Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

EOS 60D or EOS 7D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Aandark
    Aandark  2 United States
    29 Jan 2012 - 1:34 AM

I'm converting from Film to digital photography as a hobby. I'm buying my first digital camera and I can't decide between the 60D or the 7D. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Jan 2012 - 1:34 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

nordin
    nordin  2 Malaysia
    29 Jan 2012 - 5:32 AM

may be this link can help you.. http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_60D-vs-Canon_EOS_7D

GlennH
    GlennH  91894 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jan 2012 - 8:22 AM

This is a "six of one and half a dozen of the other" decision, and hinges really upon what type of photography you do. I own the 60D, and it has the best LCD I've ever seen on a DSLR—almost too good as it tends to make even the most mundane picture look appealing. If you want to experience the joys of the 'instant fix' in digital photography, there may be no better camera. The fact that it flips out as well makes the 60D great for candid pictures and shooting at difficult angles.

The faster focusing of the 7D makes it a better choice for any type of action photography, plus it is weather sealed, has a 100% viewfinder, and micro-adjustment, which is a useful modern feature helpful in correcting focusing inaccuracies with very fast lenses (inherently more of a pronouunced problem on full-frame cameras).

Last Modified By GlennH at 29 Jan 2012 - 8:23 AM
    ianrobinson
    ianrobinson e2 Member 41107 forum postsianrobinson vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jan 2012 - 11:16 AM

7d all the way...Wink

mohikan22
    mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jan 2012 - 11:23 AM

7D all the way too Grin

sut68
    sut68  101994 forum posts England76 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jan 2012 - 11:25 AM

Tough one to call, what is your typical subject for photography? If it's birds in flight, sports or generally capturing anything moving at speed then you'll benefit from the faster focus and frame rate of the 7D. Otherwise, I would suggest the 60D and use the saving to put toward second battery and some better glass!!! Why not head to a camera store and see if you can try them both out ... then go and buy them cheaper online Grin

Last Modified By sut68 at 29 Jan 2012 - 11:25 AM
    brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110181 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Jan 2012 - 11:39 AM

I've just made the transition from 7D to 60D (as part of a transition to 5Dmk2 + 60D) and whilst the 7D undoubtly has the more effective AF system (albeit quite complex to set up for the best results) and has a significantly higher frame rate I am finding the 60D is a suprisingly competent tool for shooting birds in flight and sports / action work.

The upsides I find are its a bit lighter to handle, the grip / size suits my hands better and I like the swivel LCD for low-level work (particularly as I have knackered knees and can't get down so easily any more)

Downsides (for me) are that it isn't as fast / accurate for those moments when you are pushing the boundaries with birds in flight and it uses SD cards (I find them a bit small to handle)

I support the suggestion that you get hands-on with both bodies to see which works best for you. The good news is that they are both excellent tools and are capable of first rate results

mikehit
    mikehit  46187 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jan 2012 - 10:24 AM

I agree and in fact I would throw the 600D into the mix. All three models have the same sensor and processing engine, though the 600D is said to be better than the 60D/7D for noise control given that the software is 2 years newer.

My wife has the 600D and picture wise it is every bit as competent as the 7D except for the AF. However, the AF on the 600D is apparently the same as on the 30D which is my second body and I have had some very good bird in flight shots with that when partnered with the 100-400L. I would expect the 60D to be better still.
    If I am not shooting wildlife I sometimes wonder why I am lugging around the weight of the 7D, and whe I get down low to do macro shots outdoors I really wish the 7D had a movable LCD (which the 60D also has).

I think it all comes down to four things: price; body size compared to the film camera you are currently using (if the new camera is too big it may deter you taking it out on the spur of the moment); intended use; and ergonomics - I prefer the size of the 60D/7D and I prefer the fact they use dual wheels instead of buttons.

GlennH
    30 Jan 2012 - 1:24 PM

Quote: My wife has the 600D and picture wise it is every bit as competent as the 7D except for the AF.

I'm sure that's true, but the 600D has a darker pentamirror viewfinder and vastly inferior battery life - particularly to the 60D.

As arbitrary as it is, both the 7D and 60D are advertised as pro bodies by Canon in some places [the 60D is on the bottom rung of that ladder], which of course is meaningless in almost every respect except that some of the features may occasionally make a difference between getting and missing a picture.

Personally I prefer the image quality from my older, higher-end camera bodies, even though they're a royal PITA for dust. A secondhand 5D can be had for less than a 60D.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53540 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Jan 2012 - 1:57 PM

If money not the issue, and a flip screen not useful then the 7D.
    For me I chose the 60D and spent the difference for a canon speedlite as the old flash was incompatible.

Now i'm used to the 60D 2nd rear dial and LCD screen i'd hate to go back to the 400D i had without these. But until then i'd not missed them so the 600D is worth considering too.

GlennH
    30 Jan 2012 - 2:09 PM

Incidentally I find Live AF mode in the 60D insanely unreliable for accurate Live View focusing, meaning I have to default to the noisier Quick AF mode, which is less than ideal when trying to sneak candid photos. The flip-screen was a big attraction for me having previously used the Sony R1.

User_Removed
    5 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

I have been looking at a 60D and a 7D and for me the decider is the articulated screen of the 60D that allow photos to be taken from difficult angles which makes all the difference in a wheelchair.

camshaft
    camshaft  2
    5 May 2012 - 1:44 PM

A couple of years ago I bought a 7D and struggled with the focussing (It was my first DSLR after years of film). I took it back and got a 60D. I loved the 60D and the articulating screen is a joy, especially if you suffer from a bad back! I captured some lovely candid street photos using the screen with the camera in quick focus mode. Because live view is normally contrast focus I found that frustratingly slow.

The video capability is better than the 7D as well.

I sold my 60D on a whim to go over to Pentax and within 2 months regretted it. I sold the Pentax gear and have just bought another Canon 60D. That's how much I liked it.

It's also lighter than the 7D but heavy enough to "feel" like a proper camera.

SlowSong
    SlowSong e2 Member 54231 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
    5 May 2012 - 5:53 PM

Thanks for this thread. It prompted me to try something out on the 60D (quick AF) that I haven't used yet and found I couldn't make it work. By then looking on YouTube I found a really excellent tutorial. The instruction booklets often leave out a small but vital piece of information.

Last Modified By SlowSong at 5 May 2012 - 5:53 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.