Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Email Notifications

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Jaydee007
Jaydee007  634 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2012 - 8:45 AM

Once again I find myself posting on here about problems caused by Epz updates, having screwed up my account notifications yet again. I have followed the report procedure but as is the way with ALL IT depts its everybodies elses fault and not theres. They are blaming AOL for the problem but I've gone to the trouble of opening a new email account through virginmedia and the problem is still there. Now waiting for monday morning when I will get the usual bullshit that its now virgins fault and not theres. I've worked with IT depts for many years and I know from bitter experience that they work on the suck it and see method of fixing problems. Lets have some honesty and admit you don't know what is causing the problem instead of blaming everyone else and putting us who pay for this crap service (at times) to extra hassle and for F**ks Sake stop messing with the systems and remember the old adage if it ain't broke dont mess with it Sad. In all honesty I wouldn't use the service if it didn't come as part of the package with my website

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Mar 2012 - 8:45 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread
Overread  63806 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2012 - 9:31 AM

*wonders what the problem is* I mean specifically speaking what is happening with the notifications?

Jaydee007
11 Mar 2012 - 9:52 AM

Sorry should have been more specific but the notifications all get delivered after midnight when the systems obviously at it's quietest and it can finally find the time to sort itself out and send me mine it's a bugger if you're watching a forum thread today it's a bit better Grin. This is the second time in a few months I've had the same problem.

Overread
11 Mar 2012 - 9:56 AM

To be fair if I'm watching a thread - I watch the thread not my emails Wink
At least they are getting through and not being blocked by ad-spam protection or the like. As for sending them out it could well be that something at your end is bottlenecking the emails as opposed to the EPZ end - esp since its not happening to everyone (I assume). That said if its a once in a while thing it could just be some update at EPZ end once every few months and everyone gets hit.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2012 - 10:10 AM

Why not switch to pm notifications - they are immediate.

Jaydee007
11 Mar 2012 - 10:25 AM

I know its not my spam blocker that was the first thing they tried to blame, AOL works well on that I don't know about my new one yet but have checked and they're not being blocked. I don't have time to just sit and watch threads and rely on email notifications of members comments (Sorry I'm old skool that believes I shouldn't have to put myself out because a service I pay for ain't working properly. I'd much rather give the IT or whoever it might be both barrels and if not satisfied tell them where to stick it). The big clue to me is that they are all getting delivered in the middle of the night which hints to me that there is a bottle neck somewhere. As for lobsterboys suggestion why should I switch because the system ain't working correctly I have some control of emails.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2012 - 10:29 AM

Quote: As for lobsterboys suggestion why should I switch because the system ain't working correctly I have some control of emails.

Only trying to help. Sad
No one else has reported any problems with notifications for at least 3 months.

Jaydee007
11 Mar 2012 - 10:37 AM

That comment is almost accusing me of making it up. There is a problem with the email notification system. For some reason most of mine are getting delivered in the middle of the night and not as members either vote or comment on my postings because no one else has reported a problem doesn't mean it aint happening to me, they're probably all using pm notifications Smile

779HOB
779HOB  21027 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Mar 2012 - 10:38 AM

My email notifications come through pretty much as soon as a thread is updated. I'm using gmail with Virgin as the ISP.

779HOB
11 Mar 2012 - 10:47 AM

See this one just popped in:

ePHOTOzine donotreply@ephotozine.com
10:46 (0 minutes ago)

to hobbs
Hi Andrew Hobbs,

There has been an update on Forum Topic: Will Public Buzz change ePz's Forum?. Click the link below to view the update:

http://www.ephotozine.com/notify-reset-nid-1040821-u187013 If you wish to see the last posts you can view them here: http://www.ephotozine.com/notify-reset-nid-1040821-u187013-p2-c2236606

IMPORTANT!
You will not receive another notifications for Forum Topic: Will Public Buzz change ePz's Forum? unless your click the link above. To reset your alert, click the link above. To remove the alert, click the link above and then click on 'Remove Notification'.

Kind Regards,
The ePHOTOzine Team

Magezine Publishing Limited is registered in England and Wales as a limited company. Registered Number: 5218362. VAT registration Number: 845 6759 78. Registered Office: The Turbine, Shireoaks Triangle Business Park, Coach Close, Shireoaks, Nottinghamshire, S81 8AP.

Overread
11 Mar 2012 - 10:53 AM

Quote: That comment is almost accusing me of making it up.

Not really - its more that its a more local problem affecting a smaller proportion of the user base (a number which might be 1 - you - or might be more - it might also be affecting users of a certain kind of which you are the only one/one of few and thus the limited number of reports).

As for IT repair - its generally a case of working through all the common problems and ticking them off the list one by one to find out what is really happening.

Jaydee007
11 Mar 2012 - 11:00 AM

Sure Andrew I know what they look like when I get them. The problem today and of late has been more with votes and comments on photos I post I am receiving notifications of postings in the forums but not on my photos the last 3 votes have not been notified yet the first 2 or 3 votes were notified which tells me the set notifications was working then stopped or they are held up somewhere in the system and I can look foward to reading them in the middle of the night again when they are finally delivered

779HOB
11 Mar 2012 - 11:02 AM

Quote: I am receiving notifications of postings in the forums but not on my photos

Oh ok, sorry I didn't understand it was on your photo votes. I can't say if that's working or not, don't get any votes!

miptog
miptog  93532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
11 Mar 2012 - 11:37 AM

Had a vote on a photo at 12:55am, and was notified via BUZZ at 11:00am ish

Jaydee007
11 Mar 2012 - 11:43 AM

Well thats not bad 10 hours for delivery must have been Royal Mail LOL but of course there isn't a problem and i'm still imagining it Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.