Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Eos 7D focus problem?

19 Mar 2013 3:39PM
Scenario: 7D with Canon 300mm f4 + 1.4 extender mounted on solid tripod to take bird/nest pictires. IS off and AF on and picture taken. Reviewing the picture it looks blurred.

Switch of AF, turn on live view and go to 10X magnification. Manually focus so image is sharp on the screen. Take photo and it is still slightly blurred when reviewed.

As above but after focussing turn off live view and take photo and it still looks a bit blurred! (cap fitted over eyepiece.

Is not the picture one sees on the screen in live view what the sensor sees? If so,why would sceen be sharp and picture taken blurred???

Most puzzling!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
19 Mar 2013 3:42PM
It could be a million and one things!! Probably camera shake or heat haze.

Quote:Is not the picture one sees on the screen in live view what the sensor sees? If so,why would sceen be sharp and picture taken blurred???

The picture on the screen is before the picture was taken, which doesn't necessarily equate to the picture that's been captured, i.e. camera shake, subject movement, etc. etc.
robthecamman 3 1.5k United Kingdom
19 Mar 2013 3:46PM
maybe extender
19 Mar 2013 3:46PM
I tried to totally iliminate any chance of camera shake - should have said I was using a remote release. No wind so absolutely no movement of tripod.
robthecamman 3 1.5k United Kingdom
19 Mar 2013 3:48PM
try without extender see wat that does
GlennH 10 1.9k 1 France
19 Mar 2013 3:49PM
Is the shutter speed set sufficiently high?
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
19 Mar 2013 3:50PM
Possibly heat haze. (Yes even at this time of year and the sun doesn't even have to be shining or the temperature particularly high). Atmospheric conditions can completely destroy image quality when using long focal lengths)
GlennH 10 1.9k 1 France
19 Mar 2013 3:50PM
... scrub that, it's on a tripod! Blush
Coleslaw 9 13.4k 28 Wales
19 Mar 2013 3:52PM
It could be anything!
Post some photos with EXIF info if you could.
19 Mar 2013 4:07PM
Now there's a challenge - EXIF? All the pictures are currently stored as RAW (.CR2) files. Presumably that will have all the capture data attached? Can I upload RAW images here or should I convert to .JPG or .TIFF?
GlennH 10 1.9k 1 France
19 Mar 2013 4:31PM

Quote:Now there's a challenge - EXIF? I guess that is stored automatically with the RAW image? These files ar 25Mb+ ! Will this website allow such a large upload?

You can usually keep it embedded in a JPEG providing you check the right boxes.
19 Mar 2013 4:51PM
OK, here goes: The red coloured stuff is bailing twine - probably picked up from a field somewhere, and when focused in live view I could see the individual strands. Here it's just a "lump".
19-3-nest.jpg

lawbert 8 1.8k 15 England
19 Mar 2013 4:59PM
Could an element in the lens be out of alignment?
But that shouldnt make a difference when critically focussed in live view?
19 Mar 2013 5:07PM
True. It's the same lens AND the image on the live view screen is taken from the sensor, not via the prism etc. so it is a puzzle!
Dave_Canon 9 1.0k United Kingdom
19 Mar 2013 5:19PM
With some DSLR's you cannot auto focus with an aperture larger than f5.6. In this particular case, your f4 lens is reduced to f5.6 when you add the 1.4x extender. This may at least result in AF being difficult even if still possible.

Dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.