Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

ePHOTOzine Book

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

IanA
IanA  103048 forum posts England12 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2004 - 12:27 PM

Why not have an upload area, similar to the competitions area, and invite everyone who is interested in the book, and has hi-res file, to load 2 or 3 pics. Then leave Pete or a guest judge / panel to choose from those pictures. They should be pics that the contributor feels is his/her best work. Add a short (say 30-50 words) description of what, why, where, when, who and how. That would overcome many of the issues that have been raised!

Ian

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Mar 2004 - 12:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

iscramble
iscramble  1090 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Mar 2004 - 12:59 PM

I think the Hi res part would maybe be a stumbling block for a lot of EPZer's as this would mean that only pics that were produced in a big file size could be used.
I would imagine that a lot of people only produce originals that are no more than 300 to 500k max which may be a problem. I for one dont often use RAW and therefore would fall into this category. There are ways and means of making digitised images more useable for printing whatever their size so perhaps that should be one issue that could be looked into? I would imagine most people would like to think they have something that could be published and would be disappointed to find they had not been included in the choice purely becuase they were not a large enough file. The final point in this is that there are any number of books out there that include very old pictures from photographys early days that have been made usable for printing purposes so surely this cannot be an insurmountable problem now? (if I am wrong in this fair enough)
Twopenn'th more finished now!
Cheers
Phil

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
14 Mar 2004 - 2:11 PM

Great!!

I really like DB's 10 hearts/clicks idea.
It means that I'll get at least one in for sure.
The black cat pic is a definite inclusion with 23 surely.
trouble is it's only 50k so I'll need to re-do it.

ROFL

Seriously! What would be be a practical lower limit on file size?
I've printed some quite acceptable A4 size pix from cropped 3.2Mp files from my Sony, without any anhancement apart from the usaual cotrast/brightness/gamma adjustments to correct for the Sony's usual rather dark images.

Book images tend to be generally less than A4, so smaller files may well be acceptable.

onewaymag.co.uk
14 Mar 2004 - 3:28 PM

I like characterboats idea...Submissions would be a nice idea. But, maybe a bit too elitist.

davidc
davidc  10313 forum posts England
14 Mar 2004 - 4:11 PM

I belong to another photo site (yes - OK I'm a tart) and they have a high res section. The limit is 200k and 1024 pixels max on the longest side. The idea of selecting from those photos uploaded to a hires section (assuming that the larger master is available if necessary) is a good one. Plus of course some EC's should be included.

peterkin
peterkin  10619 forum posts England
14 Mar 2004 - 6:44 PM

Great idea, and you can count me in! There are so many wonderful images on this site (not my pathetic two, you understand) that I would love the opportunity to buy a book and peruse them at leisure. I don't mind paying in advance and I'm sure many other members feel the same. I don't have a problem with any profits going to this site or charity - whatever is decided. Never mind the details, just please do it!

Peter

telep
telep  11 United Kingdom
14 Mar 2004 - 8:07 PM

I would buy one.
Trev

onewaymag.co.uk
14 Mar 2004 - 8:10 PM

Yeah, i think if its gonna happend, it should be less personal. Just leave the picking to Pete, hes the daddy, he should have the privalege (?) of picking what he wants to invest in.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023037 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2004 - 8:42 PM

I guess it's the unique way that this site works that people feel able and the need to discuss the book as though it was ours. That was intended as a compliment. I've just rung my publisher to inform him exactly how my next book will be designed, sold and priced. He told me I was wrong.

FrankThomas
FrankThomas e2 Member 112762 forum postsFrankThomas vcard United Kingdom
14 Mar 2004 - 8:56 PM

Pubishers rank right up there with marketing people in terms of "have an artistic tantrum" if you try to do things any way other than their way.
(Tongue firmly in cheek)

Rob_Taylor
Rob_Taylor  10659 forum posts Wales5 Constructive Critique Points
14 Mar 2004 - 9:15 PM

I think the high-res issue could be handled by including pictures in a number of sizes. It would be more interesting if the book was a bit of a mix of large and small pictures and maybe even some thumbnails. If a picture is judged good enough, it could be used in some way.

a11sus
a11sus  11568 forum posts Northern Ireland
14 Mar 2004 - 9:30 PM

Pete,

What about including a disc with it (like mags do) so that people could click on a lo res thumbnail or link which would take them straight into the site to the page of the original upload? Oh copyright problems? What about giving the link then?
SUSAN

bayesp
bayesp  11292 forum posts
16 Mar 2004 - 9:28 AM

I've just come back from a shortbreak and have read this whole thread and think its a great idea.
Heres a few things i have thought of.

It would be nice to mainly include un-published photographers (amatuers who have had the odd image in magazines would count as un-published) .
People could "donate" their photographs by uploading their favourite images (say a limit of 3 per person) to a dedicated area, where the images will be selected.
As images for the book will be donated, the bulk of the prophits should go to charity.
Some people would struggle with writing about their images, including me, so apart from details like what the picture is and where it was etc, this should be optional. Possibly editors comments instead.
Regarding the images being selected on the number of hearts, this could be started from fresh in the new upload area and then there could be a section of the book called the peoples choice.
If proceeds are going to charity, i'm sure there would be a photography related company that would sponsor the book.

Any way, thats my two penneth worth for now, i need to do some work.

Paul

michaeldt
michaeldt  101201 forum posts
16 Mar 2004 - 9:49 AM

well, paul has a good point about sponsorship, if the profits do go to charity, perhaps you could get sponsors for the book from retailers or manufacturers of photographic equipment. and in return they can have their logo on a thank-you page in the front of the book. i'm not sure how much they'd be willing to sponsor for just a logo, but since it's for charity......

job3210
job3210  1046 forum posts
16 Mar 2004 - 3:13 PM

I am all for it but (No Robins please)

Just a question.

Why would anybody want to buy the year book? (apart from members here of course, who have a picture in this book),

If they know they can see all the images on here for nothing.

Would it not be an idea, to have say one good photo off every member, rather then alot from a special few. (This would generate more revenue from the members I would imagine, as eveyone would like to have a photo in a book like this)
Being honest I would have to think twice about buying this book if I did not have any of my photo's in it, as I can see the rest here for nothing

Heart Choosing - I don't agree

I have seen some excellent photo's that don't get many hearts, and some bad ones IMHO that get alot of hearts especially after they have had an EC.

Excuse the ramblings, just writing things down as they come into my head.

Also I am heading off to the other side of the world in July, so how can us foreign / some to be foreign members be included and be able to buy the book.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.