Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

ePHOTOzine Developer API

15 Nov 2011 4:12PM
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to gauge the interest the community might have in a developer API to tap into ePHOTOzine. Are there any developers out there who would be interested in working with a developer API?

Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
15 Nov 2011 4:20PM
For what purpose ? Would there be any restrictions on usage ?
digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
15 Nov 2011 4:22PM
Maybe you could persuade somebody to develop the iPhone app. Tongue
15 Nov 2011 4:24PM
I was thinking Android myself.....
15 Nov 2011 4:24PM
Or possibly use it to auto-spam the site .....

Wink

(only kidding David)
15 Nov 2011 4:37PM
If we were to create a public API, it would probably initially be read-only. No doubt we would put some usage monitoring to ensure no one is using it to heavy. Eventually we could then create write access calls too.

There will probably be restrictions in place when it comes to user data and photos.

It's just an initial query to see what sort of interest is out there (if any) from developers. Would it be something you would want to work with?
15 Nov 2011 4:40PM
I'm still curious what you think the need is for this ? Are you assuming someone would like to write an EPZ-reader app ? If so, would that person be able to sell the app, or would there be restrictions or license payments ?
15 Nov 2011 4:46PM

Quote:I'm still curious what you think the need is for this ?

That's partially the reason for the topic. To see if there is any interest/need for this. I'm sure you would agree that public APIs have done wonders for many other websites, but there must be an interest and desire from some developers before doing so.

Lets say the restrictions/licences are as open as flickr's api (as an example). Feel free to comment on what YOU think the restrictions/licences should be.
15 Nov 2011 4:51PM
OK, let me rephrase.... if there were a public API, there's a high chance that I would use it to build an Android app. I do not expect such an app would sell for a lot of money, so I would not want to spent time building it, just to find an invoice for XK from Pete in my inbox Smile
15 Nov 2011 4:54PM
lol, I think as an initial thought, a public API would be provided to encourage development, not as a way to con developers into paying us money. If anything, maybe we could find a way to pay developers for there contribution to revenue generated via apps they create. Again, just talkin, nothing is in stone here.
15 Nov 2011 5:16PM
OK, then yes, I'd be interested. Ian will have to write the iPhone app though.....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.