Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Elan Valley - 30th October

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Mari
Mari  101825 forum posts Wales
17 Oct 2005 - 12:49 PM

A few of us have been talking about a trip to Elan Valley, Mid-Wales on Oct 30th ( A Sunday I think)

Anyone is welcome to come along. I went last year and its mostly driving around the area stopping off at various locations.

Elan Valley

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Oct 2005 - 12:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ReidFJR
ReidFJR  9310 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Oct 2005 - 12:56 PM

I went there in August - it was brilliant - red kites , waterfalls, panoramic valleys , rivers , lakes , nature reserves - it has it all - i had a great time and im sure anyone who goes would do so too - stayed at Elan Valley Hotel and the food/hospitality was great - regards Frank

Little Jo
Little Jo e2 Member 122272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
17 Oct 2005 - 1:00 PM

Frank

You're just making Little Jo wish Wales wasn't so far away. I'd go back there tomorrow if I could. There's yummy food at 'The Strand' cafe in Rhayader too.

I could do with some relaxation.

Jo

maroondah
maroondah  11239 forum posts Australia1 Constructive Critique Points
17 Oct 2005 - 2:25 PM

Hi Marie,
I have been unable to get out much but would love to catch up with you on this one. I will watch the thread for times etc.
Hope your well.
Regards
Gerry

steveb
steveb  9329 forum posts United Kingdom
17 Oct 2005 - 9:37 PM

I drove around the Elan Valley last summer after buying a camera nearby, and found it packed. Some places I wanted to stop at there was no space to park. Later a freind who had visited before said never go on a weekend, too many people about. How busy is it on an October Sunday?

Mari
18 Oct 2005 - 4:50 AM

Will be good to see you Gerry Smile

When I went in October last year, I saw hardly a soul but it was a Friday!! The visitor centre there closes at the end of Oct, so there's no telling really how busy it may be, depends a lot on the weather. Its a big place though and hopefully room for a few photographers!!

maljohns
maljohns  10431 forum posts Wales
18 Oct 2005 - 8:23 AM

I'll come - if I get to pee in the Brummies' water! Smile

Mal.

UserRemoved
18 Oct 2005 - 9:58 AM

I'll definitely be making every attempt to make it - if only to see Mal giving the Brummies some flavour to their water! Smile

Rob_Taylor
Rob_Taylor  10659 forum posts Wales5 Constructive Critique Points
18 Oct 2005 - 12:55 PM

Put me down as a definite please Mari.
Be nice to get together again and hopefully meet a few new people too.
Mark won't have any trouble parking his 'matchbox' mini! ...how he gets his rucksack in it I'll never know!
Hope you've got a nice pub lined up for lunch ...got to get your priorities right!

Looking forward to it.

Rob

redmist
redmist  8 United Kingdom
18 Oct 2005 - 5:13 PM

Count me in to Mari seeing as last Sunday's trip there was a non event due to thick claggy horrible mist, not the nice stuff. Was so depressed on returning home I rang The Samaritans and after telling them my problem, three of them tried to commit suicide ! LOL
BCNU
Carl

gwyn h
gwyn h  10432 forum posts
18 Oct 2005 - 11:19 PM

As things are at the moment put me down as a definite doubtful Mari! Will have more of an idea nearer the time of the proposed visit.

Gwyn :0(

Franticsmurf
19 Oct 2005 - 11:13 AM

I'm up for this one, Mari. It'll be good to see the old crowd (well, you know what I mean) and some new faces.

Dave

Simon E
Simon E  11132 forum posts
19 Oct 2005 - 11:39 AM

Elan Valley will be pretty quiet at this time of year. To get the light on the dam walls you need to be there in the morning; having said that, expecting good light in the Welsh hills in October is pushing it a bit!

A 1:50,000 map (sheet 147) might help, or key this grid ref into streetmap.co.uk: SN923644

The Claerwen river has some nice breaks (I wouldn't go as far as calling them waterfalls), but I think most photo opportunities are along the Eastern reservoirs. I particularly like the rocks below Penygarreg wall, just above the hump-back bridge.

There is also potential in the Afon Elan at Pont ar Elan, where the river enters the very top of Craig Goch. Turn right to get back to Rhayader along another picturesque stretch.

The Wye valley at Pont Marteg (Marteg Bridge) is particularly attractive, for those with time.

There are a couple of nice pubs in Rhayader IIRC, try asking at Clive Powell's mountain bike shop (www.clivepowell-mtb.co.uk), or stock up on flapjacks and eccles cakes in the Spar before you head out.

Here are a few shots by a friend of mine.

Sorry if this is old hat, but I thought to mention it, just in case...

Mari
19 Oct 2005 - 10:37 PM

Thanks Simon, are you coming along?

brian13
brian13  10218 forum posts
20 Oct 2005 - 12:19 PM

I am OK too. Room in car.
Brian.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.