Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Elements 10 and missing RAM!

liteman e2
4 29 United Kingdom
27 Jun 2012 6:14PM
I have recently upgraded my PC to Windows 7, 64 Bit and also installed Lightroom 4 and Elements 10. Additionally I have today upped the RAM in the PC from 4GB to 8GB.
Why is it that in Preferences in Elements only 4GB are available? Is it's a case of the program only being able to read 4GB of the RAM as it is a 32 Bit program, is it feasible/OK to increase the memory used to 100%? Will Elements install as 64 Bit, I didn't see an option when I was installing it, but advancing years may have meant that I just missed it? Lightroom sees all 8GB.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
27 Jun 2012 8:36PM
I run Elements on a 64-bit PC with no problem.
Yes, you can increase the memory to whatever you want. If you google 'increase performance of Elements' you will find several sites on what else you can do.
liteman e2
4 29 United Kingdom
27 Jun 2012 11:14PM
It runs quite happily on 64 Bit, its just that it only appears to see 50% of the installed RAM.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
28 Jun 2012 12:01AM
Hi I had a look as I run Elements 10 on 64 bit Win 7. I had a look and the program is in the Program Files (X86) area and that tends to be for 32 bit app's, while my RAW editor is in the Normal Program files area and I remember it had an option to be a 64 bit program. I though the 4G was an OS limitation, but you could be correct. The other test is look into the task manager and check the free RAM. My machine has 6G or RAM and what it indicates as free RAM looks to be about what Elements can see as max RAM.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
28 Jun 2012 12:08AM
A quick google search would look to indicate that unless it re-compiles for the 64 bit system it is limited to 4G RAM.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.