Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

eliminating shake

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
dangertaylor
31 May 2012 - 6:20 PM

recently i've been noticing that i am very shaky (it could be for a number of medical reasons, i havent thought too much of it), it's been affecting my photography and i was wondering if anybody has any tips for this.. aside from the obvious "use a tripod".
ive tried to steady my arms using a chair/table/wall, etc, and ive tried changing how i hold my camera, but that doesnt seem to help either.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 May 2012 - 6:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2012 - 6:23 PM

Do you use stabilised lenses?

dangertaylor
31 May 2012 - 6:25 PM

yes, i do.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53587 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2012 - 6:27 PM

Quote: Recently i've been noticing that i am very shaky (it could be for a number of medical reasons, i havent thought too much of it),

Well i'd say first sort yourself out, go see a doctor today as it may be a simple cure that is better done now.
Then consider tripods, video SLR mounting arms, bean bags, even a heavier camera. As well as holding the camera under the lens etc. Of course just upping the shutter speed may be enough to hide the shake, or using a VR lens.
But see the Doc first!
Good luck
Stuart

dangertaylor
31 May 2012 - 6:29 PM

ive been seeing my doctor regularly. its likely due to a medication, but since i only notice the shake when i am trying not to shake, and its only my hands, we havent thought too much of it.
ive also tried all of that, thanks though!

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53587 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2012 - 6:34 PM

Glad you are seeing a Doc Smile i missed this.
Professional marksmen & rifle women almost stop their breathing and reduce their heartbeat when shooting targets, could some form of relaxation therapy help you as well?

dangertaylor
31 May 2012 - 6:37 PM

ive tried whats called box breathing (reduces your breathing and heart rate), it seems to be the most help, but doesnt help enough.
generally what i end up doing is taking quite a few pictures until i get one with the right focus, which works, but could seems a little redundant.. or just using my tripod
im thinking maybe a battery grip would help?

JackAllTog
31 May 2012 - 6:40 PM

Sounds good, i have heard of extra weight/grip helping.

I also wonder if the VR is still working OK, and whether you can borrow a few other bodies/lenses to try them out for weight and balance etc.

dangertaylor
31 May 2012 - 6:43 PM

i know the vr on the nikon lens ive got works well, i think its a combination of me, and a light lens.
i would like to get my hands on a d300 regardless though, im thinking of switching from the d90 body to it. ive used one at the studio i was working at and had no issues there.. but it also had a remote and flash connected via an arm, as well as a heavy lens, camera armour, etc to weigh it down, and this was a while ago.

puertouk
puertouk  21068 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
31 May 2012 - 7:34 PM

Try a mono tripod, much more versatile and easier to carry
Stephen

dangertaylor
31 May 2012 - 7:35 PM

ive done that as well, it does help, but not nearly as much as the tripod does, unfortunately

Dvaid
Dvaid  5169 forum posts United Kingdom
31 May 2012 - 8:03 PM

I use a monopod to help.

Ive also seen advice somewhere that when using a tripod to turn OFF the IS. I don't understand why that is but its worth a try.

I have also seen but not used some folk using what I can only describe as a chest holster to help steady the weight of their cameras.

If all else fails use a relaxant, whisky works well.

David

dangertaylor
31 May 2012 - 8:08 PM

haha whisky it is Grin

thanks for the tips. ive tried adjusting the length of my strap to use it as a bit of stabilization, that also helps.. but its damn hard to focus when im trying to keep tension between the strap, the camera, and my neck Tongue

luckily theres no problem when i use a tripod, but maybe turning off is while shooting would somehow help, ill have to try it

Cephus
Cephus  92127 forum posts England
31 May 2012 - 9:09 PM

How to use a monopod correctly

dangertaylor
31 May 2012 - 9:13 PM

haha don't worry, i'm using it properly Tongue

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.