Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Editor stopped for taking pics of London landmarks

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
montechoro
montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2009 - 8:17 AM

I don't know where this is going

Editor Stopped under Terrorism Law

Anyone else had problems photographing iconic landmarks?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Jun 2009 - 8:17 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RichardN00
RichardN00 e2 Member 7393 forum postsRichardN00 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2009 - 8:26 AM

Quote: 'We don't talk about intelligence...

It's a bl**dy good job they don't

Can you really see a terrorist taking covert pictures with a bright pink camera!

conrad
conrad e2 Member 910870 forum postsconrad vcard 116 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2009 - 8:27 AM

Well, there's a lesson to be learned here, isn't there.

Quote: 'I can only conclude that it was the bright pink Casio camera that I was testing at the time which attracted the police officer's attention.'

Don't use a bright pink camera!

Or an SLR, DSLR, long telephoto lens, tripod, etc., etc., etc. - as we learn from other stories...

Last Modified By conrad at 10 Jun 2009 - 8:27 AM
User_Removed
10 Jun 2009 - 8:36 AM

When a story had been printed in one of the UK's newspapers you often see on here the much repeated adage "don't believe all you read in the newspapers" and yet just because the story is in the AP and about a photographer, then it must be true.

Quite honestly, if this did take place I imagine there is a little more to it or he has in fact gone the other way and embellished it somewhat but I wouldn't be surprised if this gentleman is looking for a little free publicity for himself and his website (which he appears to have got).

I've photographed all over London recently including photographing statues virtually outside the door of the Ministry of Defence and nobody bats an eyelid.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 10 Jun 2009 - 8:39 AM
montechoro
10 Jun 2009 - 8:38 AM

Plod will have a fit on the World Wide Photo Walk Day - 18 July in London then.

50 potential terrorists will be pointing their cameras at buildings and street scenes. I hope they are all issued with new pads to record Stop and Assess targets.

montechoro
10 Jun 2009 - 8:50 AM

Quote: I've photographed all over London recently including photographing statues virtually outside the door of the Ministry of Defence and nobody bats an eyelid.

I'm pleased your experience has been positive Barrie - but reading the posts of others, one a pro stock photographer and seeing the scans of their police interview sheets - it is happening to others.

No idea of the circumstances or background to the police stop - but it is happening to others in major cities.

User_Removed
10 Jun 2009 - 8:54 AM

Yes it happens.. but so does rape, murder, plane crashes and even someone voting Labour but it doesn't happen often and really is the exception rather than the rule. One of the biggest problems we have in this country (more than in most other countries in my experience) is the way we react (over react) to sound bites, conjecture and rumour. It's as if they have put something in the water that has removed all vestiges of common sense Smile

Quote: one a pro stock photographer

Not sure what on Earth this has to do with anything to be honest Grin I'm a pro photographer too and if anything, that makes life more difficult 'cos the equipment you carry makes you more visible

Last Modified By User_Removed at 10 Jun 2009 - 8:57 AM
montechoro
10 Jun 2009 - 9:00 AM

Quote: Yes it happens.. but so does rape, murder,plane crashes and even someone voting Labour but it doesn't happen often and really is the exception rather than the rule.

Being the exception doesn't make it acceptable though Barrie.

Quote:one a pro stock photographerNot sure what on Earth this has to do with anything to be honest I'm a pro photographer too and if anything, that makes life more difficult 'cos the equipment you carry makes you more visible -quote

You stated "no-one bats an eyelid" - that is your experience - others are being stopped and inteviewed Don't forget the Greek guy on the train a couple of weeks ago - he was held overnight and had to go to court - on the day - case dismissed.

It's not so clear cut as you suggest IMO.

User_Removed
10 Jun 2009 - 9:06 AM

Quote: Being the exception doesn't make it acceptable though Barrie

Life is imperfect. There will always be individual cases where a bad call has been made. We all make mistakes in things we do (it's called being human) and police officers do make errors of judgement (some more serious than others).

