Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

EOS3 user going digital

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

steve_w
steve_w  7
30 Sep 2007 - 6:41 PM

I'm about to purchase an EOS 40D as my move into digital, Ive been an EOS3 user for the last few years (and hence have a significant bag of kit) and the 40D looks to be the 'digital equivalent'. I'll be adding a grip either immediately or soon after and just wondered if anyone had any views on the film to digital move and the 40D in particular.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Sep 2007 - 6:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KatieR
KatieR  106197 forum posts6 Constructive Critique Points
30 Sep 2007 - 6:58 PM

I went from an EOS 3 to a 30D nearly a year ago.

They are quite different - much more so than I expected. I have had to change my ideas about metering and many other things. I would have chosen a 5D if I could afford one, to keep the usability of my lenses, but the 30D was the next best thing, and in my price range.

Don't expect the 40D to be like your EOS 3. Enjoy the challenge of something new. It's great fun. Honestly!

Little Jo
Little Jo e2 Member 122272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
30 Sep 2007 - 7:31 PM

There should still be an article I did for Ephotozine on the site where I talk about what it felt like going from an EOS 3 to a 20D.

The 35-zone metering is less sophisticated than that on the pro models, but it does a reasonable job and you'll soon get to grips with it.

There are a lot of features on the EOS 3 that many photographers either didn't use or used only very occasionally - what you didn't use, you won't miss!

Digital is different to film and has its own foibles. Consider it a move into a different world rather than swapping your EOS 3 to another similar body but with a digital sensor.

Stock up on memory cards or an image downloader as you'll take a lot more images than you do with film. A spare battery or two won't go amiss either.

Last, but not least - just enjoy it. Yes, there will be a few frustrating moments along the way, film has it's good points and drawbacks, digital is no different. You will also need to store and back-up your images.

Jo

samfurlong
30 Sep 2007 - 7:34 PM

I think the 5D would be more of an 'equivalent' to an EOS 3, however the price is significant. Plus to 40D is a great camera.

Last Modified By samfurlong at 30 Sep 2007 - 7:35 PM
Little Jo
Little Jo e2 Member 122272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
30 Sep 2007 - 9:13 PM

Apart from the sensor size, there's not a lot of other bells or whistles on the 5D that aren't on the 30D/40D. The 40D has Digic III, 14-bit colour and a few other add-ons that make it a good choice for anyone, unless of course you want a full-frame sensor.

At 1500, the 5D is a good buy, at it's launch price, there was plenty of ouch factor. Image quality is superb as was highlighted in a recent AP article that compared full-frame to crop-frame cameras.

Simple decision - if you don't need full-frame, go for the 40D and either stash the cash or treat yourself to a new lens!

Jo

steve_w
steve_w  7
1 Oct 2007 - 9:56 AM

My budget keeps me away from the 5 and other than the sensor I couldnt see any must haves (for me personally) over the 40D, in real terms the 400 has plenty of features but years have shown me having something a little more rugged and beter handling is worth the extra.

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
1 Oct 2007 - 10:02 AM

Steve the 40D and 5D look to have a similar level of robustness. To a non-owner they felt very similar in the hand.

whippetrider
1 Oct 2007 - 12:57 PM

Steve,

I made the change from the EOS 3 to a 20D about 2 1/2 years ago. The big issues for me were to loss of the large area AF ability and the loss of the vertical exposure scales in the view finder. I got used to the MMI differences quickly and the smaller viewfinder felt natural after a few weeks. I did play with the EX15 adapter but gave up on it as it gave no real advantage a meant that I kept loosing the rubber eye-mount on the edge of my bag!

The crop factor worked in my favour at the time but I found an ultra-wide to be required after a few months. The 17-40 is much better thatn the 17-85 in my opinion (runs for cover). Not sure how this will impact you as your portfolio is empty at present.

I would echo Jo's coments about lots of memory cards or a download device and the batteries. The saving s in film / processing cost will cover this very quickly. This is just as well as this was how I justified the 1000 investment to my wife, payback was under 1 year.

Digital is different so enjoy the new challenge and post us some pictures.

Jeff

Tandberg
Tandberg  111218 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Oct 2007 - 1:05 PM

Its funny how i added a 10D to my EOS 3 years ago now.
And i loved the digitals instant review and a shot on the wall that day.
However i hated the loss of the wide view throught the viewfinder. I took them both tp the coast and compared with a 35mm lens,Bye eck what a difference that was. Eos 3 great,10D tunnel vision.

Anyway times gone on and i have the 1Ds mark 2 and a 5D. The eos 3 went a few weeks back now and i have no regrets, Well just the eye controlled focus..

Both cameras feel great and if im honest even better than the eos 3 did.
These are rugged where that was smooth..

But i always say buy the best you can get and no regrets come later..
But its up to you fella
Dave

steve_w
steve_w  7
1 Oct 2007 - 1:14 PM

Thanks everyone for some helpful comments, I shoot a lot of different subjects but mostly people and landscape (I have a Sigma 17-35 in my bag and would maybe consider one of the 10-xx zooms later if the need was there).

I never got on too well with Eye Control focus so I can honestly say I wont miss it, I know others who love it though.

Tandberg
1 Oct 2007 - 1:34 PM

Each to their own eh..
But i liked it Wink
Dave

steve_w
steve_w  7
1 Oct 2007 - 1:56 PM

I think I may of lost patience with it having lost the decisive moment once or twice with it, then again I said that about autofocus and I now use that rather than manual Smile

Tandberg
1 Oct 2007 - 1:59 PM

Well i shall miss it
It was the one i liked the most over the 20+ years since i started
Dave

scott_jessuk
1 Oct 2007 - 3:23 PM

The 40D sounds like a good bet, if you can afford the 5D. I have heard some good things about it. I also have a Canon Eos 3 but went digital with the 20D a few years back. Digital cameras these days are all fairly easy to get the hang of so you shouldn't find it too difficult to get the hang of.

I was thinking about selling my EOS 3 but due to the very small amount of pennies you get from the second hand market I have decided to keep it. I may need it anyway because I'm thinking about going to uni and some of the courses still start on film, so maybe have a head start. Maybe.

Happy shooting with the 40D

Scott

steve_w
steve_w  7
1 Oct 2007 - 3:35 PM

Yes, the second hand value of film bodies is poor. I am torn between keeping it (a double edge sword, good to have a standby, but always extra weight to carry about for something you have no intent on using) or accepting its poor value against more glass.

I dont know how much its worth (with the PB grip) but wouldnt imagine very much at all as a trade in, a little more second hand maybe?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.