Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

eos 300d windows 7 won't talk

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
dangermouse1968

I'm getting really fed up now!

I have no software for my 300d (last time I buy anything off the wife!!) and a new pc with windows 7. When I plug the camera into the pc it does not see it. I've been on the canon website but have not got a clue what to download. Could somebody please direct me to the driver I need????

Cheers,

David

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Dec 2009 - 8:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
10 Dec 2009 - 8:50 PM

If you just want to copy the files from the camera just get to card reader.

dangermouse1968

I could do that but it will cost me time and money. Neither of which I want to spend. So, which free download do I need.....

cambirder
10 Dec 2009 - 9:01 PM

It will cost you no more than a tenner. As far as know there is no free download there should have been CD with the appropriate software with the camera, and if you wife replaced the 300D with another Canon there should a copy with that as well.

dangermouse1968

ok, thanks. Might be a bit difficult to get the disk. Maybe I'll have to reconsider the card reader. If only I could afford that 40d I wish for.....

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2009 - 9:05 PM

There is no Windows 7 driver for the 300D due to its age I would guess. If you go to the cannon sit, click support, click on software and drivers, pick the 300D you get to a list of software for the 300D. To be nice here it is

You can see a long list of software, if you select windows 7 you get no replies. The best is to download the Vista version. You want EOS utility, but to my knowledge you need to have loaded the version that came with the camera first. Oh and you need the WIA driver too.

But save all the hassle get a simple card reader they are only @ 5 as the 300D is a pig slow file loader. I know I used to have one.

Last Modified By strawman at 10 Dec 2009 - 9:08 PM
dangermouse1968

Thanks Strawman. That's where I'd been and thought I must be in the wrong place because there were no matches for 300d and W7.

karl
karl Site Moderator 10572 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Dec 2009 - 2:34 PM

Card reader is the best bet - any time it costs you to buy one will be more than saved in copying the files over, the 300D is USB 1 so copies at the most 1.2MB/s from memory, get a USB2 card reader and you'll copy as fast as your CF cards allow - which will easily be more than 1.2MB/s (The 300D doesn't copy at 1.2MB/s from experience).

monpetitjules

Just change the camera's USB connection mode (menu > params 2 > communication):
choose "Print/PTP" instead of "PC".

Hope it helps.

spuduka
spuduka  330 forum posts
5 Sep 2010 - 11:13 AM

Got the same problem with my 350D, I just bought a card reader .
There you are http://www.amazon.co.uk/CF-Compact-Reader-Digital-Cameras/dp/B002Z5T176/ref=sr_1... tad over 2 quid plus postage and you can't afford that. Wink

ablast
ablast  5 Australia
2 Nov 2010 - 8:31 AM

Looks like we all have the same problem. I have a 10D, 350D and a film eos 5. I have been on the Microsoft site, the canon site and every site that even remotely suggested a solution. I have even downloaded goodies that claimed to solve the problem and spent days searching the web for a solution. Canon and Microsoft claim they are working on a solution. I would have thought it incumbent on cannon to have had a little forethought in regard to this. From my point of view it may be the deciding point whether or not to buy canon in the near future. I have stayed with canon over the years mostly due to the expense in changing all lenses and accessories.

I too have bought a card reader to overcome this inconvienience. I would have prefered at least a coment on the canon site so I didn't have to waste my time trying to find a solution to a problem that does not have a solution. For windows 7 the canon site simply states "Drivers and software are not available for this model". . Not a happy camper after spending thousands on a new computer and asociated software.

Photogeek
Photogeek  8605 forum posts Wales6 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2010 - 9:03 AM

Quote: Canon and Microsoft claim they are working on a solution. I would have thought it incumbent on cannon to have had a little forethought in regard to this

What! Have you any idea just how many device drivers and utilities would have to be rewritten to support very piece of hardware that may be in use, whenever Microsoft bring out a new version of the operating system!! . . . And then you have to get Microsoft to certify it as 'working with Windows??) . . . and then add that development cost onto every new product they sell . . . or make you pay for it rather than a free update.
While I have some sympathy (I've got old hardaware I can no longer use . . . Why did hardware manufacturers do away with ISA Slots? How inconsiderate of them to move to PCI, which is faster ) There does have to come a point at which they say we can no longer support model X on new OS . . . AT that point you have a choice upgrade the hardware . . . or dual boot a PC into an OS that the hardware is supported. Which is what I had been doing with my Sony DV Camcorder . . . but found out recently that the device drivers are built in to the Windows 7 Firewire support (Rather than USB) so a 3.99 cable and everything is sorted and hunky dory.

cambirder
2 Nov 2010 - 9:14 AM

Quote: Not a happy camper after spending thousands on a new computer and asociated software.

One quick search and you would have found the simple solution. Why piss around with trying 2 incompatible items to work when a simple cheap card reader was all you needed?

strawman
strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
2 Nov 2010 - 9:32 AM

To be honest the 10D and 300D have limited functionality when connected to a computer and are dog slow, so the card reader is an effective solution (I even started using on with Xp and a 300D the camera was that slow). Also if you have a computer new enough to run windows7 what is the price of a card reader, under 10, so is it not more cost effective to buy a card reader and trivial compared to the cost of the computer. If the computer cost thousands what is 10 for a card reader? . I have a scanner that was left behind in the upgrade from Xp, you will find it common as there is the question of for how long do the manufacturers have to support obsolete products for new versions.

I would be surprised if any of the cameras from that era work on Windows 7. My 1st digital camera communicated on a serial port, now find one of those in a modern computer. D ocameras like the D70 and D100 work on Windows 7 as well?

What is more important is they retain capability to extract RAW files or convert them to a new standard, that would be my fear with a 300D/10D.

Last Modified By strawman at 2 Nov 2010 - 9:33 AM
karl
karl Site Moderator 10572 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Nov 2010 - 9:32 AM

I can see your point about being annoyed at Canon - they are pretty shoddy when it comes to software/driver support for their cameras unfortunately - they still haven't got 64bit support for their RAW codec from memory yet Sad 64bit has only been around for what, 5 years now? It is a bit unreasonable to expect them to support every bit of old hardware on very new operating system though - although if they'd designed things right from the off then it should be a fairly simple job to do in the grand scheme of things.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.