Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Epson r2880 A3 Printer

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    markst33
    markst33  531 forum posts Ireland
    3 Mar 2010 - 10:56 AM

Hi there,

I am thinking of taking the plunge and investing in an A3 printer. I have been doing a bit of research and this one seems to get good reviews. Does anyone here have any experience or opinions on it.

I would be looking to print as many B&W as colour so its important that it handles both mediums well.

Thanks in advance,

Mark S.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Mar 2010 - 10:56 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

steve_kershaw

Hi
    I have been doing some looking too, but I have gone for the 3880 A2+ printer (literally just sent the payment)

the 2880 is 600ish the 3880 is 900ish, the 3880 comes with 80ml cartridges the 2880 with the 12ml cartridges,
    If you deduct the cost of the ink from the top line the printers are actually close in price,
    the 3880 is A2+ and being in the pro range is designed for heavy use, not the home use the 2880 is designed for,
    anyhow that's my theory, ask me in a year if it was correctTongue

davidbailie
    davidbailie e2 Member 11451 forum postsdavidbailie vcard United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Mar 2010 - 5:56 PM

Couldn't agree more Steve -

I enjoy my r2880 - notwithstanding had to have it replaced a week or so ago (Epson are like most - seriously indifferent until you assume a bulldozer attitude - then their response is good - get onto the local head office - forget the help lines ) - luckily I was within two weeks of expiry of guarantee - all this is by the by...............

I should looked more carefully at the ink capacities before buying - no question - if you have the funds go for the 3880 Smile

db

icphoto
    icphoto  131441 forum posts England
    3 Mar 2010 - 6:23 PM

I have had a 2880 for fifteen months now and I am very happy with it, printing anything from 6x4 up to A3+. Shop around for genuine Epson inks, as the price does vary alot depending on who you buy from, as does the price of Epson paper. You could always go for a continuous ink system from the start, this would keep the price of ink down - likes of permajet look good.

steve_kershaw

just looking at the costs of ink again

3880 is 80ml @ 45 = 0.56 per ml
    2880 is 12ml @ 11 = 0.91 per ml

thats about 5k a gallon on the 2880 Tongue

markst33
    markst33  531 forum posts Ireland
    3 Mar 2010 - 10:27 PM

What about getting refills of inks done ?

Dave_Canon
    19 Mar 2010 - 4:02 PM

R2880 cartridges are 8.99 not 11 so it is more expensive to run about a third. So it rather depends on how much you print. If you print a lot the saving in ink cost will pay for the extra initial purchase of the 3880 and if it is more robust it is better suited to heavy printing. I probably only print about 60 - 70 near A3 prints per year on my R2880 which is just less than two sets of cartridges so I might never recover the cost of buying a 3880.

As far as I am aware the print performance of the 2880 and 3880 is identical and I am very pleased with mine. To be honest the colour performance of several other printers are similar but it is the B&W performance of these two printers which excel. I now print on a variety of art papers with excellent results.

Dave

psiman
    psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
    19 Mar 2010 - 11:15 PM

I'd second all the comments here. I have an R2880 and its is great printer and the Advanced Black and White mode is very good. I'd agree that if your funds can stretch to it the 3880 will be more economical in the long run, though at between 40 and 50 a cartridge (and there's 9 of them!) I'd cringe every time I ordered a new one, even though I knew ultimately I was saving money. The 3880 is also the start of Epson's pro line and apparently is D2 printer and is supposedly pre-calibrated by Epson.

If you do go with a 2880, Amazon seem to be the cheapest place I've found for Epson inks.

Simon

mattw
    mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Mar 2010 - 12:59 AM

Quote: Amazon seem to be the cheapest place I've found for Epson inks

For my R1900, I found 7 Day Shop beat the amazon prices by at least 1 per cartridge, plus postage is free.

But I did find amazon was a good place to buy the actual printer (qualified for free pastage, and came the next day)

psiman
    psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
    20 Mar 2010 - 8:39 AM

Quote: I found 7 Day Shop beat the amazon prices by at least 1 per cartridge, plus postage is free

At the moment Amazon and 7 Days Shop's prices are the same at 8.99 and both offering free postage. I find Amazon tend to deliver more quickly, I've sometimes had to wait a week or more for 7 Day Shop deliveries whereas Amazon normally turns up within a few days.

Simon

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.