Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Editors Choice Gallery

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

KevSB
KevSB  101410 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2012 - 9:11 AM

Quote: I totally agree, fantastic computer skills.

Computer skills are the modern day Darkroom, no difference from the past in that regard

In the day those who did not have darkrooms complained about those who did, Slide film helped a little on the club scene and alowed two types of photography to run alongside each other

Last Modified By KevSB at 8 Apr 2012 - 9:13 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Apr 2012 - 9:11 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2012 - 9:18 AM

Quote: photoshopping is no different to the dark room of yesteryear

indeed - I always sit in a dark room with a red light on, with lots of chemicals around me, when I'm photoshopping Wink

I started a thread on this subject and deliberately avoided mentioning EC/HC and EPZ - because it's not just on EPZ where you see the dominance of "shopped" images... tiz everywhere, every site, every competition... not fair to have a dig at EPZ for this alone. Try 500px if you want to see "shopped heaven" Wink

Actually... I got my first EC in ages with a non-shopped image of a little girl playing in a fountain... that was nice, a "real" photo getting recognition Smile Just did a mono conversion with Lightroom and didn't even open it up in Photoshop..

I think people can hit upon that "winning formula" - a blend of shooting and processing which works. I can think of 2 fantastic togs who get awards for virtually every shot from Salford Quays and the Welsh Coast, respectively. Is the difference between them and those who don't get awards mainly down to their prowess in Photoshop?

The only way to truly know is if they let someone process one of their RAW files and upload them....

franken
franken e2 Member 123172 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2012 - 9:27 AM

I can remember my photography teacher asking for images that are unreal. This was in the days of film.

I had a darkroom and processed all my own work. I photographed a local railway station I then photographed a bus outside of it.

I printed both images and carefully cut out the bus using a scalpel. I then thinned the underside of the edges of the bus so it sits better onto the railway station platform before gluing it onto the image. I then photographed the finished image and printed it. I got a 10 for that!

I and many others did a lot of manipulation in the days of film. Digital has made it easier and that's all.

Ken

Last Modified By franken at 8 Apr 2012 - 9:29 AM
SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64534 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2012 - 9:34 AM

Yes, solarisation, toning, bleaching, flashing, hand colouring, masking. Oh so much easier now, but I do miss the smells. Wink

Lowestoftis
8 Apr 2012 - 2:02 PM

It's a shame there is no way of having a special section on here where people could just post their raw images on. I have now decided that I will upload my pics straight from the camera to here only using the crop and resize facility. I might win the new "Stubborn Old Sod Award."

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014842 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2012 - 2:09 PM

the "before and after" option is useful for this

you may have to be E2 to use it though...

but it's a variation on the "version" theme

Lowestoftis
8 Apr 2012 - 3:12 PM

Thanks for the info Ade. I think I'll just post untouched by photoshop software pics and see how I get on. It should make me think a bit more before pressing the camera shutter. A bit like the bad old days.

ade_mcfade
8 Apr 2012 - 6:07 PM

actually, I put some before and afters on facebook the other day... .

They're not complete, but just showed how far you can get with Lightroom 4 - before you delve into Photoshop

bricurtis
bricurtis e2 Member 91909 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2012 - 8:37 PM

Quote: It's a shame there is no way of having a special section on here where people could just post their raw images on.

Don't get it - how are you going to upload a RAW image. !!!!

JJGEE
JJGEE  96340 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2012 - 8:57 PM

Quote: how are you going to upload a RAW image. !!!!

You upload it to the Downloads then people download it and process it.

Jestertheclown

Blimey!
I'd forgotten that that place existed!

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012609 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2012 - 9:17 PM

Perhaps its time for another RAW challenge Grin

bricurtis
bricurtis e2 Member 91909 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2012 - 9:20 PM

Quote: how are you going to upload a RAW image. !!!!

You upload it to the Downloads then people download it and process it.

Thanks very much for the Link.

Jestertheclown

Quote: Perhaps its time for another RAW challenge Grin

Could be K.

That 'downloads' section is exactly the kind of backwater that I'm always moaning that I don't know exist.
A new challenge might remind a few people that it's still there and perhaps, inform a few others that have no knowledge of its existence.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012609 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
9 Apr 2012 - 9:27 PM

OK, I'll sort one out.Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.