Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Engineered Wood Flooring - Advice please

Taxboy 12 199
5 Nov 2012 6:55PM
Having done some online research I think we will be fitting a new engineered wood floor into the kitchen and dining room. Can anyone in the trade recommend any make / or minimum specification to look out for please. I'm guessing you generally get what you pay for but at what point do you get into the law of diminishing returns ?

Any advice much appreciated

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

5 Nov 2012 9:45PM
go for the clik together.. regarding the wood just a point to remember that an engineered wood floor will show the marks far more than an laminate floor ..high heels etc:

if you go for laminate use uniclik quickstep they do a very wide range now of different designs and colours. easy to fit..

David ( floorlayer)
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2012 8:47AM
If you decide to go for laminate be aware that, although hard wearing re heels etc, it is relatively easily destroyed by water leaks, which cause it to swell like chipboard.
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
6 Nov 2012 9:21AM
And also falling 10" chef's knives....
6 Nov 2012 12:52PM

Quote:If you decide to go for laminate be aware that, although hard wearing re heels etc, it is relatively easily destroyed by water leaks, which cause it to swell like chipboard.

engineered wood will do the same .. all wood products DO NOT LIKE WATER ..but if looked after properly you will have no problems..

dlp
6 Nov 2012 1:03PM
from a fitters point of view (also the companys) we find the HARO engineered wood excellent also easy to fit ,, its 13mm thick and you would have 2mm underlay

hope this is helpfull

dlp (david)
digicammad 11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
6 Nov 2012 2:51PM

Quote:all wood products DO NOT LIKE WATER

Wooden floorboards don't mind, as witnessed by the millions who used to get down on their knees and scrub the floors with soap and water. Wink

Seriously I would have expected engineered wood to be much less prone to swelling due to the lack of fibreboard in the production. There again I am not a flooring expert so will bow to the greater knowledge of you who are. Grin
indemnity 6 331
6 Nov 2012 3:45PM
You might want to consider Karndean, Project or Amtico, almost limitless options in design/style. When fitted correctly it looks stunning, hardwearing, easy to refinish and planks may be individually replaced if damaged. However, this can be a costly installation.
Taxboy 12 199
6 Nov 2012 6:31PM

Quote:You might want to consider Karndean, Project or Amtico, almost limitless options in design/style. When fitted correctly it looks stunning, hardwearing, easy to refinish and planks may be individually replaced if damaged. However, this can be a costly installation.

I'll have a look as I hadn't considered a vinyl - just need to see if I like the look. I have previously been put off cheap laminate as I just didn't like the look. It was only that saw some engineered wood floor in a kitchen showroom that got me thinking and doing some online research
cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
6 Nov 2012 8:17PM
we had Karndean in our hall for many years...super product. We have moved house since and now have a heavy duty grade laminate over most of the ground floor. It's industrial strength, really hard wearing and easy to clean....unfortunately I can't recall the name but it's a German or Scandinavian made product. If I can find the name will update. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.