Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Epson ink pad replacement.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
paulbroad
paulbroad  781 forum posts United Kingdom850 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2012 - 9:32 AM

For home use, the ink tank is, I think, unlikely to overflow. As I said in my opening gambit, the R200, when I opened it up still had 50% of the ink pad completely clean and the rest was almost dry. All Epson need to do is issue a disclaimer that, if you do not heed the warning, they bear no responsibility.

Then no legal problems.

I have my old R220 on a piece of old carpet, cut to size. No sign of leakage, no lost performance and rather quieter too. Must be close to it's third reset. Still feel Epson cannot switch off a product that they do not own!

paul

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Mar 2012 - 9:32 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

paulbroad
6 Mar 2012 - 9:41 AM

By the way - on another subject. Leftforum mentions registered agents for car servicing. The law says you can take your car to ANY motor servicing station you like, providing they follow the manufacturers correct schedule and use approved parts.

Don't fall into the trap of having main agents service your car because of warranty issues. Providing you are happy the garage does as the law says, you can use them. My son's full service charge on most makes is half (or less) the main dealer charge - for the same work. Both of his technicians are main dealer trained for a major make.

paul

User_Removed
6 Mar 2012 - 11:50 AM

Quote: By the way - on another subject. Leftforum mentions registered agents for car servicing. The law says you can take your car to ANY motor servicing station you like, providing they follow the manufacturers correct schedule and use approved parts.

Sorry for remaining off-topic. But if what you say is true, Paul, rather than folk myth, it deserves much better publicity. Can you please quote the (UK) law to which you refer. I rather suspect that it may only refer to not losing your statutory "consumer rights" rather than preserving the manufacturer's warranty which, in the case of most motor cars (unusually I have to say) often significantly exceeds your legal rights.

Thanks.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 6 Mar 2012 - 11:54 AM
digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
6 Mar 2012 - 12:01 PM

Actually I do remember a law being passed a couple of years ago, preventing manufacturers from forcing people to use their dealers in order to preserve the warranty.

Ian

paulbroad
6 Mar 2012 - 2:52 PM

Cant actually quote the law as such. I know my son pays an amount each year for registration that allows him to service any make of car within certain restrictions - that's why main dealers now offer free MOT's and such to try and keep you going to them. To do with monopolies I believe.

Paul

thewilliam
6 Mar 2012 - 2:59 PM

The danger of overflow becomes a lot more real when a CISS is used because such users are likely to work the printer harder and use more ink. One of our office printers has used about 2 litres of ink over the last couple of years.

Many consumer products are designed for the idiot user because law suits become steadily more ridiculous. Smith & Wesson pistols now have a safety notice engraved on the barrel. They were sued by a user who hadn't been warned that injury might result when a pistol is pointed at somebody and the trigger pulled.

darranl
darranl  5318 forum posts England
6 Mar 2012 - 6:00 PM

I don't have the link to hand but I have seen some conversions on line where the pad is also replaced with a continuous drain into a bottle.

paulbroad
7 Mar 2012 - 8:04 AM

The amount of ink that goes into the tank is a tiny part of the whole volume used - most of that is on the paper. Replacing the pad with a bottle is a possibility and quite easy I am told - on some models at least. The basic point is that Epson, judging by my experience with the R200 and 220 cause the printer to fail when it has several lifetimes left.

OK, a continuous ink flow system will increase the chance of overflow, but the point remains the same. YOU should have the right to decide what to do. Providing Epson issue disclaimers in the software notice, they are covered. YOU should decide what is worthwhile - it is YOUR printer. As I've said - my R220 sits on a bit of old carpet - no sign of problems. In an office, sit the printer in a flat tray - you would then see any ink and could act accordingly. I have a feeling the printer will actually wear out before any leak occurs.

Has anyone actually seen a printer leak in normal use, even with a cointinuous flow system?

Paul

Last Modified By paulbroad at 7 Mar 2012 - 8:04 AM
darranl
darranl  5318 forum posts England
7 Mar 2012 - 9:16 AM

Paul - you have made that point multiple times now but I don't see anyone here disagreeing with you Wink

I have seen some info in the past that retailers and manufacturers despite what we all believe can not just hide behind a one year warranty, a product that is sold needs to be fit for purpose and if it is reasonable that a product lasts so many years and fails before then it was not fit for purpose - would be interesting to know if anyone could successfully use that in the context of a fully working printer that disables itself.

thewilliam
7 Mar 2012 - 10:37 AM

Paul, our 7800 has a user-replaceable tank for waste ink and I've been weighing them before they're thrown away. Neglecting evaporation, each contains around 700ml of ink when the printer deems it to be full.

Roughly half of the ink has been going onto the paper and so far, we've thrown away about 3k worth of ink in the "maintenance tanks".

Epson printers use ink to flush the print-heads which are not readily replaceable and so expensive that it's more economic to scrap the printer if they get badly clogged. HP use cheaper print-heads that last for about a litre of ink and plug in just like an ink cartridge.

Last Modified By thewilliam at 7 Mar 2012 - 10:38 AM
thewilliam
7 Mar 2012 - 12:30 PM

The high cost of the Epson print-heads is one good reason for not using third-party inks or CISS in the more expensive models.

We do use a CISS with the cheapie Epson printer that we use for printing CDs and stiff media but in the knowledge that a complete set of Epson cartridges costs about the same as we paid for the printer. We could scrap the printer without shedding any tears.

OctoMartin
7 Mar 2012 - 3:39 PM

Up front I have a vested interest in the whole waste ink issue so pinch of salt recommended...

...but as this thread popped up on my regular search notification and nobody has provided a detailed post on all the options, I figure it's worth noting that there are practical measures you can take to keep your printer running.

Aside from the waste kits (my area) there are tools for resetting the printers in various forms including:
- the IPR's from Epson (although these now seem to only free up excess capacity, not reset repeatedly)
- the "unlocked" AdjProg service utilities that appear for various models
- and in the last year or so, the WICReset which is a pay per reset utility that keeps up with newer models that aren't supported elsewhere.

Installing a waste kit becomes pretty important too, whether it's a home brew or whatever as you would definitely end up with an ink puddle at some point or a fried printer (ink + electrics = nothing good).

Interestingly Epson are producing more and more printers with drop out tanks but no means of self-maintaining them outside of the warranty or North America. Whether this will change is open to conjecture but they have a vested interest in the form of their service centre franchises which they probably want to protect so it's unlikely.

Either way, I just wanted to add the above as I'm aware there's a prevelance for some to just dump 200+ worth of printer and buy a new one when a tenth of that (or a bit of DIY effort) will basically deal with the equivalent of a printers bad nappy day.

paulbroad
7 Mar 2012 - 6:42 PM

Sorry, I've been repeating myself. I apologise for that. Got a bit carried away. thanks for all the info and comment.

paul

viszla
viszla  1
13 Feb 2013 - 8:57 PM

I use the R1800 with a continuous flow, I finally got the dreaded "End of service life" message. What issue I have is all of the software that Epson or anyone for that matter is PC based, what about the Mac users? Are we being discriminated against, or is Epson just that lazy?

dcash29
dcash29  81904 forum posts England
13 Feb 2013 - 10:11 PM

I've fitted one of THESE to my r2400

Last Modified By dcash29 at 13 Feb 2013 - 10:13 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.