Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Engineered Wood Flooring - Advice please

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Taxboy
    Taxboy  12197 forum posts
    5 Nov 2012 - 6:55 PM

Having done some online research I think we will be fitting a new engineered wood floor into the kitchen and dining room. Can anyone in the trade recommend any make / or minimum specification to look out for please. I'm guessing you generally get what you pay for but at what point do you get into the law of diminishing returns ?

Any advice much appreciated

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Nov 2012 - 6:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Craggwildlife
    Craggwildlife e2 Member 572 forum postsCraggwildlife vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Nov 2012 - 9:45 PM

go for the clik together.. regarding the wood just a point to remember that an engineered wood floor will show the marks far more than an laminate floor ..high heels etc:

if you go for laminate use uniclik quickstep they do a very wide range now of different designs and colours. easy to fit..

David ( floorlayer)

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Nov 2012 - 8:47 AM

If you decide to go for laminate be aware that, although hard wearing re heels etc, it is relatively easily destroyed by water leaks, which cause it to swell like chipboard.

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
    6 Nov 2012 - 9:21 AM

And also falling 10" chef's knives....

Craggwildlife
    Craggwildlife e2 Member 572 forum postsCraggwildlife vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Nov 2012 - 12:52 PM

Quote: If you decide to go for laminate be aware that, although hard wearing re heels etc, it is relatively easily destroyed by water leaks, which cause it to swell like chipboard.

engineered wood will do the same .. all wood products DO NOT LIKE WATER ..but if looked after properly you will have no problems..

dlp

Craggwildlife
    6 Nov 2012 - 1:03 PM

from a fitters point of view (also the companys) we find the HARO engineered wood excellent also easy to fit ,, its 13mm thick and you would have 2mm underlay

hope this is helpfull

dlp (david)

Last Modified By Craggwildlife at 6 Nov 2012 - 1:07 PM
    digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Nov 2012 - 2:51 PM

Quote: all wood products DO NOT LIKE WATER

Wooden floorboards don't mind, as witnessed by the millions who used to get down on their knees and scrub the floors with soap and water. Wink

Seriously I would have expected engineered wood to be much less prone to swelling due to the lack of fibreboard in the production. There again I am not a flooring expert so will bow to the greater knowledge of you who are. Grin

indemnity
    indemnity  5328 forum posts
    6 Nov 2012 - 3:45 PM

You might want to consider Karndean, Project or Amtico, almost limitless options in design/style. When fitted correctly it looks stunning, hardwearing, easy to refinish and planks may be individually replaced if damaged. However, this can be a costly installation.

Taxboy
    Taxboy  12197 forum posts
    6 Nov 2012 - 6:31 PM

Quote: You might want to consider Karndean, Project or Amtico, almost limitless options in design/style. When fitted correctly it looks stunning, hardwearing, easy to refinish and planks may be individually replaced if damaged. However, this can be a costly installation.

I'll have a look as I hadn't considered a vinyl - just need to see if I like the look. I have previously been put off cheap laminate as I just didn't like the look. It was only that saw some engineered wood floor in a kitchen showroom that got me thinking and doing some online research

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 104009 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Nov 2012 - 8:17 PM

we had Karndean in our hall for many years...super product. We have moved house since and now have a heavy duty grade laminate over most of the ground floor. It's industrial strength, really hard wearing and easy to clean....unfortunately I can't recall the name but it's a German or Scandinavian made product. If I can find the name will update. Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.