Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Elements

ikett e2
4 372 England
11 Feb 2013 6:11PM
Can someone help? Back in January a thread was posted CS2 for free here I spotted Elements 5, so I downloaded is on the HDD no probs. Problem is I have lost the key (not unusual for me), back tracked to the link and Elements 5 and I think some other stuff has gone.

I thought I would try it with a view to buying version 11, wondering if anybody has the key and could PM it to me, I must get better organised.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
11 Feb 2013 6:30PM
Is it the key to Elements 5 that you're looking for?

Or the free version of CS2?

Of the two; that link takes you directly to it, including the serial, you'd be better of with CS2.
ikett e2
4 372 England
11 Feb 2013 6:36PM
Hi, yes it's the key for Elements, want to get an idea about the software with a view to buying 11, there's no way I could afford CS6, so trying to gauge if Elements would suffice.
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
11 Feb 2013 6:45PM
Have a go at the free trial of Elements 11 then. I think that you get thirty days.

I'd imagine that Elements 5 would be so out of date that you could find a free editor that would out perform it.

Although, having recently tried the trial of Elements 10, I'd rather have CS2 anyway. But I've used CS2, 5 and 6, hence I'm used to Photoshop, so perhaps I'm biased.
ikett e2
4 372 England
11 Feb 2013 7:02PM
Ah didn't know there was a free trial option, I'll look into that thanks, I use DXO for raw conversion, I'm looking for something to apply local mods, dogde and burn etc.

Thanks again.
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
11 Feb 2013 8:41PM
If you're only planning some mild editing, then Elements will probably suffice.
Personally, when I trialed it, I found myself wishing that I was using CS. By comparison, Elements seemed to be underpowered, if that's the right word. I just knew that whatever I tried to do, I could have done more easily and potentially with better results, in CS.
But as I say, I'm possibly biased.
strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2013 9:18PM
I have to argue with the above post in that I have seldom found CS to offer much more for photo editing. Yes it offers a lot more for graphic artists but for photo editing often you are better of concentrating on a good RAW editor and using the GIMP or Elements for any finishing off. Too many time people push the highly expensive CS package, where for many photographers the money would be better spent on photography training, a trip, or new lens.
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
11 Feb 2013 9:30PM

Quote:But as I say, I'm possibly biased.

I'm not pushing CS Alan.

As I say, I've perhaps been spoilt. Having used CS for years, everything else feels like the poor relation.
ikett e2
4 372 England
11 Feb 2013 9:32PM
My thoughts
Quote:I have to argue with the above post in that I have seldom found CS to offer much more for photo editing.

As I said I use DXO for RAW conversion, I find its global correction great for my use, and at a price I'm happy with.

I've been using GIMP but it feels slighlty dated, it's the high cost of ADOBE products that have put me off, I'll try the elements free trial after a few hours on you tube tutorials.
11 Feb 2013 9:32PM
agree with that... (Strawman) Scott Kelby books will show just how much Elements can do...
Number two daughter is a graphic designer and uses full blown PS (and loves "Indesign") but readily admits they're overkill for anything else..
ikett e2
4 372 England
11 Feb 2013 9:36PM
It's stuff on you tube, Elements 5, that piqued my interest.
11 Feb 2013 9:46PM
okay...well I think the only thing to check is whether your particular camera is supported, Adobe tend to "upgrade" this facility until they run out of patience and/or (more likely...) see more money in forcing you to buy the next version...! but I'm sure the "elements" route will suffice..
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2013 8:41AM
If all you want to do is local adjustments I find LightRoom much easier to use and noise reductoin is one of the beston the market. If you need layers to combine and manipulate the image then PSE is what you need.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.