Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

EOS 7D Firmware Version 2.0.3

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    EOS_Snapper
    7 Oct 2012 - 9:16 PM

Guy’s, thought you may be interested in this.

I emailed Canon with the following:

Your install guide for firmware updates is a little vague as it ask me to ensure that the downloaded file be the same size as shown on your web page. In this case the file size on your firmware page states 18.2mb and yet the firmware file it is only 16.6mb. The total download is 18.1mb which includes update-procedure-pdfs in various languages. Very confusing...

Their reply was:

With reference to your enquiry about the EOS 7D and the firmware we have the following information for you.
    The total package, that means the .FIR file and the folders with PDF instructions, should be approximately 18.2MB. When extracting the .FIR file, this should have a size of approximately 17.5MB.
    We understand that your .FIR is 16.6MB. This indicates that the download was not completed. A cause to this can be that the firmware was downloaded via WiFi.
    We advise to download via a wired network and to retry the download.

Their reply was partly out of context with what I sent but they are way out of touch with modern times. How many homes now have wired internet access?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Oct 2012 - 9:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bigalguitarpicker

Hmm ... My son has a wired connection to BT Infinity. I even had the Hub installed upstairs to facilitate his online gaming penchant - tiny hole through the wall into his room, and all other computers in the house run wireless. Which is pants. Bt Infinity is a poor wireless connection, in fact it reminds me of the worst days of Dial-Up connection. I'm going to go for the wired connection through the Earth in the house wiring. I'd imagine there's plenty of users on a wired connection.

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    7 Oct 2012 - 10:34 PM

I would suggest you have something wrong there, I stream some quite hefty video via an Infinity wireless connection the only problem I get is with BBC iplayer freezing but that seems to be an issue with the BBC servers.

Last Modified By cambirder at 7 Oct 2012 - 10:35 PM
    bainsybike
    7 Oct 2012 - 10:59 PM

I don't think you can blame Canon for pointing out where a possible weakness in the chain of transmission might lie. I suggest you keep trying till it works.

strawman
    strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Oct 2012 - 11:57 PM

They are pointing out that your firmware download has probably been corrupted, and they gave you one of the possible causes. This applies to all downloads, not just the canon sw. Other causes are possible. Its not a flaw in canon's logic or an inability of their SW to work on wireless, more an indication you are having a problem.

In short, try and download it again. Its important to get this correct as a failed re-flash of your camera could result in it being "bricked". You should have an eithernet port on your router to allow a wired connection.

Last Modified By strawman at 7 Oct 2012 - 11:59 PM
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.