Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

EIZO Monitor question (CG241W)

6 Jun 2014 10:48PM
Maybe a silly question but ......
Looked for a monitor specifically for image processing and was able by a used Eizo ColorEdge CG241W.
It arrived and looks complete. However, when looking at the images on Eizo one of them shows the monitor with a 'thing' hanging in front of the monitor (looks a bit like a mouse). What is that? I looked at all the parts Eizo lists and none of them seemed to be it.
Any help is appreciated here.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

RoyBoy 10 173 2 United Kingdom
6 Jun 2014 10:58PM
I suspect that you are referring to the calibration device
6 Jun 2014 11:07PM
Confirming my worst fear .......
Meaning the monitor useless without it?
Could I buy that from somewhere?
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
6 Jun 2014 11:23PM
Well it's not useless without it but any hardware calibration device will do the job. As with most things you get what you pay for but most consumer units are much of a muchness. 60 for a color munki smile up to 180 for a i1 Pro.
7 Jun 2014 2:03AM
I keep looking around and can't really find anywhere in the manual a mention of the devise. I did however find a EIZO video on youtube that talks of integrated calibration devise. So will have to set it all up and see what happens.
I paid $600 for it, so I guess even if I have to pay for the devise it is still a good deal.

I will post update.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
7 Jun 2014 7:49AM
It's an older model. I would have thought it came with software and maybe even included hardware that is no longer with it.
thewilliam 6 4.9k
7 Jun 2014 12:07PM
A monitor calibration device is something that you use occasionally so you could always borrow from a friend.

When buying, especially second-hand, you need to check that the intended calibrator will work with your computer's operating system.

Most of our imaging machines still use Windows XP but the latest acquisition has Windows 8 and the software of our EyeOne isn't compatible. The dealer admitted that the manufacturer wasn't supporting this "old" calibrator because we were supposed to update and buy a new one. We did buy another but not one of theirs!
7 Jun 2014 1:46PM

Quote:A monitor calibration device is something that you use occasionally

As far as I know, monitor calibration should be carried out frequently as the settings tend to drift.
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
7 Jun 2014 2:52PM
Monitor calibrators also drift in accuracy over time, so buying a secondhand one could very well be a false economy. I tend to agree with William that calibrating occasionally is fine for most people, although this will obviously vary from person to person according to monitor usage and need. The backlighting in the monitor will also play a part, since LED backlighting theoretically fades at a slower pace than CCFL. The software support issue may possibly be improved by using 3rd party software (e.g. BasICColor Display).
thewilliam 6 4.9k
9 Jun 2014 9:59AM
I'd suggest using the classic "quality assurance" approach to monitor calibration.

We're vulgar professionals with several workstations so, at the start of each day, we can bring the same image up on each monitor. If they look the same, they're probably correct.

You can have a "standard" print which you can compare with the monitor and check that they look the same.

With high quality monitors, I see little point in over-frequent calibration, once a month should be plenty: hence my suggestion to borrow a calibrator but use the same one each time.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.