Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

EOS 20D

jembo 10 104 United Kingdom
27 Nov 2004 3:06AM
I have read the reviews of the Canon EOS 20D and it all looks positive.
Has anyone here got one?
What size pics can you enlarge to before it gets pixelly on the best quality setting?
Is it an easy camera to get to grips with for someone familiar with manual cameras?
What are your experiences?
Are there any negatives that the wow reviews don't mention?
Has anyone used one in a studio set up with flash lisght?

Cheers all.

Jembo

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

vfr400 12 886
27 Nov 2004 3:16PM
Ive had mine nearly 2 weeks now, fantastic image quality and fast auto_focus. It's the first DSLR I've owned and the first Canon. All the controls fall neatly to hand and it's easy and simple to adjust on the go. The quality at 800 ASA is better than my fuji S602z at 160 ASA and that was good! The only negative I can find is that the set ISO is not displayed until you try to change it.

chris
Little Jo e2
13 2.3k United Kingdom
28 Nov 2004 3:09AM
Hi Jembo

I've had a 20D since 17th September and I've been well impressed with its performance. I also have an EOS 3 and find it a very nice camera to use compared to my pro spec film camera. Build quality is excellent and as Chris has already said, it's a top notch camera.

It's ability to capture fine detail is great as is the handling - it doesn't give you constant reminders that you're using a digital in terms of busy warnings or lag times. It's fast, accurate and flexible. You can take control of as much of the picture taking as you want as it has all the manual overrides you could want. You won't have any problems adapting to the 20D.

Battery life is good too. If you connect the camera directly to your computer, download is via USB2.0, so it's fast.

Go for it - you won't regret it.

Jo
Carabosse e2
11 39.5k 269 England
28 Nov 2004 3:32AM
I've owned my 20D for a couple of months now. I also owned Canon 35mm SLRs until quite recently.

I would say - without a shadow of doubt - that the 20D's output quality is beyond anything my film SLRs could produce. Hope that helps!
collywobles 10 3.3k 9 United Kingdom
28 Nov 2004 4:02AM
Think I agree CB.
park my ferret 10 1.0k United Kingdom
28 Nov 2004 4:55AM
I've had one a couple of months now - it's sh*t!! ... only joking, I was worried at first but I was comparing it to my 1Ds (with better lenses on) ... if I put the good lenses on the 20D it performs well - I think thats the key - with 6m pixel cams the quality isn't quite enough to show too much difference between bad and good glass, but with the extra res you really start to notice the jump in quality when using better lenses.
Obviously speed and handling and iso noise are good, haven't used it with studio system yet cos I tend to use the 1Ds for that stuff, but I'm sure its good.
I mostly use mine for club and social work, the only portrait I have with it is of DJ Sandy Riviera ( http://www.ephotozine.com/gallery/showlargepic.cfm?photoid=165792 )in my portfolio. it was taken handheld at night on a second or so exposure at about iso 400, and fill in flash.
jembo 10 104 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2004 10:35AM
Cheers all.
Have ordered one through www.ebuyer.com and it should be arriving tomorrow.
I'm just wondering if the quality will be able to match that of the Bronica ETRSi.
I developed some 35mm Ilford Delta 100 last week with Perceptol developer (fine grain) and compared to my 645 negs it looked sooo grainy. I suppose it depends what you are used to.
Will have to charge the battrey up and have a play tomorrow night.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.