Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Editors Choice Gallery

Lowestoftis 4 33 3
7 Apr 2012 10:07PM
Just had a look in the Editors Choice Gallery on here and was immediately struck by how many of the images chosen have been photoshopped to within an inch of their lives.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Glynn e2
8 1.2k 1 England
7 Apr 2012 10:13PM
How can you tell ?
Lowestoftis 4 33 3
7 Apr 2012 10:14PM
Very funny.
KevSB
10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2012 10:44PM
Yep, I noticed that also, terrific images and skills
Lowestoftis 4 33 3
7 Apr 2012 10:48PM
I totally agree, fantastic computer skills.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
7 Apr 2012 10:51PM

Quote:immediately struck by how many of the images chosen have been photoshopped to within an inch of their lives.

I took a look at the EC gallery - probably first time I've done that in years! I do, sort of, see what you mean, actually. A slogan for EPZ: "If you wanna EC award get Photoshopping!" Grin

I suppose it reflects the reality that, in these digital days, what you do after you press the shutter button is as important - if not more so - than what you do before.
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
7 Apr 2012 10:55PM
this is it skills are skills photoshopping is no different to the dark room of yesteryear and most great photographers use it.
Eastlands e2
4 687 3 Northern Ireland
7 Apr 2012 11:02PM
Photography today includes post production techniques just as there was manipulation in the darkroom for all those years when they fooled us into believing what we saw.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
7 Apr 2012 11:04PM
I award what I think is the best of the day and that's whatever's being uploaded. So in autumn more fungi shots may get awards, in spring it might be wildflowers, birds crop up a lot too. I don't descriminate. Upload great un manipulated photos and they'll get awards.
Lowestoftis 4 33 3
7 Apr 2012 11:07PM
I think photoshopping is most certainly a skill, it would just be nice to see a few more images in there that are great photographs straight out of the camera. I collect old catalogues of photograph sales and there are some superb images in them that really make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. And none of them are like these over processed Mickey Mouse cloned, burned, dodged, and painted perfection pics you see in there.
Eastlands e2
4 687 3 Northern Ireland
7 Apr 2012 11:09PM
Are you sure ????????? Wink
Lowestoftis 4 33 3
7 Apr 2012 11:10PM
Yes I am.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
7 Apr 2012 11:31PM

Quote:This is it skills are skills photoshopping is no different to the dark room of yesteryear and most great photographers use it.

But the point is, in the good old days of film, all but about 0.01% of those who took photographs merely handed over their film for routine processing.

Now the percentage using manipulation is much higher, with cameras and even camera phones capable of doing manipulation without necessarily using imaging software.
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
8 Apr 2012 5:48AM

Quote:Just had a look in the Editors Choice Gallery on here and was immediately struck by how many of the images chosen have been photoshopped to within an inch of their lives.

Well why not take a spell as a guest Editor, rather than decrying someone else's choice? We could then see these great images you talk about.
franken e2
12 3.3k 4 Wales
8 Apr 2012 9:06AM
I think the editors choice is often misunderstood, it's not decided by a panel of judges Pete selects what he considers worthy and not what other people think he should select.

We all have different tastes in photography and Pete's no different.

Ken

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.