Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Elements RAW to Photoshop RAW

ChrisJP 6 811 Wales
15 Jun 2012 1:51PM
I am using Elements 9 and take 90% of images using RAW. I am aware that the version included with Photoshop is more advanced than that supplied with Elements but is it possible to upgrade the Elements 9 version to the Photoshop one?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 10 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2012 2:40PM
If you go to the Adobe web site you can update the RAW engine to the latest version they will support, but the controls will not be the same as the full RAW tool. You could do what a lot of us do, and that is use an external RAW converter that is superior to the Elements one. If you use Canon cameras then DPP is a better RAW converter. It takes time to get used to but it is free and Canon keep on updating and improving it. Or you could upgrade to a better stand alone RAW converter.

I use Capture 1, its pretty good but has a different look and feel to the Adobe one. I also think the RAW engine is better than the one Adobe use. You can still set al of those tools to do the RAW conversion then open Elements with your image waiting for the next stage of editing. You can get Lightroom for RAW editing. It has its fans but it suffers from the Adobe life cycle pricing issue in that Adobe give very few updates for free compared to the competition so its costs more to purchase and you end up spending more on updates also.
ChrisJP 6 811 Wales
15 Jun 2012 3:02PM
Thanks. I do use Canon so have DPP but have never really used it, it doesn't seem as intuitive as Adobe RAW. I was hoping to get the extra controls of the full version. Not in a position to purchase a separate one either. I'll try DPP a bit more maybe I'll get used to it.
Gaucho e2
12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2012 3:15PM
Chris, have a look at Lightroom 4. The price has come down this year and will give you all the raw controls you get in the full blown Photoshop and you'll have Elements if you really need it. I also have Elements 9 but very rarely use it.
User_Removed 4 4.6k 1 Scotland
15 Jun 2012 3:37PM
That's a good suggestion from Gaucho.

Lightroom 4 for your Raw processing and probably 90% of your image enhancements. And a straight link into Element 9 for anything that requires more advanced Photoshop functions such as the use of layers. I use LR 4 with CS5 but I probably rarely use anything in CS5 that is not also available in Elements 9. (In fact, where I can, I prefer to use the various Nik packages with Lightroom, rather than CS5).
ChrisJP 6 811 Wales
15 Jun 2012 4:12PM
Even at the price it is, it's far too much money unfortunately. Don't even know if my ageing computer would cope. I bought Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum for video at a very low price (Around 20) and then found that my computer can't handle it. Doh!!
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
15 Jun 2012 4:18PM
Psst........ upgrade your computer? Wink
Gaucho e2
12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2012 4:21PM
I know what you mean. I had to upgrade my system for LR4 to work satisfactorily. Gets expensive this hobby of ours.
ChrisJP 6 811 Wales
15 Jun 2012 4:31PM
Seems you buy a new camera, that's fine. Then you need a powerful computer and then software then a good printer ( Don't buy the Epson photo PX720WD Sad ), ink, paper, it soon adds up to a hell of a lot of .
And I thought that at least I was saving on buying film and having it processed.
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
15 Jun 2012 5:09PM
Depends whether you print out everything. Apart from enlargements (printed by online services) I haven't printed anything for about 4 years.... certainly not standard sized stuff, or 'enprints' as they used to be known.
15 Jun 2012 5:34PM
Check the Canon web site for the latest DPP version as it improves all the time. Its user interface is different, but once you master it you will find it better than the Elements RAW editor and did I say it was free Smile

If you want to pay a bit more you can get Capture 1, probably the best RAW converter out there and it costs less than the Adobe offering too. It is not as good at cataloguing images as light room but in all the test I have seen it has worked well. But its user interface is different from the Adobe products. Keep an eye out for special offers on magazines or memory cards. I managed to get a copy free that way. Grin
ChrisJP 6 811 Wales
16 Jun 2012 11:08AM
One problem I have with DPP is transferring to Elements for further edit. I have Photoshop 7 on the computer (added by a neighbour who fixed a problem once) and I never use it but can't uninstall it. The only option shown on DPP is transfer to Photoshop.
16 Jun 2012 11:35AM
Sounds like you have not set it up correctly, in DPP click on the Batch process button then at the bottom of the window that turns up there is the image transfer settings. Click on browse and navigate your installed programs till you find Elements and select it. Then if you have checked the "Open image using software" button it will open in your choice of installed photo editor software.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2013 3:26PM
I just saw a possible solution to this. If you know how to edit your registry you can make a fake entry for Photoshop and point towards Elements.

I came across this solution because I didn't want to install 32 Bit Photoshop on new PC only 64 Bit Version and "transfer to Photoshop" in DPP wouldn't work til I did this

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.