Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

EIZO CX240 and Spyder 3 Elite software

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ianmoore
    27 Jan 2014 - 2:21 PM

We have just purchased an Eizo CX240 Monitor and we connect it to a Sony Vaio AW series laptop for critical photoediting. The Sony laptop has an Adobe 1998 gamut,similar to the Eizo. However,we calibrate the Sony with Datacolor Sypder 3 Elite calibrator and software,which is fine.

When we try to calibrate the Eizo monitor,the supplied ColorNavigator software does not work,it conflicts with the Spyder 3 software. We have to uninstall the Spyder 3 software from the laptop and run ColorNavigator on the Monitor. We would like both the monitor and the Sony laptop calibrated and profiled to the same settings (white point,etc) so that the images on both are colour managed and look similar.

The only ways round this appear to be :-

a. Calibrate both the laptop and Monitor with the Syder 3 package,but then you lose the advantages of using ColorNavigator with the Monitor.

b. Calibrate the Monitor first with the ColorNavigator,then install the Spyder3 software on the laptop and calibrate it. When it comes to recalibrating in say a month,the Spyder software has to be uninstalled from the laptop in order to calibrate the Monitor with ColorNavigator,etc.

Any tips from anyone who has experienced this issue.

Thanks.

Ian.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Jan 2014 - 2:21 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1022911 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jan 2014 - 2:39 PM

You've paid a fortune to use Eizos hardware calibration.......use it.
    Chances are you'll never match the laptop anyway.

Philh04
    Philh04  855 forum posts
    27 Jan 2014 - 2:48 PM

Can the Graphics card handle dual LUT's? If not you will only be able to calibrate and profile one monitor & I agree with Keith...

ianmoore
    27 Jan 2014 - 7:35 PM

Thanks,I know that calibrating the Monitor is what counts. The Sony does have a 17in screen with full Adobe 1998 gamut so it would be nice to continue using its capabilities.

Ian.

GlennH
    GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jan 2014 - 5:03 PM

Maybe use BasicColor Display to calibrate both, which should retain hardware calibration in the Eizo?

Not sure it's something worth chasing though - I'd be inclined to agree with Keith and just use the Sony screen for spare space, regardless of its wide gamut.

ianmoore
    1 May 2014 - 3:19 PM

We took averyone's advice and we have uninstalled the Spyder 3 software from the Sony laptop, and we just calibrate the Eizo monitor with ColorNavigator usinf the Spyder measurement device.

All seems to be working very well.

However,just one query. The Eizo calibrates using its own hardware. Do we need to go into the Colour Management Tool in the Control Panel of the Sony laptop and set the colour profile of the Eizo as the default profile for the Eizo? Does this matter?

When we do go into the Colour Management Tool,we notice that, whilst two displays are identified,they are both called 'Generic PnP Monitor - NVIDIA GeForce 9600 M GT'.

Not sure which one the graphics card in the Sony laptop is identifying as the Eizo ,and which one is the laptop. We thought it would identify the Eizo by name and the laptop as the Sony display.

Does this matter if the Eizo uses hardware calibration and profiling?

All help appreciated.

Ian Moore

GlennH
    1 May 2014 - 7:43 PM

You need the ICC profile to characterise your display in colour-managed software, so I'd be mildly concerned if it did not surface in the OS. It's not the same as calibration data or a calibration profile, which will be loaded to your monitor LUT. With cheaper monitors calibration data is tagged into the prevailing ICC profile, and loaded to the GPU LUT at startup--that's the process that won't theoretically happen if you hardware calibrate.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    1 May 2014 - 8:05 PM

Quote: hardware calibrate.

What is hardware calibrate ?

justin c
    justin c  104519 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    1 May 2014 - 8:10 PM

Calibration using hardware.

GlennH
    1 May 2014 - 8:15 PM

Quote: What is hardware calibrate ?

It's the ability to load calibration data directly to the programmable LUT of a monitor, rather than have it processed through a graphics card LUT. Benefits include smoother gradation, and the ability to easily jump around between different calibration profiles (i.e. various combinations of white point and luminance level, which might be useful in physically emulating printing papers instead of soft-proofing). Nice feature, but usually expensive.

JJGEE
    JJGEE  96291 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    1 May 2014 - 8:27 PM

Quote: Calibration using hardware.

So would that be using my eye-one display 2 colorimeter ?

I thought it was the iProfiler software that done the calibration.

Last Modified By JJGEE at 1 May 2014 - 8:29 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.