Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Election Thread

roxpix 11 2.2k 11 Scotland
6 May 2010 4:34PM
Since we don’t have an Election thread I thought I’d kick one off

Cast my vote earlier so job done for another 5 years

Couple of observations from this campaign (we’ve seen enough of national level so this is just local to me)

Not directly heard or been mailed by any politician or candidate for years until election announced, plenty of literature through over the last month with notable changes to the old leaflets we used to get, they now look like personal financial letters/envelopes to encourage you to take the letter seriously

Lib-Dem’s really want to keep this seat and have spent the most money in ‘advertising’ & other costs by a huge margin (shame this is 5 years worth of budget blown in a month so we wont hear from them again for some time
Barely tuppence spent by Torries not one roadside sign/leaflet etc, wasn’t even sure they were contesting the seat until I saw the voting slip
Very quiet from Labour despite the fact it used to be a safe seat for them
SNP are pushing for this one but not hard enough to succeed

Generally disappointed in all parties with respect to local F2F communication (only one door knocker in a month), gone are the cars with loudspeakers

Hope the roadside signs disappear as quickly as they appeared

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NikLG 9 1.7k England
6 May 2010 5:44PM
I was going to vote this morning, but as the polling station is open till 10pm, I thought I'd do it tonight.
Now it looks like I'll be in work till late, so I have to decide between voting, or going straight to the pub.
It's a dilemma, I'll tell you....

I must have got at least a dozen Tory leaflets through my door. All stuck in the bin. Nothing from either
of the other main parties.

There was a car with a loudspeaker in town yesterday ( Leamington Spa ) for the local Tory candidate, but
it was playing 'Won't get fooled again' through the speakers....mildly amusing I suppose, but as a Who fan
and Labour supporter I felt a bit sullied...
jonah794 5 1.7k 11 United Kingdom
6 May 2010 5:55PM
Our local seat is a Conservative safe seat - but we do have one Loony guy running and a BNP lady who's standing. She came round to our house once..... Wink
For some strange reason everyone here votes Conservative.... it's just a tradition! However, two local constituencies are labour strongholds. It's confusing Sad
cameracat 10 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
6 May 2010 7:16PM
The way things are heading in the EEC coupled with our own UK finacial situation, I find it strange that any party would want to win.....Sad

I am not a Labour voter, But feel it might be rough justice to vote them back in, Then when the UK goes the same way as " Greece " we can all enjoy a real hung parliament.

Wink
KevSB 10 1.4k 5 United Kingdom
6 May 2010 7:46PM
I noticed a lack of door knockers also this time around, one only and that was during the working day, not disappointed at all, Personally I wonder with all the recent corruption ect If they dare knock on doors with all the abuse they will receive, much easier to meet and greet voters selected by your research teams lol
Graysta 9 1.1k England
6 May 2010 8:48PM

Quote:I have to decide between voting, or going straight to the pub

Go to the pub then vote, you know that with all the P---ed up decisions any of them will make, you made yours first .

Graham Wink
Strobe 7 1.3k United States
6 May 2010 8:57PM
I had a good time with the elections today....

polling-station-.jpg

cambirder 10 7.2k England
6 May 2010 9:10PM

Quote:I find it strange that any party would want to win.....

I suspect their are a lot of them secretly hoping they don't. Under the current conditions its a poisoned chalice, and with global capitalism seriously broken whoever ends up in charge is not exactly going have a lot of room for maneuver, and whatever goes wrong they are going to get the blame.
6 May 2010 10:41PM
No matter what the result, no matter who you support the news tomorrow morning is going to be very bad .

The UK markets are opening at 1am, so expect similar here before you sit down to breakfast tomorrow.
7 May 2010 12:41AM
It seems as though quite a few people were denied the right to vote because the demand for polling slips outstripped supply at some polling stations, others were denied because they went to the polling station last minute and the officers couldn't process the queues quickly enough to beat the 10pm dead line.
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
7 May 2010 12:50AM

Quote:were denied because they went to the polling station last minute
denied doesn't seem quite the right word, when they've had all day to get there
Dave_E 6 125 United Kingdom
7 May 2010 1:08AM
If the reports of 3 hour queues in Sheffield are correct, denied might be exactly the right word.
7 May 2010 1:13AM
I take your point about denied perhaps not being the right word Keith, but polling closed at 10pm so even if they didn't get there till 9.59pm, surely they were entitled to vote.

Doors could have been closed and those inside allowed to vote, perhaps more clarification for polling station peeps for the next election.
7 May 2010 1:55AM

Quote:denied doesn't seem quite the right word, when they've had all day to get there

Not sure about the last minute, it looks like some people turned up early saw large queues and came back later to find the queues were still there.
User_Removed 8 2.1k 7 England
7 May 2010 6:52AM
So, another election in 6 months? When the Conservatives will win properly?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.