Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Eos 7D focus problem?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cheddar-caveman
19 Mar 2013 - 5:31 PM

Thanks Dave but I am not using AF but yes, it does sometimes hunt a bit on AF which is why I went to manual in live view!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Mar 2013 - 5:31 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 5:34 PM

The face of the rock on the left looks to be more in focus, as does the strand of grass cutting across the red patch, but that is one heck of a focus 'error'. This would suggest that the lens is refocussing for the actual image.
Like you, I thought the LV image is what the sensor 'sees'.

Have you tried a 'hard reset'? Remove both batteries and leave for at least an our before replacing them and booting up again. Apparently you will lose your date/time settings and image numbering but your customs settings will be intact.

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 5:36 PM

EXIF data seems to have been stripped out, presumably during uploading to ephotozine. Is any part of the picture sharp? Looks to me more like a focusing issue than camera shake, although it's difficult to tell at that size. Have you tried using AF in conjunction with 10X live view?

banehawi
banehawi Critique Team 10822 forum postsbanehawi vcard Canada2821 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 5:39 PM

1. Does it happen with any other lens?

2. Have you tried to use the micro alignment feature the camera has to ensure the lens ans AF system are synched?

3. What is your shutter speed at 300mm?

Willie

Last Modified By banehawi at 19 Mar 2013 - 5:40 PM
lawbert
lawbert  71701 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 5:49 PM

Another Question

you say you manually focussed but was the lens set to manual focus?

cheddar-caveman
19 Mar 2013 - 6:06 PM

Yes lawbert, I was in manual focus which is why I am puzzled. Everything in the "chain" is the same, lens, 1.4X etc. and in "live view" it's as sharp as I could want but the actual images captured is "soft" to say the least.

banehawi
banehawi Critique Team 10822 forum postsbanehawi vcard Canada2821 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 6:09 PM

Michael, can you answer my 3 questions above?

Thanks

Willie

lawbert
19 Mar 2013 - 6:32 PM

Quote: Yes lawbert, I was in manual focus which is why I am puzzled. Everything in the "chain" is the same, lens, 1.4X etc. and in "live view" it's as sharp as I could want but the actual images captured is "soft" to say the least.

Only reason I asked if the lens itself was set to manual focus is because no matter how critically sharp the image is in live view once you press the shutter (via cable release in your case) the AF will re focus the image which would then be an AF problem....If the lens was set to manual focus then its most peculiar and Willies 1 and 3 questions are very pertinent.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114493 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 6:37 PM

Mirror-Slap????

Probably exaggerated by the TC and/or worn mirror box.

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 19 Mar 2013 - 7:18 PM
cheddar-caveman
19 Mar 2013 - 6:44 PM

banehawi - sorry, trying to cook supper at the same time! Shutter was 1/100 at f6.3, ISO 200. I havent tried another lens yet, will do tomorrow. The micro adjustment is when using AF I believe? I'm manually focusing.

lawbert
19 Mar 2013 - 6:48 PM

Quote: Mirror-Slap????

Probably exaggerated by the TC and/or worn mirror box.

Mirrors locked up in live view I believe

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114493 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 7:20 PM

If it's worn you can still get movement in the mirror-box as I stated.........Costs about 280 to put right as I have found to my cost.Sad

cheddar-caveman
19 Mar 2013 - 7:41 PM

Ade_Osman - are you saying that even with the mirror locked up (as it has to be in live view) it can still move when you operate the shutter? I have no idea how many shutter operations there are on the camera and no idea how to find out other than I have never reset the file numbering and I'm currently on 6894.

lawbert
19 Mar 2013 - 7:49 PM

Quote: If it's worn you can still get movement in the mirror-box as I stated.........Costs about 280 to put right as I have found to my cost.Sad

Fair enough Ade, Was That on a 7d?...What was the shutter count?

Ade_Osman
19 Mar 2013 - 8:26 PM

Quote: Fair enough Ade, Was That on a 7d?...What was the shutter count?

No a 50d with 80,000+ actuations, came back from repair as good as new though with a complete Canon reset including the focus being perfectly calibrated. Colchester Camera Repair did the job and I can't recommend them high enough.......However, I digress, back to the OP problem I'm inclined to think Mikes problem lies with the TC and am wondering if he has any problems if he were to use an extension tube instead. Of course the problem could lie with the fact that the camera's focus needs re-calibrating.
It's one of the reasons I've hung onto my 50d's and not replaced them as yet, they the facility whereby you can micro-adjust the focus to suit any particular lens combo, I'm not sure if you can do this on a 7d, I know you can't on the 60d, though I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm mistaken Smile

GrinGrin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.