Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

EOS40D Error 99 Re-Visited

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    johnp
    johnp  10139 forum posts United Kingdom
    27 Oct 2010 - 11:53 AM

Two years ago I went on holiday to USA, Fiji and Australia. About 3 weeks in I was shooting away happily with the 40D when for no obvious reason I got Error99. I tried all permutations of switching off/on, replacing the battery, changing lenses and changing the CF card but all to no avail. I tried it a time or two later in the day and on the next day without success. But then three days later it worked and has done so ever since - over thousands of shots - without a hiccup. Until........

I have just been to Australia, New Zealand and Singapore. About 3 weeks in I was shooting away happily with the 40D when for no obvious reason I got Error99. I tried all permutations of switching off/on, replacing the battery, changing lenses and changing the CF card but all to no avail. I tried it a time or two later in the day and on the next day without success. (Does this sound familiar?) But this time I really needed a camera and ended up buying a 2nd hand EOS20D in Auckland. I checked out the websites, cleaned the lens contacts as instructed, but still nothing. A week later it started working again for no obvious reason. Since then it has stopped 4 times with Error 99 but switching off/on and flipping the battery out/in has always cleared it.

It's worth adding that both trips were at a time of year when temperatures and humidity overseas were comparable with those in the UK. All my kit travelled as cabin baggage and the occurrence of faults cannot be linked to flights.

I had a theory that the problem was that some circuit inside got charged up electrically and the long wait of a few days was to allow it to discharge, but that doesn't tie in with the 4 brief events.

Incidentally, since the error message on the camera tells you to switch off/on or swap batteries, why do Canon online recommend cleaning lens contacts?

Does anybody have any theories, suggestions or advice, please?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Oct 2010 - 11:53 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KarenFB
    KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84270 forum postsKarenFB vcard England162 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Oct 2010 - 11:56 AM

I put 'Error 99' into the search box (top right) and got these (linky thing). Are any of these any help? Smile

johnp
    27 Oct 2010 - 12:05 PM

Nope. But thanks for your interest.

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    27 Oct 2010 - 2:02 PM

Quote: why do Canon online recommend cleaning lens contacts?

Because dirty contacts result in Err99. Its not the only reason you get that error code but it is probably the most common on Canon bodies.

johnp
    27 Oct 2010 - 4:38 PM

My point being that the error message text is therefore wrong.

But what really matters is that Error 99 has occurred several times, but 2 years apart. The killer is that it's only ever happened in Australia and New Zealand ... although I cannot believe that crossing the eqator triggers it!!
    John

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.