Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Epson 830 Photo?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    PeterL
    PeterL  1126 forum posts
    3 Jan 2003 - 10:29 AM

Does anyone have an Epson 830 Photo inkjet printer. It seems very well priced at under 100 on the streets, but is it any good? How does it compare to other printers in the same price bracket and will it be OK for general inkjet printing as well?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give.

PeterL

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Jan 2003 - 10:29 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

nminers
    nminers  11143 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Jan 2003 - 10:37 AM

I own one and have been very happy with the results. I have an A4 print of a 35mm transparency from it framed in my living room and it looks fantastic.

It has a tendency to print a bit dark, but I was able to compensate for this on my Mac by changing the colour control settings. I don't know whether you can do this on a PC, or indeed whether you use a PC.

Nor can I compare it with other printers in the same price range; your best bet would be to go to a computers website and look for a lab test.

The plain paper printing is also faultless; colours are richer due to the the 6-ink system (CcMmYK) and text is sharp and clean.

I have yet to find out whether the ink fades as I haven't owned it for long enough.

gplatt2000
    gplatt2000  11
    4 Jan 2003 - 7:35 PM

I own one and am too very pleased with the results. However, I can't compare to other printers - I think the best thing to do might be to go into PC World as they have sample prints from all their printers. The Epson has won printer tests in magazines I've read, including TOTAL DP where it scored 84% compared with:
    LexmarkZ65 - 80% 129
    HP Deskjet 5550 - 82% 149
    Canon BJC s820 - 83% 249

The verdict was '...great print quality at an affordable price..no slouch at normal print resolutions although slowest of group at top quality settings...prints are easily a match for the hp and Canaon and with this price the Epson wins overall.'

richiev4
    richiev4  1126 forum posts
    10 Feb 2003 - 7:03 PM

I bought one of these from staples on saturday, I choose it after a long process of deciding on the type of printer I needed. My money was very well spent as the output quality is outstanding. I looked at some of the HP printers and the Lexmark, I even considered the higher priced 925 but didn't really need the memory card facility. If you are going to buy a new photo printer then you can't go far wrong with the 830. And the PhotoQuicker software that comes with it is really good

dolphin
    dolphin  11
    13 Feb 2003 - 6:15 PM

830 printer, cost of inks. It's how organisations make there money, inexpensive printers but make up by the cost of the inks.
    Before purchasing a printer check the cost of inks first.

ella
    ella  1143 forum posts
    7 Mar 2003 - 10:16 PM

how well do black and white photos print? I know that most printers have problems with this, but the 830 suits my budget. Can anyone advise?

Skier
    Skier  11203 forum posts China
    29 Apr 2003 - 1:36 PM

I have beenn running one since before Xmas. I was surprised at how little ink I have used (versus what i thought - maybe I am not that heavier user).

Get the cartridges from MX2.com (channel islands) but expect to wait a week so stock up a little in advance.

I am pleased with the results on the whole. Get your head round the screen colour balance thing first so WYSIWYG. I use Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper for final copies. Leave them 24-48hrs and the quality improves (don't know why). I use a thinner Epson paper (Glossy) for drafts so I can compare.

PeterL
    PeterL  1126 forum posts
    29 Apr 2003 - 1:53 PM

Hi Skier

I did eventually end up buying one of these. I'm pleased with the results too.

I buy compatible cartridges from www.choicestationery.com - they come out at 10 for a pair (1 black/1 colour) or under 18 for 2 pairs. They guarantee the quality to be equal to originals. Do you buy compatible from MX2 - I think they are a bit more expensive?

What do you mean by "Get your head round the screen colour balance thing first so WYSIWYG". I have had some problems matching what I see on my TFT with what gets printed - is that what you mean?

Thanks,
    Peter

Skier
    Skier  11203 forum posts China
    30 Apr 2003 - 9:20 AM

Hi Peter

yes, I do only buy the original cartridges. I will try compatables at some point (not a complete snob!!) but haven't yet. I haven't heard of the company you mention so will give them a go sometime.

Yes,I do mean matching the colours you see on screen and what you get on the printer. I think I am there now and seem to get like for like results.
    http://www.astropix.com/HTML/J_DIGIT/MON_CAL.HTM
    This is one site I use, but there are a number on the net - search in google under monitor calibration. There is also a pretty good article (I scanned) in one of the Digital magazines this month. They talk about Adobe Gamma (again, a description on the Adobe site). This is a bit of slow prcess and you will need to redo periodically but does save ink. In addition, you will get used to what might appear to be a slightly odd colour on the monitor when you first load up pics, but at least you will know (and see)what you need to do to improve the picture. I think I have some other web addresses at home. Will post later.

Ben

grahammul
    grahammul  10120 forum posts United Kingdom
    5 Jul 2003 - 12:07 AM

The 830U is on special offer until 8July at Dixons, Currys and PC World. I just bought one at 53.95 from PC World this includes delivery.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.