Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Epson Photo 830 V 925

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

royw
royw  11
13 Jan 2003 - 9:23 PM

I am looking at getting my first photo quality printer. When first looking I liked the look of the Epson Stylus Photo 925. Having investigated further it appears that the 830 will produce the same quality prints, and only excludes the direct print capability.
My question is does anybody know if the print quality from these 2 printers are the same.
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Jan 2003 - 9:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ian a smith
14 Jan 2003 - 12:55 PM

I have the 830 and am very impressed with the quality. If you download the spec sheets for the two printers from the Epson web site you will see they are identical in terms of performance. One thing I would advise is that you purchase a USB lead for the printer, when using it via the parallel interface you will find it to be very, very slow. The USB connection makes such a difference in terms of speed.

henno
henno  11 Scotland
14 Jan 2003 - 11:21 PM

I also have the Epson Photo 830 and am pleased with the results. Before I purchased the printer, I read various reviews and decided that this printer had the same general print quality as more expensive Epson models but was basically slower and lacked features. These points gave it a poorer rating in comparison with other manufacturers models. If you are not in hurry this is a good printer and is value for money. An additional point to note is that the colour cartridge does not last long. I use a refill kit and replace the cartridge every five fills (apparently the internal cartridge sponge can break down). A refill kit cost me 20 and includes ink to refill the colour cartridge about 6 times. (not sure about the figures for the black cartridge). The kit also includes a reset station for the cartridge chip - 100 times. Hope this information is helpful.

richiev4
richiev4  1126 forum posts
4 Mar 2003 - 6:33 PM

I too have the 830 and my mother owns the 925, on comparison of the same image printed on each we couldn't tell the difference! I would defiantly recommend the 830.

davidilsa
davidilsa  11
7 Mar 2003 - 3:17 AM

Hello,
can anybody help me to make a choice for a photo printer?
The budget is not a problem.
We own a canon d-60 camera and we want a very good printer.
Thank you davidilsa.

ella
ella  1143 forum posts
7 Mar 2003 - 10:00 PM

I am also thinking of buying an Epson 830, but can anyone tell me how well it prints black and white photographs. This seems to be a problem on most injets with a green cast or other problems.

richiev4
richiev4  1126 forum posts
10 Mar 2003 - 6:04 PM

Hi, I've just printed an image in black and white on my 830 and, as you say, there is a greenish tint to it; I believe that the problem occurs when the printer driver processes the image, but don't quote me on that. I have noticed however that there is an option to only use black ink, I haven’t tried this myself yet but I would imagine that it would eliminate the problem.

ella
ella  1143 forum posts
10 Mar 2003 - 6:32 PM

when you choose "black ink only" the colour is very acceptable, BUT the quality drops dramatically and there is some banding. Could you try yours (preferably with a quite dark picture as that seems to be the problem) and see if it is just my printer. If it is I could take it back and change it. THanks

PeterL
PeterL  1126 forum posts
16 Mar 2003 - 11:06 AM

I tried my 830 and yes, a monochrome image printed normally has a greenish tint and is also very flat. Using the "black ink only" option on mine as Ella has said corrects the problem. I used quite a dark image but could see no evidence of banding, even when printing on normal inkjet (i.e. not photo quality) paper.

Hope this helps,
Peter

ella
ella  1143 forum posts
16 Mar 2003 - 12:18 PM

I have just tried realigning the heads on my 830 to try and correct the banding problem and there is no improvement. Interestingly this problem only occurrs on glossy photo paper - the "inkjet quality paper" (i.e non coated non glossy stuff) does not have this problem.

PeterL - would you be so kind as to try this on yours as I am on the verge of returning it for a replacement 830 but don't want to waste the shops time. Thanks

PeterL
PeterL  1126 forum posts
16 Mar 2003 - 1:27 PM

Ella

I've now tried black & white on some glossy photo paper I have and there is no sign of banding on this either. What is noticeable on both glossy and matt with a "blank ink only" print is that the shadows are more speckled, I guess because the printer is limited by using black only and cannot mix colour to produce the shadow.

Hope this helps, Peter

PS. Are you using the original Epson ink?

ella
ella  1143 forum posts
16 Mar 2003 - 10:21 PM

This is a new machine with original ink. Also the paper is from the sample pack of Epson paper provided with the machine.

PeterL
PeterL  1126 forum posts
16 Mar 2003 - 11:40 PM

Sounds like it could have a problem then Ella and worth swapping out with your supplier.

I have had my 830 and am very pleased with it. I find the print quality on Epson's Photo Quality inkjet paper very good and preferable to the glossy photo paper, but that's probably more a personal preference than true for everyone.

Whilst I expect there are many more expensive printers that produce better results I think that for the 88 I paid for my 830 it represents exceptional value.

I hope you get your 830 sorted out.

Peter

ella
ella  1143 forum posts
19 Mar 2003 - 3:16 PM

have now exchanged the printer and am finding the same problem again! Epson say it is faulty so off to PC World again I guess. This is not funny now.

PeterL
PeterL  1126 forum posts
19 Mar 2003 - 3:22 PM

Sorry to hear that Ella - what do Epson actually say about the problem? Is it a known fault to them? If so, shouldn't they be providing an exchange for you so that you know you are getting one that works properly?

Peter

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.