Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Eos 30d flash compatability

NedC 7 8
26 Jan 2008 12:14PM
I have a flash gun that i used with my old eos 300. It doesn't work with the 30D and I'm struggling to find data on whether its the 30D thats not working or just not compatable. (The flash still works with the eos 300)

Anu suggestions. Thanks

Ned

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder 10 7.2k England
26 Jan 2008 12:23PM
It is highly unlikely to be compatible, and could even damage the 30D.

What unit is it?
NedC 7 8
26 Jan 2008 12:47PM
Its a Sunpak power zoom 4000AF.

Thanks for the assistance.

Ned
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
26 Jan 2008 12:52PM
dont think it is compatible with canon 20D.
I bought a sunpak 2 years ago after reading all the good review, but unfortunately it wasn't compatible with my 20D.
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2008 7:47PM
It needs to be an ETTL flash gun to work with the digital cameras. In canon terms that means it has an EX in its name.

On ETTL cameras the gun flashes a little bit of light just before the mirror lifts to measure the power required, and then sets the flash duration.

Fitting a non ETTL gun with either result in the gun being set to maximum, or firing all its energy at the mirror lift event.
whippetrider 11 465
27 Jan 2008 10:14AM

Quote:Its a Sunpak power zoom 4000AF.

Sorry, this will not work fully with the 30D as it is not ETTL capable. It will work OK without damaging the camera but in manual mode only. I had one of these with my EOS3 and 50E but sold it for a 550EX when I went digital.

Jeff

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.