Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Eos 7D focus problem?

banehawi e2
10 986 2981 Canada
19 Mar 2013 8:34PM
Yes mike, micro is for AF. Would check other lens, or this one without the TC to try to eliminate the lens and the TC. If the problem follows the camera, it back to Canon.

W

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
19 Mar 2013 9:01PM

Quote:Ade_Osman - are you saying that even with the mirror locked up (as it has to be in live view) it can still move when you operate the shutter?

Sorry Mike....missed your post, very much in and out of EPZ at the moment as I'm exceptionally busy with other stuff, but yes it does indeed move, even if you have the mirror locked up. Try it for yourself with a lens on and listen for the mechanical movement when you push the shutter button. Locking the mirror up does indeed alleviate movement to an extent, but there is still movement within the actual mirror box itself when shutter is fired!

But as I stated in my last post, I think it's the TC causing the problem, try using a extension tube instead if available.....
banehawi e2
10 986 2981 Canada
19 Mar 2013 9:21PM
Theres quite a lot of web discussions on the same problem Michael. Theres a theory that in Live view, with A Small SCREEN AT 10x the jmage will look way sharper that the camera recorded image, as its downsized and converted to a sharp jpeg. Ive also read that Live Focus is what you need to use, and not live view (dont know the difference).

Are you shooting RAW. and comparing the live view to the RAW image? RAW will be very soft in comparison, as no correction has been made for the anti-alias filter.

Just some info \i found might be useful, - still try with \tc off and another lens. Whats the make of the TC?

W
banehawi e2
10 986 2981 Canada
19 Mar 2013 9:37PM
http://www.michaelmiles.com/2010/03/06/answer-fixing-canon-7d-focus-issue/

Might be worth trying this \hard \reset procedure

W
19 Mar 2013 10:05PM
Thanks banehawi - I'll go through that tomorrow and if all else fails I'll try a hard reset. I am shooting RAW and although I initially check on the back screen, and they look soft but as can be seen from the uploaded image they are soft when uploaded to my computer. I can sharpen them up a bit in Lightroom but I didn't have to do this not that long ago. I must also add that the light is not too good where that nest is.
dagr 1 2 Australia
20 Mar 2013 1:39AM
Have you tried taking pictures with no UV filters ? All my pics are soft with a UV Filter on but they are pin sharp without the UV Filter on - using an EF 70-300 f4-5.6 lens. I have not tried using a Canon UV filter yet but there are quite a few comments about this. If anyone is interested I have some comparison shots I could upload.
dagr 1 2 Australia
20 Mar 2013 1:42AM
Here they are anyway...

ef-70-300-filter-test.jpg

20 Mar 2013 9:26AM
OK, I did a "hard reset" (I think). I took the batteries out overnight and then inserted them this morning. The only thing that seems to have changed was the lost date/time. The file numbering is still there - I thought I'd lose that? Any way, I'll try it out this afternoon when I get a chance.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2013 10:11AM
The difference between LiveView and the final image is a puzzling one. The only think I can think of is that the LiveView image has bags of sharpening applied and it is a smaller image (even at 10x magnification). If you do the focussing test indoors, can you try shooting tethered with the LiveView image being projected onto a computer screen and then you will be able to confirm if the final image is the same as the LiveView image.
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
20 Mar 2013 10:48AM

Quote:The difference between LiveView and the final image is a puzzling one.

Puzzling because it's unlikely. Using the 7D's Live Mode (contrast detection) autofocus setting in conjunction with 10X magnification should theoretically result in very accurate focusing, although it may struggle and be painfully slow in murky conditions. It could at least be a useful test. Ironically the same setting seems poor for accuracy if you don't zoom in, something that Canon vaguely allude to in their manuals (7D and 60D).
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2013 10:53AM
Glenn - I mentioned it only because cheddar_caveman said just that: he is manually focussing (not AF so contrast detection is not relevant) with LiveView which looks sharp but the final image is blurred.
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
20 Mar 2013 10:59AM

Quote:Glenn - I mentioned it only because cheddar_caveman said just that: he is manually focussing (not AF so contrast detection is not relevant) with LiveView which looks sharp but the final image is blurred.

I know; all I'm really doing is agreeing and suggesting an accurate auto-focusing test to further rule out any possibility of user error (with apologies to cheddar-caveman if that is outside the bounds of possibility).
20 Mar 2013 3:40PM

Quote:The difference between LiveView and the final image is a puzzling one. The only think I can think of is that the LiveView image has bags of sharpening applied and it is a smaller image (even at 10x magnification). If you do the focussing test indoors, can you try shooting tethered with the LiveView image being projected onto a computer screen and then you will be able to confirm if the final image is the same as the LiveView image.

That's a good idea. I'll have a look at that. I used my other lens today, the Canon 300mm f2.8 with the 1.4X extender and the images are fine. It seems to be tied in with the f5.6 that using the 1.4 with the 300mm f4 would be the largest aperture. But I still can't relate the live view and manual focusing to this!
banehawi e2
10 986 2981 Canada
20 Mar 2013 4:38PM
The difference between Live View and final image is obvious. Live view is presented on a much smaller screen, and has a LOT of sharpening applied. Its the manual thing thats the puzzler. Lets see if the hard reset did anuthing.

W
20 Mar 2013 5:10PM

Quote:The difference between LiveView and the final image is a puzzling one. The only think I can think of is that the LiveView image has bags of sharpening applied and it is a smaller image (even at 10x magnification). If you do the focussing test indoors, can you try shooting tethered with the LiveView image being projected onto a computer screen and then you will be able to confirm if the final image is the same as the LiveView image.

When one does a tethered shoot, should one see a "live" image from the camera before capturing the image? I don't get that, just an image once the shutter is pressed. I was hoping to see a live view to get "sharp" live focusing. Have I not turned something on - quite new to Lightroom?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.