Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Epson OR Canon for high quality prints ? HELP PLS

debs 11 176 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2007 1:05PM
Hi, I have a fairly old Canon i990 (A4) printers (which is printing a bit funny currently) and am looking to replace it with an A3 printer as my son is doing photography GCSE and it would be useful. He will probably be doing some black and whites also, so I would like a good all round printer.

I have short listed the Epson R2400 or the Canon Pixma Pro9500 and would love to hear your comments for and against please. I want to buy him this as a Xmas pressie!

I have a Canon 40D and he has a Canon 30D.

Thanks for your help and advice in advice.

I do have quite a lot of Canon paper, but this I presume could still be used on an Epson?

Dibdobbs

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

8 Dec 2007 1:14PM
Also, I have heard of the Epson R1900 should I consider this also .... Thanks

Dibdobbs
NeilS e2
7 936 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2007 1:29PM
How is your budget, I have the IX5000 canon and its fine for A3 or less, produces great prints, but it won't do A3+, considerably cheaper than the Pro, not too sure how much better Pro quality is though
8 Dec 2007 1:38PM
My budget is up to 500 to 550

Thanks
Graham0602 8 72 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2007 4:12PM
Debs

See the " 3 pigs " review which I was pointed to when I asked a similar question on the forum a few weeks back

Compares the two printers that you mention plus the HP B9180

BTW, I still not made my mind up between the three

Graham
rossd 11 1.1k England
8 Dec 2007 4:42PM
This has cropped up before :

here

I had exactly the same choice to make about a week ago and in the end I settled for the Epson 2400 purely on the strength of the review in 'Digital Camera mag. Having seen the prints I believe I made the right choice. However, the Canon has the ability to print on printable CDs/DVDs which the Epson doesn't so I don't know if this is important for you.
stuwhitt 10 1.4k United Kingdom
8 Dec 2007 8:25PM
My view is that you cant go far wrong choosing an Epson, which one though depends on what you want from it. If your main interest is printing black and white then the R2400 is ideal as it features light black inks for printing beautiful neutral black and white prints, however the downside is that there are two black inks, one for matt media and another for glossy media and they need to be swapped in and out depending on what media you are printing on. Another choice would be the R1800, (which I presume the R1900 is replacing) which is the best A3 printer on the market for gloss prints due to the addition of a gloss optimiser which is unique for an A3 printer. How it works is that pigment inks (which most top end printers feature) sit on the surface of the paper which on a gloss print would result in what is known as gloss differential, this is because white areas of the print would not recieve any ink which shows if the print is viewed from a certain angle. The gloss optimiser gets round this by filling in the white areas creating a uniform surface on a gloss print, and it works very well indeed. The R1800's black and white preformance is good but nowhere near as good as the R2400 due to the lack of light black inks, however the matt and gloss black inks don't need swapping for different medias. If you are printing on matt or if your glossy prints will be displayed under glass then the gloss differential issue is unlikely to worry you so the R2400 will be a sound choice, but for glossy prints the R1800 is without doubt the best on the market.

HTH

Stu Smile
kinfatric 10 550 9 Scotland
8 Dec 2007 8:36PM
HP Photosmart Pro B9180 Printer for the in built self calibration features, the Adobe plugin plus running costs and no streaking of prints from a blocked nozzle or so the write ups say.
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2007 9:18PM

Quote:HP Photosmart Pro B9180 Printer for the in built self calibration features, the Adobe plugin plus running costs and no streaking of prints from a blocked nozzle or so the write ups say.

My experience with 14 months continuous use tends to confirm this, although some people have reported having serious reliability problems mine hasn't missed a beat, or needed recalibrating.

I just feed it new cartridges every now and then, stuff Photo Rag or canvas into its maw and out pop glorious prints, its that easy and reliable
Busseauboy 7 159 France
9 Dec 2007 12:03PM
Personally I would go for Epson. A short time ago I bought a Canaon i9950 for A3+ prints and I bought a load of trouble!

1. The Print Head went faulty within 3 months and although it was replaced under warranty I have remained suspicious!

2. After another few months of intermittent A4/A3+ use it has failed again - seems like the same problem! Continuous cleaning just makes matters worse at expensive inks cost and I have only ever used Canon inks!

3. I resurrected my old Epson 890 from an unheated, damp store where it had been for about a year. Gave it an external clean, cleaned the heads once (it had been put aside with the ink cassettes in place) and, lo and behold, it works perfectly again - even in French! But only A4 of course.

Methinks I will go back to Epson again for an A3+ when funds permit, after all its full capabilities are only used intermittently, and there's this new D300 popped its head up offering so much more to a D200 user!

Regards

**** M.
kinfatric 10 550 9 Scotland
9 Dec 2007 12:18PM
you can also replace the heads on the HP Photosmart Pro B9180 Printer yourself and one head handles two inks
I use the Epson and am very pleased with the results. Only downside are the small capacity ink cartridges. If I were buying now I'd consider the 3800 instead as it comes with 500 or so worth of inks and prints A2 but the 2400 is fine if you are not printing in large quantities.
11 Dec 2007 2:18AM
Well, thanks for all your comments.

Having read all the tests, I am even more confused!

I definitely want to be able to print Black and White, but running costs are also important. Ease of operation is important too ...

I am used to the Canon as I have an i990, but the HP looks good because of its self calibration. The epson evidently wastes quite a lot of ink when you use different blacks.

Another bonus of the HP is that it is networkable, which would be helpful, but not essential - it means my son and I can share it without having to worry about cables, as it can run on our home network.

Umm ... I may have to flip a coin in the end ...
fishiee e2
10 469 3 United Kingdom
12 Dec 2007 7:01PM
I use an R1800 and know a few people who use the R2400. When I went for the R1800 the other option was a Canon. I think an older model Canon. Back then the mags all said the Epson was the better choice, and from sample prints from both companies this appeared to be the case. The Canon was a little punchier but the Epson handled finer detail a lot better I thought. Back then they also said that if you weren't interested in monochrome then there was nothing to choose between the 1800 and 2400 so save a few hundred quid and get the 1800 which is what I did.

I have to say that back then I don't think there was an equivalent HP machine around, or if there wasn't it wasn't that highly rated. However we do use several cheap HP A4 printers at work and I have to say that they are super cheap in comparison to Epson equivalents to run as has been mentioned above and also they colour match amazingly well with what you see on screen with no adjustment from the standard settings. If I were in the line for a new printer now, given my recent experience with budget HP machines I'd definitely look into the HP option quite seriously.

Having said that I've read nothing about it so maybe it's already been slated in magazine reviews!
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
12 Dec 2007 10:44PM
read all about them all three pigment printers are rated very highly and it seems to come down to a pretty subjective decision, like - what are you already used to.

For me its the ease and stability of calibration, low running costs and user replaceable heads that sold me on the HP (that and the fact that I've never yet had a problem with an HP printer,over > 15 years in my office and at home)

straight to the review

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.