Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

ePHOTOzine refresh

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Cookie_Monster
Cookie_Monster e2 Member 2Cookie_Monster vcard Germany1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2014 - 1:19 PM

WTF happened here?????
A photo site without any DOF, now that is great.
A photo site that displays the photos in an unflattering way, that is what we have been waiting for, desperately.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
25 Feb 2014 - 1:19 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014145 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2014 - 1:21 PM

Quote: A photo site without any DOF, now that is great.

Huh?? how does a website have Depth of Field ?

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108376 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2014 - 1:22 PM

Looking good David.
This site isn't too shabby either. Grin

Just remember folks, no matter how much Beta testing was done there may still be a few wrinkles that need to be ironed out..

Use the report system if you spot a problem, but please bear in mind that this will be a very busy time for the IT guys so be patient.

MODERATOR POST
779HOB
779HOB  21021 forum posts United Kingdom
25 Feb 2014 - 1:27 PM

I like it. The old site was looking a bit dated.

Cookie_Monster
Cookie_Monster e2 Member 2Cookie_Monster vcard Germany1 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2014 - 1:30 PM

Quote: A photo site without any DOF, now that is great.

Huh?? how does a website have Depth of Field ?

DOF is visualising depth on a flat image, like a photo.
By making everything just flat you remove any sense of tabs or fields for entries, etc.
It is just flat.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014145 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2014 - 1:37 PM

Quote: By making everything just flat you remove any sense of tabs or fields for entries, etc.
It is just flat.

Yup that's the point, reducing visual clutter and distractions so that the content doesn't have to compete for attention and it renders better on mobile devices. If your site doesn't work well on mobile devices you might as well shut up shop these days.

bricurtis
bricurtis e2 Member 91904 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2014 - 1:44 PM

Quote: I have just put in a report re presentation of images as below:

Could I just point out that the background colour to the images only stretches out to the sides and not the tops and bottoms of the images as well. It looks very odd. Can the surrounding background colours be stretched to take in the whole image as it was before please?

Does anyone else think it looks odd, or is it just me?
I'm sure it's correctable.
x

Agree with that , it does need correcting.

dark_lord
dark_lord Critique Team 101475 forum postsdark_lord vcard England130 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2014 - 1:49 PM

Generally looks good, it's cleaner. The larger font is better too.
But, I agree about the image presentation issue
Keith

dark_lord
dark_lord Critique Team 101475 forum postsdark_lord vcard England130 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2014 - 2:01 PM

Just noticed something else about the images. Panoramic ones to be precise. You now have to scroll to see the whole image whereas previously it fitted across the whole screen width. Well, my screen is large enough to do that so it's more noticeable now, though if i was only using my laptop I wouldn't have thought any more of it.
Not a big issue but I thought it worth mentioning.

Cookie_Monster
25 Feb 2014 - 2:01 PM

Quote: By making everything just flat you remove any sense of tabs or fields for entries, etc.
It is just flat.

Yup that's the point, reducing visual clutter and distractions so that the content doesn't have to compete for attention and it renders better on mobile devices. If your site doesn't work well on mobile devices you might as well shut up shop these days.

That is your opinion and I have voiced my opinion.

mikehit
mikehit  56482 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2014 - 2:13 PM

Quote: and it renders better on mobile devices

That is the driving force nowadays, unfortunately.

The new site is 'cleaner' certainly but visually I find it harder to 'read' - the similarity in appearance of headers, adverts and post fields make everything seem a homogenous soup, whereas the old site had clear visual separation between them.
I guess my feeling is: old website was 'cosy' the new one is 'business like'. I will get used to it but hey, ho.

Cookie_Monster
25 Feb 2014 - 2:29 PM

Quote: and it renders better on mobile devices

That is the driving force nowadays, unfortunately.

The new site is 'cleaner' certainly but visually I find it harder to 'read' - the similarity in appearance of headers, adverts and post fields make everything seem a homogenous soup, whereas the old site had clear visual separation between them.
I guess my feeling is: old website was 'cosy' the new one is 'business like'. I will get used to it but hey, ho.

Ah, homogenous soup is an excellent choice of words. Much better than my 'no DOF'.

lobsterboy
25 Feb 2014 - 2:38 PM

Don't forget that although the site-wide styling has changed, only the Directories and Homepage are actually "complete".
Once the various issues have been dealt with then the chaps will be moving on to re-working the other areas of the site.

bricurtis
bricurtis e2 Member 91904 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
25 Feb 2014 - 2:52 PM

Thanks guys - that was quick......... Image presentation looks so much better now.Smile

pablophotographer

probably I was used to the bold lettering when logging and that helped me a bit Smile

I understand much of the structure isn't changed just the paint on the walls so to speak.

The current bold black and white header that follows me everywhere is too imposing , I actually tried a mod and if I open the pic too much to view it, it hits the ceiling 'the header'.

I think the distance between the comments has become too big (or it appears to me it is now; as a result you need to scroll down more...)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.