We have to take a balanced view and not over react because of a few (a very few) cases when:

a: we simply do not have all the facts and
b: quite often there is a lot more going on than is immediately apparent from reading a headline or a biased viewpoint for example:

Quote: While on the subway, the mother of a child complained about the fact that he was taking photos of her underage daughter. Mr. Antoniou apologised to the mother and erased all photos which depicted her daughter. However, the father of the youngster was not satisfied with this, and on the next train station asked for the help of police officers, who arrested the Greek visitor

Which describes the circumstances of the arrest of the 'Greek guy' you referred to (as reported by the man himself). I am not making any judgement in this case just pointing out that often there is more to a story than might always be immediately apparent

Smile

Last Modified By User_Removed at 10 Jun 2009 - 9:10 AM
montechoro
10 Jun 2009 - 9:13 AM

Quote:
We have to take a balanced view and not over react because of a few (a very few) cases

No one is over reacting - but unless it gets reported and the issue is raised and discussed - no one is aware of it.

Unless people comment on it and discuss it openly - how do we know how many cases there are?

It might be under reported because people are too embarrassed to talk about it.

Discussion is healthy.

User_Removed
10 Jun 2009 - 9:16 AM

Quote: No one is over reacting{/quote]
Errr.. not so sure about that. One or two events and suddenly it is happening everywhere, to everyone

[quote]It might be under reported because people are too embarrassed to talk about it.

I can see it now... a tog chatting to a mate down the pub...

"Yes, I've got Herpes and had Syphillis 4 times now. My case for the sexual assault of next door's cat comes up on Friday, my wife has run of with Dale Winton and on top of that, (and this is really embarrassing, so don't tell anyone), I was stopped by the police for taking photos"

Grin

Last Modified By User_Removed at 10 Jun 2009 - 9:18 AM
montechoro
10 Jun 2009 - 9:17 AM

Quote:While on the subway, the mother of a child complained about the fact that he was taking photos of her underage daughter. Mr. Antoniou apologised to the mother and erased all photos which depicted her daughter. However, the father of the youngster was not satisfied with this, and on the next train station asked for the help of police officers, who arrested the Greek visitorWhich describes the circumstances of the arrest of the 'Greek guy' you referred to (as reported by the man himself). I am not making any judgement in this case just pointing out that often there is more to a story than might always be immediately apparent
[/quote]

Accurate reporting is even more essential Barrie. The girl was 17 years old and did not feature prominently in the photographs which were of the entire railway carriage. The guy deleted the images and was still arrested.

montechoro
10 Jun 2009 - 9:18 AM

Quote: Quote:It might be under reported because people are too embarrassed to talk about it.
I can see it now... a tog chatting to a mate down the pub...

"Yes, I've got Herpes and had Syphillis 4 times now. My case for the sexual assault of next door's cat comes up on Friday, my wife has run of with Dale Winton and on top of that, (and this is really embarrassing, so don't tell anyone), I was stopped by the police for taking photos"

That is just a silly contribution Barrie

paulcr
paulcr e2 Member 91536 forum postspaulcr vcard Ireland9 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2009 - 9:21 AM

Actually if I wanted to take photos for use in terrorism I would definitely use a pink camera. I'd be as obvious as possible and act totally shocked if I was stopped. Whats the alternative? hiding in bushes or alleyways hoping not to be seen taking photos? Glad we don't have the same restrictions here.

croberts
croberts  92160 forum posts Ireland8 Constructive Critique Points
10 Jun 2009 - 9:24 AM

Quote: That is just a silly contribution Barrie

i think it illustrates his point very well...

What about if we use this thread to allow people on this site to post their own personal experience of being stopped photographing by the police. Not something they read or heard about, or their mates told them down the pub.

It would give a good clear picture of the extent of the problem, if there is one...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.