Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

eos5d...raw dont work..?

strawman e2
11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2007 11:18PM

Quote: its a carp way of doing it

Yes get a Turbot, much quicker.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

18 Nov 2007 11:35PM
ok..have put all disks i have back in computor..but to no avail i am a bit worried i might have corupted something....the stuff i took on raw..will not leave the camara..i have an old multiy card reader here abouts should i give that a go..(its about 2/3years old) our should i pay a new one...will up grade my elements3 as you have suggested..and i have binned my picasa2
da_nige e2
10 1.2k Scotland
18 Nov 2007 11:36PM
Elements 3 is fine, all you need to do is download the latest version of camera raw from the adobe site
cambirder e2
11 7.2k England
19 Nov 2007 12:00AM
I would not really recommend using elements as your RAW converter, unless you have only got one or 2 to do.

Try the card reader, if it don't work get a new one.
19 Nov 2007 7:43PM
hi all...i reinstalled the canon disks..after deleting everything that remotley said canon on my computor..including the stuff i downloaded last night..my camara is back as before down loading photos in jpeg..as it was not even doing that late last night....but the raw images i had on the card have gone...so the downloading of the patch came at a price...i am thankfull that it did not screw up the camara..i will get a card reader for my raw shots from now on and upgrade my elements3..thank you all for the help and advice..jim
elowes e2
10 2.8k United Kingdom
19 Nov 2007 8:38PM
First of all get a card reader unless you have an ac power supply for your camera. If the batteries fails you could lose data.

2nd use the disks that may have come with the camera. I either lost mine or they were never there. I never wanted them until I changed to iMac. Found my disks from the 20D and then down loaded the up grades from Canon.

The raw conversion in Canons Camera Raw gives surprisingly good results for the money (free!!). There are better but at a price.
lee beel e2
10 237 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2007 8:49AM
could someone please just let me know if Photoshop CS2 will recognise RAW files from a 5D? I have a 20D but would like to upgrade. Thanks.
Simon_Palmer e2
8 759 11 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2007 8:50AM
CS2 will see 5D RAW files, if it can't pop along to Adobe and download the latest ACR file.
Little Jo e2
13 2.3k United Kingdom
20 Nov 2007 5:48PM
Adobe camera raw v3.7 is the latest version that will work with CS2, but yes, it will read 5D raw files.

Jo
cambirder e2
11 7.2k England
20 Nov 2007 6:31PM
It can but you would be better off getting a dedicated RAW program.
Gazen e2
9 20 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2007 7:40PM
Hi Niceshot,
I am probably repeating what has already been said already.
I don't think that you can use the later versions of Camera raw that support 5D raw with Elements 3. Elements 5 and 6 can be obtained quite cheaply and for the money they are excellent. They should both have a version of Camera raw that supports the 5D. Another alternative would be to purchase a bespoke raw converter like Adobe Lightroom (aprox 150) or Capture One LE (approx 60) ( www.phaseone.com) . These can be used to convert the raw file into another format such as jpeg, dng or tiff for further processing. In an ideal world we would all be using Photoshop CS3, however it does have a hefty price tag that is out of most people's budget.
I have heard that Paint Shop Pro now processes raw files, but unless PSP X2 has improved significantly on its predecessors, printing is next to impossible and it is very slow.
I have a separate card reader that conveniently sits in the floppy drive slot on my PC; no more hunting around for that elusive card reader and even more elusive USB cable.
Any how I hope that this helps someone.
22 Nov 2007 8:26PM
hi gazen...thanks for that...i am going to buy element5...i also have an old card multi card reader i will try next time i am brave enough to use raw again...which is a subject i know absolutly nothing about...so watch out for loads of dumb questions propably about christmas time when i can get sometime to myself...anyway thanks again
Davidmet e2
9 209 1 England
23 Nov 2007 12:32AM
Niceshot.
I had the same problem with my 5d & RAW files which was solved by downloading new version of Canon Photo Pro from site.
I have just taken the plunge into the dark world of RAW and would recommend you get "Understanding RAW" by Andy Rouse which is helping me no end. ISBN 978-1-86108-515-3. Hope this helps.
Have a nice evening.
Dave.
23 Nov 2007 10:13PM
hi dave...thanks will give it a look..as i am just about to take the plunge...jim
trivets12 e2
10 1.3k
24 Nov 2007 10:43AM
quote 'but the raw images i had on the card have gone...'

Niceshot, did I understand you to say you have lost your raw shots? You can recover them with software such as rescuepro or zero assumption.
Don't give up on it yet,
Trudy

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.