Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

EOS 60D VS 550D

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ricrhys
    ricrhys  10
    28 Apr 2013 - 5:34 PM

I USED TO HAVE A 40D a couple of days back, I'm after buying a new canon but not sure which one to go for, these seem to be the two I like the look of, can someone explain the main differences, I liked the big size of the 40D but I'm constantly traveling now due to my job, so the smaller 550 would be better in that respect. What will be the difference in image quality? the other obvious factor is the price. Any advice greatly appreciated
    ta.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Apr 2013 - 5:34 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

redsnappa
    redsnappa  121936 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Apr 2013 - 7:28 PM

Both 60D and 550D use the same imaging sensor so image quality should be very similar

duratorque
    duratorque  11413 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Apr 2013 - 7:48 PM

Image quality will be the same. 60D has more direct controls and a little larger. ISO canon be set in 1/3 stops which can much more adjustable. With the 550D, ISO can only be set in 1 stop increment. Buffer is a little small for sports. I used a 550D for a couple years and found it be be a great camera. I bought a third party battery grip for those times I want a larger camera and leave it off when I want a smaller package for travel & holidays. I generally want a small and light camera.

llareggub
    llareggub  4733 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Apr 2013 - 8:05 PM

I guess it will come down to feature set and ergonomics, any space savings you will get from your body could easily be offset by the need to carry lenses. If you are a user of a small general purpose lens then space saving could be a factor but if you regularly pack a general walk around lens and a longer telephoto then the smaller form factor of the 550D will be almost negligible Smile

As people say image quality will be very similar and not really a massive factor, so you pays your money and qou take your chioice, both will be capable of taking fantastic pictures!

steve_p
    steve_p  91099 forum posts England
    28 Apr 2013 - 9:29 PM

My experience is that should you go for the 550d,after using a 40D, you will find the ergonomics inferior.
    I had a 600d for six months but sold it, because of the handling, in favour of a 60D.

mikehit
    mikehit  56748 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2013 - 10:49 PM

Quote: you will find the ergonomics inferior

Different, not inferior - it is down to preference rather than quality. If you really like the dual wheel controls then the 550D and related models will be frustrating.
    I prefer the xxD design but having used my wife's 600D I would quite happily have one as a second camera if that was the best option. As it happens I have gone to the MFTs for precisely that reason - I wanted compact and my Panasonic GX1 fits the bill excellently, especially when travelling on business. And the noise control is between 1 and 2 stops better than my 7D (same sensor as the 550D). If i were you I would give MFTs serious thought.

MichaelMelb_AU
    29 Apr 2013 - 11:03 AM

I upgraded to 550D from 10D with strong intention to get rid of 10D as soon as I get comfortable with the new camera. That did not happen - 550D is just in different league quality and ergonomics - wise. But true, it is smaller and lighter. Now I keep both of them - which seems to be a bit excessive, but I simply like both - every camera for it's own. 10D for bulletproof build quality and semi-professional ergonomics, and 550D - for lightness and versatility. Having said that - if you are getting rid of 40D - buy 60D. Better be safe than sorry Wink

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 29 Apr 2013 - 11:16 AM
    samueldilworth
    29 Apr 2013 - 11:34 AM

The 60D is significantly smaller and lighter than earlier EOS xxD cameras like your old 40D, though it is bigger than the 550D.

People sometimes miss one of the most-significant differences between the 60D and an xxxD camera like the 550D: the viewfinder.

The 60D uses a traditional roof pentaprism to make the viewfinder image upright and laterally correct, while the 550D makes do with a pentamirror to reduce costs. Because of this and other differences in the viewfinder optics the 60D has a larger, brighter, and sharper viewfinder image than the 550D. The 60D also offers a more comfortable (longer) eye-relief, which is especially important for wearers of eyeglasses and in particular those with longsightedness (hyperopia) – since longsighted people must wear glasses to see the viewfinder image, and their glasses reduce the eye-relief.

The 60D also has interchangeable focusing screens whereas the 550D does not. That means you can switch to a focusing screen designed for easier manual focus (more accurate depth-of-field rendition), for example.

There’s more to an SLR than the sensor.

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7825 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Apr 2013 - 1:24 PM

Quote: you will find the ergonomics inferior

Different, not inferior - it is down to preference rather than quality. If you really like the dual wheel controls then the 550D and related models will be frustrating.
    I prefer the xxD design but having used my wife's 600D I would quite happily have one as a second camera if that was the best option. As it happens I have gone to the MFTs for precisely that reason - I wanted compact and my Panasonic GX1 fits the bill excellently, especially when travelling on business. And the noise control is between 1 and 2 stops better than my 7D (same sensor as the 550D). If i were you I would give MFTs serious thought.

I've often heard the noise control on the 7D is poor - I find it quite surprising as the 550D is not that bad [I own one]. I also own a Panasonic G3 and a GX1 - I wouldn't say the latter [and it's slightly the better of the two] had any advantage at higher ISOs over the 550D. Although Canon are using the same basic sensor design in their APSc cameras that they have over recent years, they do seem to be able to eke out a bit more with successive generations from low-light operation.

As for the ergonomics, owning both the the 5DII [twin dial/top plate and so on] and the 550D, the latter is limiting if you want to take more control and do it quickly. But it does depend on shooting style. The viewfinder is rather better on the higher end cameras, as noted above.

Last Modified By ChrisV at 29 Apr 2013 - 1:25 PM
    mikehit
    mikehit  56748 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Apr 2013 - 2:24 PM

The 7D is not poor as such - I have taken some more than usable images up to 1600 and I think the main disappointment for many was that it was not really any better than the 60D/600D which are in theory inferior models. In fact, some reviews said that of the three the 600D was marginally the better with regards noise (then again, it was 18months newer than the others so had improved processing).

ricrhys - regards you compactness vs quality question, I really don't think you have any worries getting the 550D to back up your 40D. And doing that means you don't need to buy new lenses which is what you would have to do if you went over to MFT.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.