price their products will be in 12 months time, it will be a a business decision carefully evaluated I would expect.

RavenTepes
30 Nov 2013 - 7:20 PM

I'm another advocate for Paint Shop Pro. This one could almost be a Nikon VS Canon argument...really though, much of it depends on what you like/need out of your software. PSP has a lot of great features, and in some cases, does a better job than Photoshop, but likewise, there are some advantages that Photoshop has over Paint Shop.

It all boils down to the fact that it's a great software though. Download a trial version and see if you like it.

Paint Shop Pro Ultimate X6

It looks like it's on a good sale right now...

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3805 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2013 - 7:31 PM

Ive been using Paint Shop since .....Corel Suite 4 during the late 1980s I think......I still use it for scanning and to work with its cousin graphics software Corel Draw:

For all else I use CS6:

Hobbo

Jestertheclown
30 Nov 2013 - 8:21 PM

Quote: I doubt many businesses would be able to tell you what price their products will be in 12 months time, it will be a a business decision carefully evaluated I would expect.

Adobe is a large corporation who's sole purpose is to make money.
They will have in place, somewhere, a financial model that will allow them to predict, with some accuracy, just how much they will need to charge for their products in twelve months time and beyond.
It might not be accurate to the penny but it will be sufficiently so that they'll be able to tell whether this superdeal price can remain roughly the same as it is now, or needs to be increased more substantially.
In fact, I'd say that having those figures at their fingertips would have been a prerequisite to putting this superdeal together in the first place.
I'm not suggesting that Adobe are in a position to tell people precisely how much they'll be asking them for in a year's time but I'm sure that they're capable of giving a pretty good indication of which way it's likely to go.
The fact that they're being deliberately uncommunicative isn't helping anyone.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012609 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2013 - 8:28 PM

If you ask me how much I would charge you for services by my company in 12 months time I wouldnt be able to tell you either, doesnt make it secretive or unhelpful you just cant do it. You can dress it up however you like, claim this and that that suits your own personal bias but they are a big business because they are good at what they do, people like their products or they wouldnt buy them. For most amateurs like yourself PS may not even be necessary so if you dont like it dont buy it, use something else.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96340 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
30 Nov 2013 - 8:36 PM

I think the debate has gone off topic !

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.