Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Eight women charged for "throwing" badminton matches

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014441 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Aug 2012 - 7:21 PM

This is just sickening, and it reflects on the politics that still permeates international sporting events. It has been going on for decades, and it is so unfair to the athletes who take their sports seriously, and who would never become involved in such shameful shenannigans. Doping seems to be under control now, but there are certain countries that don't have a clue about the meaning of these games. I hope the athletes, coaches, and countries involved in these particular incidents are duly penalised and never permitted to participate in another international event. It is so shameful. Booooo!!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Aug 2012 - 7:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

min
min  3519 forum posts England
1 Aug 2012 - 8:06 PM

well said, they should hang their heads in shame,

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
1 Aug 2012 - 8:33 PM

I think they should be made to personally refund the people who paid good money to watch that rubbish.

bainsybike
2 Aug 2012 - 1:15 AM

Hmmm...
Tactical play is accepted in other disciplines. For example, in events like the 100m sprint, the top athletes don't give their all in the heats, but only do enough to get through to the next stage. The athlete's goal is to win a medal, and it seems to me that these unfortunate badminton players were using their best efforts to do that. I'd be more inclined to blame whoever drafted the rules that lead to this sort of situation.

Sabreur
Sabreur  9767 forum posts England
2 Aug 2012 - 8:00 AM

The rules of badminton require players to try to do their best to win the match and the players disciplined were found not to have done that. They also made it really obvious, which is why the referee noticed at the time, and they were charged with bringing the game into disrepute too.

mikehit
mikehit  46146 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2012 - 8:03 AM

If you remember the German Austria 'anschluss' game in the 1982 World Cup, they had the same sort of situation: a 1-0 win put Germany on top of the group (they were happy) and ensured Austria went through on goal difference at the expense of Algeria (who had played the previous day so they knew what they had to do). Since then the final games of each group are played at the same time to avoid this happening. I don't know why they could not do the same thing here.
I agree it goes against the unwritten ethos of sport, but the objective of sport is to win, not to please the crowd - they have exhibition matches for that.

But I have heard 2 different scenarios on the badminton issue: avoiding playing each other and so play a weakened team, or avoiding playing each other to ensure China has a chance of winning 2 medals. The first is practical and not pretty. The second is totally unacceptable because it suggests they would have tried harder had it not been a Chinese pair in the other group.

thewilliam
2 Aug 2012 - 10:35 AM

Quote: Hmmm...
Tactical play is accepted in other disciplines. For example, in events like the 100m sprint, the top athletes don't give their all in the heats, but only do enough to get through to the next stage. The athlete's goal is to win a medal, and it seems to me that these unfortunate badminton players were using their best efforts to do that. I'd be more inclined to blame whoever drafted the rules that lead to this sort of situation.

When Bolt "bolts" with less than 100% effort, it still looks good. The spectators have paid good money to see a show and I'd say they were entitled to see a good show.

Sport is a business after all!

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2012 - 12:10 PM

Quote: I don't know why they could not do the same thing here.

Because badminton match doesn't finished in a set time?

Quote: The spectators have paid good money to see a show and I'd say they were entitled to see a good show

What about football team not playing their best players/team in the match? The spectators paid good money for that as well?

It is wrong, there is no denying.
But if every athlete/competitor/participant/team has to do their very best in every round so that spectators have their money worth, then it should apply to all events.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 2 Aug 2012 - 12:13 PM
keithh
keithh  1022760 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2012 - 12:14 PM

The organisers were warned some time ago that a round robin type competition would result in just this situation.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
2 Aug 2012 - 1:09 PM

Quote: But if every athlete/competitor/participant/team has to do their very best in every round so that spectators have their money worth, then it should apply to all events.

There is a huge difference in running below your best to preserve something for later rounds and deliberately trying to lose. Everyone watching heats knows that they are unlikely to see the best performances, which is why the ticket prices are lower than for finals. If sports like badminton are going to have round robins in the future then perhaps they should have a draw for the knockout stages so no one knows in advance who they are going to get.

mikehit
2 Aug 2012 - 1:43 PM

Quote: a draw for the knockout stages so no one knows in advance who they are going to get.

Which is exctly what they used to do until this time round, apparently

dcash29
dcash29  81896 forum posts England
2 Aug 2012 - 6:51 PM

Its nothing to do with the rules, the blame lies with the players and coaches.

You dont have to have their experience to mask youve lost a game of badminton on purpose.

Quote: Tactical play is accepted in other disciplines. For example, in events like the 100m sprint, the top athletes don't give their all in the heats, but only do enough to get through to the next stage.

If you saw an example of this in 100m heats the times would be 50secs plus.

Last Modified By dcash29 at 2 Aug 2012 - 6:53 PM
mikehit
2 Aug 2012 - 9:29 PM

Quote: Its nothing to do with the rules, the blame lies with the players and coaches.

In what way is it not to do with the rules? Players will do what they have to win - that is why they are where they are. And if they can bend the rules to their benefit they will.
The Australians introduced an unprecedented level of sledging into cricket. The All Blacks are pre-eminent in 'playing the referee'. Players in football dive and try to get the other player sent off. You may not like it but it is part and parcel of modern sport.
The round robin in the badminston was introduced for this olympics and when it was announced, people in the sport predicted that this would happen and raised their concerns to the ruling committee(s). Can you blame the players for seeking an easier route to the final?

dcash29
dcash29  81896 forum posts England
2 Aug 2012 - 11:32 PM

Mike all the cheating youve mentioned especially football is why i dont understand the following.

Quote:
Can you blame the players for seeking an easier route to the final?

A simple answer for any true sportsman....YES

Last Modified By dcash29 at 2 Aug 2012 - 11:35 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat  1014441 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Aug 2012 - 11:36 PM

In this case, the Chinese were trying to throw their game to benefit the other Chinese team, and virtually guarantee a gold and silver in the finals. In future limit them to one team, and suspend the players and coaches involved in this year;s debacle for 4+ years to prevent their participation in the next olympics. This was a favourite trick of the Russians and Czhecs in ice hockey, and the French and Russians in figure skating, in which the Russian and French judges made deals to ensure both countries won medals. This year's badminton fiasco is just another reason I have no faith in judging and referee systems, especially international. The Olympic Spirit has been dealt another crippling blow, imo.Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.