Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

EF lens to replace EF-S 10-22

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43917 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Aug 2012 - 8:34 PM

Am thinking of changing my 7D for 1D Mk.IV and understand that my beloved EF-S 10-22 won't fit.
    So, what do I replace it with? My other lenses are the EF 24-105 and the EF 70-200 2.8 so they are not a problem, just the 10-22
    Suggestions please....oh, and a request from the Chancellor of the Exchequer here at Salty Towers...aguements for and against changing from 7D to 1D...she likes to stick her nose in...Sad

Malc

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Aug 2012 - 8:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Mick_Clayton
    28 Aug 2012 - 8:43 PM

The EF-S 10-22mm is the same as the 16-35 mm on a full frame camera. as you have got L glass i would go for the EF16-35mm 2.8mm or the EF17-40mm F4 both good glass

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43917 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway25 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Aug 2012 - 8:49 PM

Quote: The EF-S 10-22mm is the same as the 16-35 mm on a full frame camera. as you have got L glass i would go for the EF16-35mm 2.8mm or the EF17-40mm F4 both good glass

Must admit I like the idea of the 16-35 as it is 2.8 through the whole range, but the difference in price over the 17-40 is quite a lot to justify, but there again, I guess the 1D deserves the best? Ergo, I don't really want to consider other than Canon glass...or are there other opinions?
    Must earn some more brownie points with The Chancellor.Wink

Malc

Last Modified By saltireblue at 28 Aug 2012 - 8:51 PM
    arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72274 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Aug 2012 - 9:11 PM

I used a 10-20 sigma with a 1Dmk2n, which at 12mm upwards worked well.
    I think Tokina make a 12-24 F2.8 that I was always interested in, to work with the 1.3x crop sensor on the 1D range.
    Maybe a wide prime lens might be worth investigating?

Paintman
    Paintman e2 Member 8857 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom173 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Aug 2012 - 9:32 PM

Zeiss 21mm Distagon f2.8
    Canon TS-E 17mm f4

wildworlds
    28 Aug 2012 - 10:06 PM

Difficult one. I suppose it depends on what you are going to shoot? Do you need f2.8? or do you want f2.8? Not much point in a 2.8 lens if you are going to use it stopped down most of the time. For what I would use a lens of that length for I would never notice the extra speed and therefore could not justify the extra cost. The comment by arhb of considering a prime makes good sense.....usually a lot sharper too. As for dealing with the Chancellor, I would start by leaving Hasselblad price lists around, then when the bill comes in for the new Canon kit, nice surprise! No? Its never worked for me either.
    G

Christographer_Hull

Sigma 12-24? or Tokina 16-35?

javam
    javam  91083 forum posts United Kingdom19 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Aug 2012 - 11:47 AM

In my case I would go for the Canon 17-40 over the 16-35 for the same reasons I have the 5.6 version of the sigma 10-20 not the f3.5 version. I hardly every use it wide open and it means all my lenses take a 77mm filter/ring.

saltireblue
    29 Aug 2012 - 11:55 AM

Putting my sensible head on for a moment (the Chancellor gave me a talking to) I have to admit struggling to justify the extra cost of the f2.8. I don not feel I am going to be standing there one day thinking, "If only I had bought the 2.8"
    Head rules over heart time, I think.

wildworlds
    29 Aug 2012 - 2:21 PM

Course you will regret it! Thatís just human nature. But a camera and a lens is just a tool, no different to a spanner. If it does the job it does the job. There is so much hype and marketing pressure with photographic equipment these days itís crazy. Why on earth do Canon paint the most expensive long lenses white? So that the aspiring photographers can spot the pros using them at sporting events etc. and want one.
    Tell the Chancellor that with the money SHE has saved on the lens, you will both go away for the weekend. Leave her in the Spa at the hotel and you go off and shoot some stuff. That will make her happy!
    Grin

saltireblue
    29 Aug 2012 - 3:49 PM

George, I like your way of thinking...it might just work!Wink

Malc

parallax
    parallax e2 Member 5116 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
    1 Sep 2012 - 11:03 PM

There's the Carl Zeiss 21mm Distagon F2.8 prime. It's a killer lens.

saltireblue
    2 Sep 2012 - 10:11 AM

That's it then.
    A spanking brand new 17-40 has been acquired to accompany the equally spanking brand new 5D Mk.III.
    Nice to have something new to play withGrin
    Many thanks to an understanding Chancellor, who in 3 weeks time will be enjoying 3 days in Paris.Wink

Malc

wildworlds
    2 Sep 2012 - 7:13 PM

Isnít Paris wonderful? There is so much for us both to do. You know, next year we should go to.......(insert great photographic location)
    You could spend time.............(insert activity that does not involve shopping) and we can spend evenings together having romantic dinners ......(ad lib as necessary.)

WinkWinkWink

G

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.