Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Electronics Wizard Needed

csurry 12 9.2k 92
1 Aug 2009 10:30AM
Does anyone know which wires need connecting to which part of an RCA adaptor for a Nikon 10-pin to work correctly and trigger the camera.

I have a cable which came with a unit which has stopped working. I can cut open a spare MC-30 I have and I know the ground, metering and shutter release are the only three wires that are used.

Since these wires are white, yellow and purple being the nikon ones and not the same as the one that came with the unit I don't know which need connecting where on the RCA adaptor.

So any electronic whizzes out there?

I can't find any wiring diagrams and have done a number of google searches before posting this in the hope someone had answered this previously here or on another site.

Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry 12 9.2k 92
1 Aug 2009 10:50AM
Just in case some one can tell me what needs soldering where, here is the wire info:

The yellow wire is ground, the white is metering/AF)and the purple is the shutter release.

Thanks
User_Removed 5 694 3 Scotland
1 Aug 2009 2:09PM
Is this link of use ?
csurry 12 9.2k 92
1 Aug 2009 5:17PM
Thanks Pat, but I'd already found that one amongst many others. I just don't know how to translate the information that I have about other connectors and apply it to an RCA plug.
User_Removed 5 694 3 Scotland
1 Aug 2009 7:14PM
As there is no power involved, only switch closure to ground, then just experiment. Easiest one to find will be the shutter release.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
2 Aug 2009 3:26PM
PM in your 'Q' Cheryl.
csurry 12 9.2k 92
2 Aug 2009 3:33PM
Thanks Mike.

Plenty of sites say which cable is which in the Nikon colour scheme and Pat's info whilst helpful is not enough to give me confidence to solder the connections and use with my camera.

I'll email someone tomorrow that should be able to give me a definitive answer, in the meantime as yesterdays shot shows I have found another way to trigger the camera.

Of to do some more drop shots now Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.