Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

ePhotozine Image Used on External Website

Georden 3 11 England
21 Oct 2011 6:33PM
Hi there. My son was searchng the 'net, and came across one of my shots on a website. It is credited to me, and states it is from ePhotozine. Maybe I missed the point somewhere, but I thought I had read that ePhotozine had our copyright covered? Perhaps I just don't understand how this works. Could someone enlighten me please?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2011 6:36PM
You've got this wrong. ePz make it a little harder for people to steal images uploaded but not impossible. Nobody can make it impossible.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
21 Oct 2011 6:46PM

Quote:Nobody can make it impossible

Absolutely.

Post ANY image on the internet - and it's 'fair game'.

Yes - you own the © but... Smile
Georden 3 11 England
21 Oct 2011 6:50PM
Fair enough. I don't really have a problem with it, I just wondered if this was normal. Thanks for the feedback!
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
21 Oct 2011 7:01PM
More than normal... it seems to be standard practice and works like this:

Mrs G trawls the internet looking for the nicest images of a genre she can find.

She then collects them all together and posts them on her own website which, by definition, now contains a huge number of very attractive photographs.

She then signs up for a few dozen affiliate programmes that pay her so much per click-through and so much % on sales.

Punters are attracted to her website by the nice photos (including yours) and 0.005% of those punters click through to her client sites, thereby generating her income for her. It's the old internet story. Generate gazillions of hits of which a tiny percentage actually click through or buy anything and 0.00001% of £gazzilion is enough to buy an ice cream for the kids on Saturday.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
21 Oct 2011 7:19PM
It shouldn't be used with out your permission send a report in to us with a link to the site and image and we'll take a look.
Georden 3 11 England
23 Oct 2011 10:47AM
Just to close this off, I contacted the site and they explained they are run by kids courteesy of a council grant. Setting up & running has been part of a learning curve, and they will make the appropriate changes to prevent such issues in the future. Matter closed.
Thanks for all the cooments & assistance!

George
Britman 8 1.7k England
23 Oct 2011 2:12PM
Does show that sometimes images can be used in error, not everyone has even a basic knowledge of copyright. So might have used to imaging thinking it's ok. Nice to know is now closed.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.