Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Eos 7D rear LCD

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    jimbob12
    jimbob12  2
    13 Sep 2012 - 3:05 PM

Hi everyone
    Is there anyway to turn off the rear LCD of my eos 7D prior to taking a photo, after having accessed the menu on the LCD and then take a photo it can be a bit off putting especially at night time, I have looked through the manual and can't find anything on it. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Sep 2012 - 3:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sabreur
    Sabreur  9767 forum posts England
    13 Sep 2012 - 3:18 PM

Do you mean you don't want the image to appear on the screen for review after you take it? If so, the 'Review time' option on the first page of menu options has an 'Off' option.

jimbob12
    jimbob12  2
    13 Sep 2012 - 10:06 PM

No, I mean when I access the menu on the LCD to change a setting the LCD stays lit up when I put my eye to the viewfinder to take the photo,

Sabreur
    13 Sep 2012 - 10:51 PM

If you press the Menu button again, the menu disappears.

jimbob12
    jimbob12  2
    14 Sep 2012 - 9:10 AM

When I press the menu button again it just scrolls to anaother menu view, I have also tried half pressing the shutter release also every other button on the camera all to no avail, I have heard of some canon models that auto darken when you put the camera to your eye ( I assume some sort of sensor near the eyepiece ) perhaps it's something you have to live with, thanks for your help anyway.

User_Removed
    15 Sep 2012 - 2:06 PM

I have the 7D, I have gone through the scenario you described and when I part depress the shutter button the screen darkens immediately. Weird

Sabreur
    15 Sep 2012 - 11:00 PM

Are you using the 'Q' button to change settings? If so, pressing it again should turn off the screen - it does on mine. Then again, half pressing the shutter release blanks the screen too.

jimbob12
    jimbob12  2
    22 Sep 2012 - 1:58 PM

Playing around with the camera a little I have found that when reviewing photos on the LCD a half press of the shutter turns on the Q menu on the LCD, and then a press of the INFO button thorns off the LCD ( job done ) also when in main menu on the LCD a half press of the shutter brings up the Q menu also, and as before a press of the INFO button turns off the LCD ( job done ) although this involves pressing two buttons rather than one to achieve the required result, it's not much of an inconvenience. Thanks again for your help.

cheddar-caveman
    24 Sep 2012 - 8:43 PM

I've had my 7D for a couple of years now and not quite sure what you are experiencing. The only time the LCD comes on is 1/. immediately after you take a picture, about a 2sec view and 2/. when you press any of the 5 buttons down the LH side of the screen, Q, MENU,Pic.Style, INFO or Playback. Of course it also comes on when you go to "live" view as well.

When reviewing a picture on the LCD, if I press the shutter half way it immediately turns off the LCD and goes to AF ready to take another picture, not to the "Q" screen. I've tried to replicate this scenario and can't.

Have you accidentally changed some of the "Custom controls" in C.Fn.IV -2 (page 215 in the manual)? Here you can allocate commonly used functions to different buttons and dials to suit your shooting habits.

shutterbugjo
    25 Sep 2012 - 5:40 PM

On my Canon EOS rebel series I go to "Live View function settings" then DISABLE Live View shoot. then I put the camera up to my eye to take a pic my LCD screen shuts off while I am taking the pic. It then returns to do all viewing and changing settings etc...

jimbob12
    jimbob12  2
    25 Sep 2012 - 7:31 PM

Hi Chedder-Caveman,
    When in every mode except creative auto, and after reviewing pictures, a half press of the shutter release does blank the LCD screen, when in creative auto and after reviewing my pictures, a half press of the shutter release, the LCD changes to the Q menu, also when displaying the menu on the LCD ( both Q and normal menu )  all modes except CA blank out the LCD when I half press the shutter release, when in CA, again it brings up the Q menu, so it looks like I am only unable to blank the LCD when I am in CA mode,

Montana5
    Montana5  457 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Sep 2012 - 9:08 PM

If Q menu stays on, press info button once.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.