Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Emount Lenses on A7 Sony

23 Aug 2014 12:25AM
I am considering moving to new Sony A7
Could I use e Mount lenses on A7
I have been using NEX7 and NEX 5n with various lenses 18-55 , 55 200, 186mm and 35mm macro

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rogerfry e2
9 509 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2014 7:58AM
Yes, you can use them, but you will get strong vignetting as the lenses are not designed to cover a full frame sensor. The A7 has a crop mode which only uses part of the sensor, and gives a reduced megapixel image.
I suggest you read THIS REVIEW by Josh which gives more info.
23 Aug 2014 2:42PM
The future of photography is full frame, Sony EF lenses are superb. They are also cheaper, smaller and lighter than A mount.
If you could run to it, the A7R at 36mp gives better image detail. Manage with your E lenses, and try to build up possession of some EF lenses.
The A7 range is dominating the smaller camera market, and is used by many commercial photographers.
24 Aug 2014 8:52PM

Quote:The future of photography is full frame,

Are you sure?
Crop sensor traditional DSLR still outsell 24x36 by 4 to 1 on body numbers, and 4/3 formats significantly outsell 24x36.
With high end 24x36 now coming under attack from medium format CMOS sensors as well; and sales being a big influencer on what gets made I see 24x36 continuing but see it as a relatively minor player in the overall future of photography.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.