Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Editors Choice Gallery

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Lowestoftis
7 Apr 2012 - 10:07 PM

Just had a look in the Editors Choice Gallery on here and was immediately struck by how many of the images chosen have been photoshopped to within an inch of their lives.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Apr 2012 - 10:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Glynn
Glynn  81169 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 10:13 PM

How can you tell ?

Lowestoftis
7 Apr 2012 - 10:14 PM

Very funny.

KevSB
KevSB  101404 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 10:44 PM

Yep, I noticed that also, terrific images and skills

Lowestoftis
7 Apr 2012 - 10:48 PM

I totally agree, fantastic computer skills.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 10:51 PM

Quote: immediately struck by how many of the images chosen have been photoshopped to within an inch of their lives.

I took a look at the EC gallery - probably first time I've done that in years! I do, sort of, see what you mean, actually. A slogan for EPZ: "If you wanna EC award get Photoshopping!" Grin

I suppose it reflects the reality that, in these digital days, what you do after you press the shutter button is as important - if not more so - than what you do before.

ianrobinson
ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 10:55 PM

this is it skills are skills photoshopping is no different to the dark room of yesteryear and most great photographers use it.

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3648 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 11:02 PM

Photography today includes post production techniques just as there was manipulation in the darkroom for all those years when they fooled us into believing what we saw.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318433 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 11:04 PM

I award what I think is the best of the day and that's whatever's being uploaded. So in autumn more fungi shots may get awards, in spring it might be wildflowers, birds crop up a lot too. I don't descriminate. Upload great un manipulated photos and they'll get awards.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 7 Apr 2012 - 11:09 PM
Lowestoftis
7 Apr 2012 - 11:07 PM

I think photoshopping is most certainly a skill, it would just be nice to see a few more images in there that are great photographs straight out of the camera. I collect old catalogues of photograph sales and there are some superb images in them that really make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. And none of them are like these over processed Mickey Mouse cloned, burned, dodged, and painted perfection pics you see in there.

Eastlands
Eastlands e2 Member 3648 forum postsEastlands vcard Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 11:09 PM

Are you sure ????????? Wink

Lowestoftis
7 Apr 2012 - 11:10 PM

Yes I am.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Apr 2012 - 11:31 PM

Quote: This is it skills are skills photoshopping is no different to the dark room of yesteryear and most great photographers use it.

But the point is, in the good old days of film, all but about 0.01% of those who took photographs merely handed over their film for routine processing.

Now the percentage using manipulation is much higher, with cameras and even camera phones capable of doing manipulation without necessarily using imaging software.

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73818 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2012 - 5:48 AM

Quote: Just had a look in the Editors Choice Gallery on here and was immediately struck by how many of the images chosen have been photoshopped to within an inch of their lives.

Well why not take a spell as a guest Editor, rather than decrying someone else's choice? We could then see these great images you talk about.

franken
franken e2 Member 113048 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2012 - 9:06 AM

I think the editors choice is often misunderstood, it's not decided by a panel of judges Pete selects what he considers worthy and not what other people think he should select.

We all have different tastes in photography and Pete's no different.

Ken

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.