Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

eos5d...raw dont work..?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

strawman
strawman  1022002 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
18 Nov 2007 - 11:18 PM

Quote: its a carp way of doing it

Yes get a Turbot, much quicker.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Nov 2007 - 11:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

niceshot
niceshot  736 forum posts
18 Nov 2007 - 11:35 PM

ok..have put all disks i have back in computor..but to no avail i am a bit worried i might have corupted something....the stuff i took on raw..will not leave the camara..i have an old multiy card reader here abouts should i give that a go..(its about 2/3years old) our should i pay a new one...will up grade my elements3 as you have suggested..and i have binned my picasa2

da_nige
da_nige  101153 forum posts Scotland
18 Nov 2007 - 11:36 PM

Elements 3 is fine, all you need to do is download the latest version of camera raw from the adobe site

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
19 Nov 2007 - 12:00 AM

I would not really recommend using elements as your RAW converter, unless you have only got one or 2 to do.

Try the card reader, if it don't work get a new one.

niceshot
19 Nov 2007 - 7:43 PM

hi all...i reinstalled the canon disks..after deleting everything that remotley said canon on my computor..including the stuff i downloaded last night..my camara is back as before down loading photos in jpeg..as it was not even doing that late last night....but the raw images i had on the card have gone...so the downloading of the patch came at a price...i am thankfull that it did not screw up the camara..i will get a card reader for my raw shots from now on and upgrade my elements3..thank you all for the help and advice..jim

elowes
elowes  102832 forum posts United Kingdom
19 Nov 2007 - 8:38 PM

First of all get a card reader unless you have an ac power supply for your camera. If the batteries fails you could lose data.

2nd use the disks that may have come with the camera. I either lost mine or they were never there. I never wanted them until I changed to iMac. Found my disks from the 20D and then down loaded the up grades from Canon.

The raw conversion in Canons Camera Raw gives surprisingly good results for the money (free!!). There are better but at a price.

lee beel
lee beel  10237 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Nov 2007 - 8:49 AM

could someone please just let me know if Photoshop CS2 will recognise RAW files from a 5D? I have a 20D but would like to upgrade. Thanks.

Simon_Palmer
20 Nov 2007 - 8:50 AM

CS2 will see 5D RAW files, if it can't pop along to Adobe and download the latest ACR file.

Little Jo
Little Jo e2 Member 122272 forum postsLittle Jo vcard United Kingdom
20 Nov 2007 - 5:48 PM

Adobe camera raw v3.7 is the latest version that will work with CS2, but yes, it will read 5D raw files.

Jo

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
20 Nov 2007 - 6:31 PM

It can but you would be better off getting a dedicated RAW program.

Gazen
Gazen  8 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2007 - 7:40 PM

Hi Niceshot,
I am probably repeating what has already been said already.
I don't think that you can use the later versions of Camera raw that support 5D raw with Elements 3. Elements 5 and 6 can be obtained quite cheaply and for the money they are excellent. They should both have a version of Camera raw that supports the 5D. Another alternative would be to purchase a bespoke raw converter like Adobe Lightroom (aprox 150) or Capture One LE (approx 60) (www.phaseone.com). These can be used to convert the raw file into another format such as jpeg, dng or tiff for further processing. In an ideal world we would all be using Photoshop CS3, however it does have a hefty price tag that is out of most people's budget.
I have heard that Paint Shop Pro now processes raw files, but unless PSP X2 has improved significantly on its predecessors, printing is next to impossible and it is very slow.
I have a separate card reader that conveniently sits in the floppy drive slot on my PC; no more hunting around for that elusive card reader and even more elusive USB cable.
Any how I hope that this helps someone.

niceshot
22 Nov 2007 - 8:26 PM

hi gazen...thanks for that...i am going to buy element5...i also have an old card multi card reader i will try next time i am brave enough to use raw again...which is a subject i know absolutly nothing about...so watch out for loads of dumb questions propably about christmas time when i can get sometime to myself...anyway thanks again

Davidmet
Davidmet  9209 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
23 Nov 2007 - 12:32 AM

Niceshot.
I had the same problem with my 5d & RAW files which was solved by downloading new version of Canon Photo Pro from site.
I have just taken the plunge into the dark world of RAW and would recommend you get "Understanding RAW" by Andy Rouse which is helping me no end. ISBN 978-1-86108-515-3. Hope this helps.
Have a nice evening.
Dave.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
niceshot
23 Nov 2007 - 10:13 PM

hi dave...thanks will give it a look..as i am just about to take the plunge...jim

trivets12
trivets12  101149 forum posts
24 Nov 2007 - 10:43 AM

quote 'but the raw images i had on the card have gone...'

Niceshot, did I understand you to say you have lost your raw shots? You can recover them with software such as rescuepro or zero assumption.
Don't give up on it yet,
Trudy

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.