Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

ePHOTOzine Book

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2004 - 8:02 PM

I doubt the 'destination' of the proceeds of sale (e.g. charity) makes any difference to the legal requirements but I think we need Pete's input.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Mar 2004 - 8:02 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2004 - 8:45 PM

Well this is all looking promising. We'll cross the model release bridge if/when it arises. I can't imagine it needing to cost more than 15-20, depending on number of pages, size/paper quality etc. I'll get the whole thing planned and get a print quote and then get back with an idea of pricing.

onewaymag.co.uk
13 Mar 2004 - 8:49 PM

As its a communal effort i think the book should be able to pay for itself, with any excess going to a chosen charity. Then there would be no quarrels as to where the profit goes. Hmmm...

I think the book should be general, with all the sections on the site covered. I think we should let Pete decide what goes in, as he is the daddy. Good luck if you get one in, yet if you dont, you'll just have to try harder for next time!

I think small wrtten pieces are also a good idea. I like photography books with a bit more depth and character.

But then, who knows? Its a nice thought anyway.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2004 - 8:55 PM

Er, with respect I do think some thought ought to be given to the legal issues - now.

Unless we are saying that the only pics to be chosen will be ones where there can be no possibility of model/property releases because of the nature of the subject. That could exclude quite a proportion.

And we still need to know what size/resolution etc is required. Some people may have stored full res images and some not.

A suggestion for Pete (assuming he's doing the picking): Perhaps a high proportion of the pics chosen should NOT be EC award winners! EC pics are too 'obvious' a choice if the Editor is doing the picking!! Wink

keith selmes
13 Mar 2004 - 9:20 PM

We probably don't need to know right this instant though.

Carabosse
13 Mar 2004 - 9:37 PM

No but at least the issue has been flagged up and proper concern expressed.

It is all too easy to get a bit carried away when someone has an interesting idea.

"The devil is in the detail" as they say!! Wink

UserDeleted
13 Mar 2004 - 10:02 PM

I would have thought that Pete with all of his experience will do all of the right things at the right time Carabosse - no need to concern yourself. It will only be your problem if one of your images is selected and you refuse to grant release.

For once perhaps you should only worry about your own problems and not anyone elses.

As for the profits. I would suggest that they go to the site. At the end of the day Pete will take the risk on print and put the effort into preparation - he or ePhotozine (which ever is more relevant) should get the profits.

After all we are enthusiastic now - but what happens in 6 months time ?

Mike

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
13 Mar 2004 - 10:03 PM

Carabosse, don't worry, I'll make sure any pic that is suspect, re model release, is checked out first.

fatwoul
fatwoul  10129 forum posts
13 Mar 2004 - 10:57 PM

All I meant is that it may be unfair to assume people are willing for their photographs to be used in the context of a book, based solely on their willingness to submit the photos to the website.

Carabosse
13 Mar 2004 - 11:41 PM

I am inclined to agree with Frenchie (Oh God that's the 2nd time in as many days!!) that the profits should go to ePz, actually.

However, Frenchie, I don't actually have any problems - that's why I can afford to worry about other people's!! Smile But maybe that's my problem! :-(

I assume anyone whose pic is selected will be contacted by Pete for permission to use the pic in the book and to request a high resolution version. That will, I imagine cover Fatwoul's concern.

iscramble
iscramble  1090 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Mar 2004 - 11:49 PM

Just seen this, Great idea. No experience that would be useful but would be willing to
pay the cover price if ti was 20 or so.
I agree on the use of a wider range of pics not just EC ones as there are many that dont get one that are brilliant anyway.
Just my two penn'th

db
db  1035 forum posts
14 Mar 2004 - 8:00 AM

I think the book would be a brilliant idea. To help maximize the amount sold to members how about getting 1 image from each person who is willing to commit to buy a copy. I'm sure more people would be more inclined to part with cash if they knew they have had something in the book (even if it is at a reduced size).

How could they be picked? Well how about using the clicks method? Only put forward photos which have received at least 10 clicks.

Just a thought though.

davidc
davidc  10313 forum posts England
14 Mar 2004 - 9:28 AM

Two points regarding db's ideas. First choosing images on the clicks they have received would not be fair on all those great photos that were put on the site before the hearts system was introduced. Secondly, allowing members who pledge to buy the book a photo entry turns it into a 'vanity' publishing project and would not, IMHO be a healthy thing. Otherwise, it's a great idea.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
14 Mar 2004 - 10:59 AM

I dont like the idea of doing it on the number of hearts (far too many Robin pictures for a start), I think some form of selection pannel would be required. Also some pictures that look fine on here in the 500X500 pixel limit, might not stand up to the higher quality required for book publication (I'm thinking of heavily cropped pics) so they would also have to pass muster on that front.

Paul

andrewsansom
14 Mar 2004 - 11:43 AM

Perhaps one option for selection would be to have an annual competition.

EPZ Photographer of the Year.

That would prevent the "vanity" issue, and would also allow for a wide range of photos. Portraits, Places, Wildlife, Objects, Buildings, Action, Sport, etc.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.