Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Elements 7 v CS2/3 ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    JanieB43
    JanieB43  647 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
    19 May 2009 - 4:28 PM

I have Elements 4.0 and have had some decent pics edited with this software but I'm hankering after something a bit more "professional", I like the options to add filter effects and enhancing the vibrancy of colours/tones in digital editing and Elements 4.0 is pretty naff where this is concerned (unless I'm missing something). CS4 is out of the question because it's too pricey and probably a little over my head anyway ( having said that I'm downloading the trial version of CS4 as we speak ).
    Can anyone out there tell me what the pros n cons are for Elements 7 against the more "up market" CS2/3 ?
    Thanks guys in advance.
    Jane

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    19 May 2009 - 4:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    19 May 2009 - 5:01 PM

Jane

Elements 4 is about as effective for adding filters etc, I suggest you go off to the techniques section and have a look. The one area that I think elements 4 misses is curves, they can help add punch to a photo.

I have avoided this problem by shooting in RAW and using Curves etc in the RAW tools. If you are a Canon user you get this for free with DPP or there are tools like Capture 1 (I use this) or Lightroom. I found using a decent RAW editor gives the best control of colour, especially with White Balance Control, 16 bit curves, and control over saturation. So much better than the RAW converter Elements 4 ships with and a step on from JPEG.

For free you can get the GIMP which offers a lot of editing power for free. Again look to the techniques section where many tutorials are written. Is it as good as CS4, no but its not bad.

In short Elements 7 is optimised for photographers and is made to be flexible and lower cost for the majority of us. CS is made to cover the need of graphic artists, and while it has features that will help advanced photographers, it costs a lot more. But you can do a lot with Elements. So I would say, with some confidence, that few of us need CS.

Last Modified By strawman at 19 May 2009 - 5:03 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    JanieB43
    JanieB43  647 forum posts England6 Constructive Critique Points
    19 May 2009 - 8:02 PM

Thanks Strawman,I'll have a look at what I've already got and certainly have another forage through my canon software - might save me a lot of dosh !!!!
    Jane

steve_p
    steve_p  81094 forum posts England
    19 May 2009 - 8:16 PM

Quote: So I would say, with some confidence, that few of us need CS.

I agree, I have a copy of photoshop 7, which I never use because Elements 6 does everything I need -along with Canon DPP.
    Steve

riprap007
    riprap007  91568 forum posts England37 Constructive Critique Points
    19 May 2009 - 8:24 PM

you can add a curves function in Elements 5 and I think also in 4 too!

elowes
    elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
    19 May 2009 - 8:32 PM

Just got myself Lightroom 2 after much prevarication and procrastination. Together with Elements this is all I seem to need. Try out the trial version of Lightroom.

mrcal
    mrcal  101032 forum posts
    19 May 2009 - 8:35 PM

You can add curves, layer masks, channel mixer and other features to most versions of Elements. I've used Grants Tools on both PSE v2 and PSE v5.

You can also add various colour poppers, framing routines etc. I've used the ones from Coffee Shop. Make sure you get the ones for your version. They can be tricky to install first time; be sure to read all the instructions.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.